Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stator may be hors de combat (Read 431 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Stator may be hors de combat
Reply #15 - 10/30/17 at 08:34:10

What year is the parts bike, and how many miles were on it?

On a related subject, I have a large pile of Savage parts (take-offs) leftover from when my buddy Jud and I did a couple of RYCA bikes.  Fenders, seats, light, saddlebags, windshield, mirrors, on and on and on.  Maybe we could trade.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 11/04/17 at 08:16:53

UPDATE 4 Nov 2017  The local Suzuki price is a little over $500 (includes tax)  I'll think I use the Electrosport version and also replace the rectifier/regulator and the gasket.  On Amazon it'll be around $100.  There are some available for $40, and they might be very well made, but I am a little angsty about something that only costs about $20 to make.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #17 - 11/04/17 at 08:36:42

I put one of those $40 stators on mine 2 years ago and haven't had any problems since.  Seems to work just fine. Biggest issue is you don't get the igniton pickup coil and you have to cut and splice the wires.

I don't know if you did it or not but stator voltage checks are with the stator unplugged from the regulator.  The easiest check of the regulator is replacement.  You can check the diodes. I've never heard of a way to check the regulating electronics.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 11/04/17 at 09:11:04

Steve H wrote on 11/04/17 at 08:36:42:
I don't know if you did it or not but stator voltage checks are with the stator unplugged from the regulator.  The easiest check of the regulator is replacement.  You can check the diodes. I've never heard of a way to check the regulating electronics.

I checked the stator voltages with the rectifier/regulator disconnected.  "three yellow wires connected to the stator give good news and bad news.  
---- Good news: None are grounded, and there is continuity amongst all three.  
---- Bad news: at 2000 rpm they each output about 26 volts.  4000 rpm, 49 volts.  5000 rpm 63 volts."
  100 volts is required.

Glad yours worked well.  I would expect they usually do.

In the winter around here, though, I use a heated jacket and gloves, GPS, more lights, etc.  The Electrosport stator with their rectifier/regulator is supposed to put out 20% or so more watts, so I'll probably be getting those.

Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 11/06/17 at 06:54:08

Heated jacket & gloves & extra lights &gps ? Don't you think your asking a bit to much from your stater? It may have caused overheating /damage to the windings and the reason for your low voltage output. did you test between the yellow wires for resistance?(ohms) and if so what readings did you get? Clymers says 1-2 ohms , if you have readings less than that ,it may be that the coating on the wire as broken down shortening the path of flow and lowering the voltage output.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 11/06/17 at 13:58:21

batman wrote on 11/06/17 at 06:54:08:
Heated jacket & gloves & extra lights &gps ? Don't you think your asking a bit to much from your stater? It may have caused overheating /damage to the windings and the reason for your low voltage output. did you test between the yellow wires for resistance?(ohms) and if so what readings did you get? Clymers says 1-2 ohms , if you have readings less than that ,it may be that the coating on the wire as broken down shortening the path of flow and lowering the voltage output.

I wasn't asking too much from the stator because I never used the gloves, and I have LEDs in the headlight for daytime riding.  They only take about an amp.  So, even when the vest was on, the load on the stator was probably not much more than the stock headlight.  I never blew a fuse except for a few years ago when I was building the bike.

If you read the first post, you saw that the yellow wires checked good for resistance and continuity, but the voltage output was well less than 100 volts at 5,000 rpm.

« Last Edit: 03/07/19 at 17:19:37 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 11/06/17 at 22:15:27

No you said in your first post you had continuity,and you tested them to ground,that doesn't tell resistance ,you have to test for ohms.If you did test for ohms what were the three figures you read?Are they a secret ?Why test the leads to ground ? Chances are rather small of a ground .

« Last Edit: 11/07/17 at 13:43:04 by batman »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 11/07/17 at 13:57:08

batman wrote on 11/06/17 at 22:15:27:
No you said in your first post you had continuity,and you tested them to ground,that doesn't tell resistance ,you have to test for ohms.If you did test for ohms what were the three figures you read?Are they a secret ?Why test the leads to ground ? Chances are rather small of a ground .

Picky picky picky,...

"No you said in your first post you had continuity,and you tested them to ground,that doesn't tell resistance ,you have to test for ohms."  When Clymer's says 1 ohm, for all practical purposes, that is continuity.  I tested them all,.. they were around 1 ohm. Continuity.  When you do that test you are looking for number a LOT larger than 1 ohm to indicate a problem. 2 ohms, 1 ohm, nada ohms,... all good,.. all indicate continuity.

"If you did test for ohms what were the three figures you read?Are they a secret ?"  I did test for ohms.  See the previous answers to your misconceptions.  You are kidding about the secret, I assume.  Maybe not, though,... in which case I don't know how to respond to a goofy statement like that.

Why test the leads to ground ? Chances are rather small of a ground  Because it is part of any stator test procedure.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 11/08/17 at 11:28:26

Why test for a ground? If you do the output test first,you've already confirmed AC  on all three phases of the windings ,then it's impossible .If there had been a ground you would have one reading of 63 volts and two of 0 volts.           You assured me that the load you place on the bike is not excessive, but there is another way the windings can be damaged ,time and the fact that they sit in contaminated motor oil 24-7-365 .the coating on the wire (varnish ?) could brake down, the 6 windings at the bottom being most likely to be attacked first, and the bike leaning on the side stand, most of it's life.The 1.5 volts put out by the meter in use may not be strong enough to jump between the coils in each winding and therefore show a normal resistance reading in ohms ,100 volts AC may be a different ball game.There are 18 total windings on the stater ,if six at the bottom become damaged (I assume two for each phase) then generation would be cut by 1/3 . 100 volts (perfect )X 2/3=65volts , your readings 63 volts, probably just a coincidence. Testing the stater to ground is not needed ,don't believe everything you see on you -tube.(what do you think backfeeding ac through the grounds on your bike would do to your battery and the entire  electricial system? I'm guessing you'd have blown fuses and any light blubs that were on ,and the bike wouldn't be running)the fact that the bike is running is proof that there is no ground in your stater.

« Last Edit: 11/08/17 at 21:23:51 by batman »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 11/08/17 at 13:50:23

DUDE!
I Wish I could say all of that.
I would understand so much more than I do.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 11/08/17 at 14:55:32

Why bikes keep their alternators in boiling oil, is beyond me... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 11/09/17 at 09:53:20

Is there any, uhh,
Alternative?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 11/09/17 at 12:08:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/09/17 at 09:53:20:
Is there any, uhh,
Alternative?

An oil seal on the outside of the crank bearing......all the 2 stroke bikes I had in the 70's had a seal on the left side and the magneto and points where in a dry environment.

I wonder if the oil actually helps to keep the windings cooler than they would be without the oil?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 11/09/17 at 16:26:10

That's how Guzzi manages the dry clutch.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 11/09/17 at 17:19:55

There inside to make the motor as compact as possible ,oil isn't the greatest way to cool it ,but it is a good insulator , electrically.(much like the transformer on the pole feeding your house -oil filled)Your oil temps running between 270F -300F don't have much effect on  the stater ,as any solder used in auto/mc wiring as a melting point in the 400-500F area. Frequent oil changes help rid the impurities in the oil an extend the life of the stater windings. Fully enclosing the alternator to protect it from the elements , without any cooling could be bad, much like extended use of your starter motor. Air cooling would be difficult , expensive and somewhat bulky .take heart , 90% of motorcycles made use the same system as our savage.

« Last Edit: 11/11/17 at 20:43:54 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:53:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stator may be hors de combat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.