Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lookng for a Savage doner bike (Read 356 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Lookng for a Savage doner bike
Reply #15 - 11/07/17 at 08:07:06

Ruttly, has a point ,here it run ,if there's motor/trans  damage it'll cost more to fix then it's worth.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 11/07/17 at 08:54:05

RobbieKnobbie wrote on 11/07/17 at 07:28:54:
Yeah, definitely going to run the motor prior to purchase, but I didn't think to run it up through the gears. Do they have tranny problems I'm not aware of?

Transmission problems are not common - but most of these bikes haven't hit something head on at a high rate of speed! Shocked

The bluing doesn't look too bad to me - the amount and color of the blue can be accelerated by riding in traffic, the humidity where you live, etc.  The blue appears to a rather light shade - which isn't as hot as a deep blue color indicates.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 11/07/17 at 09:24:07

A crash like that will sometimes bend the foot controls, so shifting will be affected, but may not be a problem as you're going set it straight or replace anyway.

Very few bikes have shifter problems that weren't induced by the rider.

And the only tranny problem I'd be concerned with is the main drive shaft splines.  Check the fit with the drive pulley.  put in 1st gear, pull the pulley cover, mark the washer, nut and pulley so that you can see any rotational shift, then rock the bike forward or force the wheel to turn.  And check the marks.  Then rock it backward and check again.

Any movement means the splines are loose and bad news.

WWW   IP Logged
RobbieKnobbie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #18 - 11/08/17 at 10:19:47

OK, so about this Savage... It's at a local independant bike shop being sold on consignment. Gino's Cycles in Philadelphia. I've dealt with them before and Gino is a pretty stand up guy. I actually feel a little better about it when I learned that.

I was in the neighborhood dropping off parts at the heat treater, and Gino's is only a couple blocks away. Fortunately I had a couple extra minutes, so I stopped in, and got there just as he was opening. He showed me the bike, though I didn't get to hear it run. He offered to go in and get the battery and fire it up for me , but I couldn't spare the time - had to get back to the shop and other deliveries to make.

He said the reason the one fork tube was snapped was that the owner tried to straighten it in a press and snapped it. He says the damage to the bike was from a driver running into the bike as the owner was waiting to turn off a side street. Car hit the fork slider. The front wheel actually looked pretty good, like it hadn't taken any damage.

Foot pegs on the left side are messed up, but the shifter linkage is OK, fealt like it shifted fine (again, motor wasn't running).

All four turn signals were broken at one point or another, but the tank, fender and other bodywork looked OK, no scratches on the motor cases.

The 56 bolts holding the baffle in the exhaust are a 'user-servicable' adjustment made at one point, and I'd have to clean that mess up at some point.

The seats have cloth inserts instead of being solid vinyl, which I hadn't seen before, unfortunately the cloth was ripped by the stitching at the back.

So all in all, it looked like it was in half way decent shape before the accident. I'm going to head back down this weekend to hear it run. If it sounds good, I will probably buy it.

And then the fun starts!

Mommy says I'm special
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 11/08/17 at 13:46:28

It never hurts to ask
How long has it been here?
How much interest have you seen?
Yeah, it's
Consignment
You Know the guy,
He's getting a percentage of the sale price.
You'd be ahead to give him his slice of the pie and negotiate the price down with the seller.
It's not really worth six hundred to Anyone who isn't trying to build something.
And few want to build a Suzuki 650 thumper.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 11/08/17 at 16:11:06

This is a parts bike, plain and simple.  
$350-400 max.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 11/08/17 at 16:33:39

LANCER wrote on 11/08/17 at 16:11:06:
$350-400 max.

Yeah, what he said....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 11/08/17 at 20:21:23

the cloth seats could be after market gel seats ,I had them at one point .Is the cloth a greenish color? Mine were. you might take a tape measure with you and measure from the forward engine mounting through bolt to the bottom of the neck from both sides to check if there 's any twist .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/09/17 at 05:21:12

LANCER wrote on 11/08/17 at 16:11:06:
$350-400 max.
----------------------

With a $1,000 motor and clean title, which is what the OP is looking for, it would be worth the asking price to me.  Would I try to get it for less?  Absolutely!  But, I'd pay the $600 if it runs.

RK,

When I got my 96, it came with a blown up, no title, no wheels, no exhaust, 20k mile 87 parts bike.  I've sold off $1,450 worth of parts from that bike at pretty low prices.  (Except a heat shield Eegor bought off me.    He/she sent me way more than I asked for.)   I netted another $500 from the parts I've sold off my 96 after my build.  

« Last Edit: 11/09/17 at 10:59:34 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 11/09/17 at 09:59:35

heat shield Eegor bought off me.    He sent me way more than I asked for.)

I'm thinking ole EEEgore might just be a woman.. not sure, just leaning that way.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 11/09/17 at 10:58:25

Fixed it.  He/she was too generous. Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 11/09/17 at 12:20:10

It could be that for NJ the $600 price is OK - prices across the US can vary quite a bit.....a bargain in one area may be too high of a price somewhere else.

I am somewhat amazed by how cheaply you can get some nice looking motorcycles......if you aren't fussy about having any particular model there are some bikes that can get you a lot of bang for your buck.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/suzuki-gsx-r600-clean-low/6368870522.htm
l

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2003-honda-vt600-shadow-600/6326843039.h
tml

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2001-buell-blast/6321110945.html

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1998-honda-shadow-750ace/6342080839.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RobbieKnobbie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #27 - 11/09/17 at 12:30:37

ohiomoto wrote on 11/09/17 at 05:21:12:
With a $1,000 motor and clean title which is what the OP is looking for.  It would be worth the asking price to me if I were in the OPs shoes.   Would I try to get it for less?  Absolutely!  But, I'd pay the $600 if it runs.

That's about how I feel. The motor (assuming it runs well), electricals and title are worth 5 or 6 hundred to me, Anything else I get out of it is gravy. The supertrapp pipe I was going to buy for about $275 regardless, so the fact that this bike has one already on it is a bonus as well.

Are the wheels, tires (pirelli, pretty decent tread) rear fender, sissy bar, air box, shocks, battery box, side covers, air box, rear pulley and belt covers worth that much though? Those dont seem like high dollar items to me? I'll give selling them a shot. Maybe the tank's worth a buck or two.

The ad's been on CL for a month now and obviously no takers, and he said yesterday that $400 of that is to pay off the service bill for another bike the owner has in his shop, so the other 200 is flexible. I'll probably offer him 5 and be happy at 550.

In this area, savages are common enough, but they start at 1200.

Mommy says I'm special
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #28 - 01/27/18 at 12:11:36

I ended up grabbing this bike. It has a good frame, the motor has 9500 miles on it and price was right.  The guy selling, Geno, has a bike shop and he is supposed to be straight up honest. I bought it for use as a mock up and to figure out things rather than have to take my other Savage apart. When done can just swap everything over and my ride is not out of commission. Also provided good seats to have re-upholstered in advance. Drained the oil it looked clean, I'll deal with the mechanics after I finish the mods work for my 1st savage.

If anyone is interested in the Supertrap they can have it, it's beat (really beat) but if you want to play with one before buying it's yours for the shipping, probably about 15 bucks. It was used from another bike previous. The buckhorns are slightly bent but could be straightened, same deal. The bag brackets are rusty but the same deal if anyone wants them.

The work started yesterday with checking out fit of new Highway Hawk drag bars and Voodoo exhaust. The muffler will require some fabs to fit and mount.

IMG_2047.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 01/27/18 at 15:48:20

Nice solo seat

IP Logged