Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rubber dampers on rear hub (Read 85 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rubber dampers on rear hub
11/08/17 at 09:11:33

So I'm having the bikes torn down for the winter and one of the shops called asking if I wanted to keep the reinforced rear hub that Dave made.  It's a reinforced bushing that removes the play on the rear pulley from the rubber dampers.

The shop indicates that the rubber dampers are by design due to how the bike shifts.  Basically a completely solid rear hub causes more wear during the shifting process from what I gather.

What do you guys think?  I'd test it out but I think it would take two long and I have other tests going on with the bikes that haven't been completed.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rubber dampers on rear hub
Reply #1 - 11/08/17 at 09:39:58

Dave's hub takes the wobble out of the hub, and should not lock up the hub.
Dampers are still in operation per design.

They may take jerk out of a crappy shift, but they are in there for dampening the power pulses of a big single.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/08/17 at 09:45:11

Dave knows what they do and why they are supposed to be there. I'd be shocked if he made a solid hub.
Mine is fully functional and uses the dampers.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/08/17 at 11:58:04

The bushing that I added to the pulley hub takes out the pulley "wobble" and helps keep the rear pulley in proper alignment with the belt.

The bushing does not alter the ability of the hub to "rotate" and use the rubber dampers as they were designed to operate.  (Hopefully somebody followed my directions and  greased the bushing before assembly).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/08/17 at 14:57:07

Ok that makes more sense.

As for greasing the bushing I don't recall anything being said about that, and couldn't find it in the saved correspondence so there's a good chance that was never done.

When the new one is installed next year I will make a note to have it greased.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 11/09/17 at 05:54:29

verslagen1 wrote on 11/08/17 at 09:39:58:
Dave's hub takes the wobble out of the hub, and should not lock up the hub.
Dampers are still in operation per design.

They may take jerk out of a crappy shift, but they are in there for dampening the power pulses of a big single.

I think all bikes need some sort of "buffer" between the trans and the rear wheel to take up the solid jerks that are there when one hits a bump or slips the rear wheel when accelerating or simply transmission of power from trans to wheel.  The dampeners provide that cushion.  Not having them would be like an automobile without springs.  Bang Bang Bang.....

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/09/17 at 07:53:57

Suzuki has cut a lot of corners when they built the Savage.....so I would suspect that they also would have eliminated the cushion hub if they felt it wasn't needed.

The bushing I made allows the cushion hub to still rotate in the way it was designed - all the bushing does is take some of the eccentric load off the pulley hub bearing, and eliminate the "wobble" that develops as the bearing wears).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 11/09/17 at 08:28:34

Dave wrote on 11/09/17 at 07:53:57:
Suzuki has cut a lot of corners when they built the Savage.....so I would suspect that they also would have eliminated the cushion hub if they felt it wasn't needed.

The bushing I made allows the cushion hub to still rotate in the way it was designed - all the bushing does is take some of the eccentric load off the pulley hub bearing, and eliminate the "wobble" that develops as the bearing wears).

--------------
Great job!  I admire that you do so much and also share that with us.  THANKS!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:28:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rubber dampers on rear hub

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.