Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
battery charger (Read 149 times)
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

battery charger
11/04/17 at 03:28:26

I bought a 1.2 amp battery charger.  The battery reads 14v & the charger is in float mode.  What is the easiest way to ensure the battery is protected from over or under charging?  Also, how about hooking two batteries up in parallel & using one charger to maintain both?  Thanks!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: battery charger
Reply #1 - 11/04/17 at 08:47:21

Hooking two in series should work but you will have differences due to battery chemistry from age, differing bettery types, etc that will probably result in one being slightly overcharged while the other is slightly under.

The voltage from the high battery will continually try to charge the low battery. The voltage read from a VOM will be an average of the two batteries. You'll be doing what the solar power people call an equalizing charge. You'll be forcing power in until all batteries are brought up to the level of the highest battery or the charger cutoff voltage whichever is lower. Might cook a weak battery. If both batteries are in good condition, probably work. Make sure they are the same chemistry, either liquid, AGM, etc.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/04/17 at 09:36:28

Series?

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 11/04/17 at 11:48:01

buster6315 wrote on 11/04/17 at 09:36:28:
Series?

Series = double voltage
Parallel = double amperage
Wink Cool

Unless you have a 24 volt charger, don't do series!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/04/17 at 14:29:53

How much did the charger cost?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 11/04/17 at 14:50:16

Best is to simply get a "Battery Tender" Which is designed to charge a moderately down battery, and then maintain the charge.  Great for extended NON-use of the motorcycle such as a month or so of storage or through the non-riding winter season.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/04/17 at 18:49:32

I've got two Battery Tenders.  So, I bought a cheapo charger.  After reading up on some of these, I realized I'd better keep an eye on their charging abilities.  I hate going into the garage and smelling rotten eggs from a fried battery!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 11/05/17 at 03:26:01

buster6315 wrote on 11/04/17 at 03:28:26:
I bought a 1.2 amp battery charger.  The battery reads 14v & the charger is in float mode.  What is the easiest way to ensure the battery is protected from over or under charging?  Also, how about hooking two batteries up in parallel & using one charger to maintain both?  Thanks!

Most modern battery chargers that include a digital dispaly are "smart" and will turn themselves off when the battery reaches a full charge.  The problem with them is that for some reason they also see a dead battery the same as a fully charged one - so they won't turn on if the battery is completely dead......so the old chargers are needed for a fully dead battery......or you can connect a good battery in parallel with the one that needs to be charged to fool the smart charger.

If your charger goes into a "float" mode....it sounds like your charger will recognize a charged battery and function to maintain the battery. Does the manual claim it can be used as a "maintainer"?  I don't know if chargers and maintainers both shut off at the same voltage....the charger could be shutting off at a higher voltage than a maintainer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/05/17 at 04:51:29

Yeah, I am wary of cheap products.  Why do I buy them?  dunno!  It has a green led for float/fully charged battery & a red one for charging. I'll keep an eye on it.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #9 - 11/06/17 at 00:51:33

If you already have battery tenders and want to use a cheap non regulated one then wouldn't the old fashioned method work well where you estimate the charge from the voltage and just give it as many Ah's as you reckon it needs.

For example if you have a 12Ah batter and it's a wet cell and is reading 12.4V you might estimate it to be at 50% charge so if you have a 1.2A charger putting out 14V give the battery 6 hours at 1.2A which should give you that final 50% plus a bit extra lost due to heat.

buster6315 wrote on 11/05/17 at 04:51:29:
Yeah, I am wary of cheap products.

As someone once said "I can't afford cheap shoes"

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Franklin2135
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/06/17 at 06:48:02

How long would you say it is safe to keep a battery on a "smart" charger in "float" mode? The bike's gonna be laid up for about 3 months and I don't want to neglect the battery on the one hand, or fry it on the other!

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #11 - 11/06/17 at 10:37:01

I have battery maintainers on several vehicles I don't use in winter, sometimes for as long as five months, and I have been doing that for several years. I have not fried a battery yet.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 11/07/17 at 17:28:38

I use my Battery Tender Jr. for just long enough to bring the battery up to full charge. I might plug it up twice a week for a few minutes each time as I walk by the bike. If I forget and leave it plugged up overnight...oh well! I'll just unplug it as I leave for work in the morning.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Franklin2135
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/08/17 at 08:40:36

Kris01 wrote on 11/07/17 at 17:28:38:
I use my Battery Tender Jr. for just long enough to bring the battery up to full charge. I might plug it up twice a week for a few minutes each time as I walk by the bike. If I forget and leave it plugged up overnight...oh well! I'll just unplug it as I leave for work in the morning.

The bikes are in storage and the batteries are on chargers in the (ventilated) basement. It's a little inconvenient, and I might forget, but I think I may try that.
By the way, I notice that the AGM battery from my Honda CB360 charges much more quickly than the flooded battery from my S40, and they are about the same age with similar output ratings. I wonder if that means anything?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 11/08/17 at 08:54:32

I would get a timer and set it for an hour or two a day.

I think that's the way digger had his set up.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:37:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › battery charger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.