Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lookng for a Savage doner bike (Read 356 times)
RobbieKnobbie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia, PA
Lookng for a Savage doner bike
11/06/17 at 14:13:30

Part I, Introduction...
Hi all, I'm (potentially) new to LS650s, but not so new to bikes. I've been riding on the street for 31 years, since the day I turned 16. Didn't even get a car license till I was 28.

My current bikes are an 89 FJ1200 and a 2000 1200 Bandit that's been lightly cafe modded. Lightly.

I've been fairly active in maintenance and wrenching in general, so I'm not afraid to get dirt under my nails. I have an engineering degree, own a machine/fabrication shop, and used to be a weldor. Whatever that's worth.

Part II: The questions

OK, so I have my mind set on a project for the winter, and that project centers around a 650 Savage. I need the motor, a clean title, the wheels, or at least the hubs, the electricals, and enough of the frame to be able to see the VIN number. The rest will just go on the shelf.

So I see this bike on craigslist...
(tried to post a link to the craigslist ad, but I can't do that in my first post, so I'll post it in a minute...)

lowest price for a bike with a title I've found, owner *says* it runs well, and I don't care about the forks, triple clamps, or handle bars.AND its got a Supertrapp slip on, which is a BIG plus, cause I need one for this project.

So far so good...

But I notice the blueing on the pipe goes all the way back to the slip on, and that raises a red flag for me. Don't think I've noticed the discoloration go THAT far before, usually just down the header and not much further. Is this common on these bikes, or has this one been left to overheat too many times? Assuming it actually runs, this overheating potential is my one big concern.

Anything else to look for on this model? Obviously I'm not going to be taking it for a test ride any time soon, so I'm limited to hearing it run. Your thoughts and experience is appreciated!

Mommy says I'm special
  IP Logged
RobbieKnobbie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia, PA
Re: Lookng for a Savage doner bike
Reply #1 - 11/06/17 at 14:14:17

Mommy says I'm special
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #2 - 11/06/17 at 14:18:56

That is REALLY blue.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/06/17 at 14:25:10

If you go get it you can check out the valves. I'd oil the cylinder before dragging a piston up and down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/06/17 at 14:33:37

Personally, I would not worry about the blueing.  I have a trapp, and it blues that way.  It's kinda odd for the header to blue at the bottom rather than the top... could be the picture, but may indicate that it's caused by polish.

Key thing that I would be looking at are the valves, any ticking or knocking.
worn out cam or rocker will knock at the top where the rocker hits the decomp cam.
A worn out cam chain will cause a knocking on the clutch cover right behind the oil filter cover at the top of the case.
A knocking that you can't locate could either be the piston, or a loose flywheel nut.

w/out riding, that's about it.  just leaks that are easy to take care of.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 11/06/17 at 14:57:19

Where are you located ?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 11/06/17 at 15:14:28

That POS isn't worth $600. Blueing of the pipe is the least of its troubles. The blueing on the header pipe doesn't look that unusual. I don't know why the Supertrap is discolored...it could have blued on a completely different bike. If you're looking for a project, then part of the project will include a borascope of the head and cylinder wall to confirm the condition.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
RobbieKnobbie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #7 - 11/06/17 at 20:45:48

1. I'm outside philadelphia pa. Sorry, should have added that to my profile.

2. I dont know the color/temperature progression for chrome, but for steel blue means 600 deg. And then it goes to grey at 800. So i do t think the pipe is blueing fr9m the bottom up so much as the bottom 'only' reached 600 while closer to the motor it hit 800+.

3. Gary in NJ: thats a little harsh, could you tell me how you really feel?

Thanks for the input guys. Bottom line, is it worth my time? Next closest real i've found is 500 more, lacks the supertrapp pipe, plus i'd be depriving someone else of a running bike!

Mommy says I'm special
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 11/06/17 at 21:47:39

Gary might not be as harsh as you think ,I don't see the front brake caliber ,the hit was hard enough to snap the front right fork(never seen that before) ,the neck may not be straight ,and that's wear the vin  numbers are stamped. you said that you don't want the front end ,but there aren't many others you can make fit ,(vs 800 suz has been used with a little work). the pipe being that blue is a bit scary to me being the header is two ply, it looks like someone put on the supertrapp but never tried to tune /rejet ,and ran the hell out of it.It may be the sale of the century or a pig in a poke ,I'd go see it in person and be looking very hard!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 11/07/17 at 02:26:05

Does that Trapp have road rash?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/07/17 at 06:02:33

I'm not sure if everyone actually read your post.  But, $600 for a ~10k mile motor, a title and the only part of the frame you need???  Buy it today!!!

You'll be able to part out the rest of the bike for most of what you paid and still have what you need for your project.  Front bakes parts are easy to get, (I have a complete unit).  You can even get a big brake kit if that fits your project.

As for the Supertrap, it's probably due to an air leak where it's mounted to the header.  My Dyna muffer did the same thing when I had a leak. Do yourself a favor and overpay for Ryca's adapter.  It fits perfect and will save you a bunch of headaches.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 11/07/17 at 06:54:46

I would buy it just for the title and the motor ! The rest can be bought on eBay or sell what your not going to use. Once you have the title transferred then you can build it in to almost anything !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 11/07/17 at 06:57:38

Maybe jack it up , start it and run it thru the gears before you buy it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
RobbieKnobbie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #13 - 11/07/17 at 07:28:54

Yeah, definitely going to run the motor prior to purchase, but I didn't think to run it up through the gears. Do they have tranny problems I'm not aware of?

The front forks and (one) brake for this project are coming off a spare FJ1200 I have. They're a little weak for a 550lb literbike, but they should be just fine on a 350lb thumper (dealing with my porky bottom is another issue...)

To make that pairing I'm probably going to have to make new triple clamps and axle for it.

The brake caliper is hanging off the side of the bike. Its a little tough to spot, but its there. I want spoked wheels for the project, but I also want to use the FJ calipers (front). I was actually thinking about putting the Savage front caliper on the back of my FJ to cut a little unsprung mass back there. The stock back binder is over-powered and weighs about 86 lbs.

Didn't think about selling off the extra bits, but you're absolutely right, I could probably get a nice portion of my money back... to finance the project some more, of course!

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate the ideas!

Mommy says I'm special
  IP Logged
RobbieKnobbie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #14 - 11/07/17 at 07:39:13

ohiomoto wrote on 11/07/17 at 06:02:33:

As for the Supertrap, it's probably due to an air leak where it's mounted to the header.  My Dyna muffler did the same thing when I had a leak. Do yourself a favor and overpay for Ryca's adapter.  It fits perfect and will save you a bunch of headaches.

Good points. I was planning on putting a high pipe on the left side, leading to the Supertrapp. I've seen some of RYCA's stuff and it's nice, to be sure, I'll look around for their adaptor. THANKS

Ironically, a guy not far from me sold a mid-project Savage with a RYCA cafe kit half installed. I think he wanted 900 for it, which was reasonable, I thought, but the motor was completely separate and there would be no way to run it, or even turn it over before forking over my hard earned play money, so I passed. I'm gonna second guess that one for a while.  Undecided

Mommy says I'm special
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:28:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lookng for a Savage doner bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.