Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Changes coming to Suzuki ! (Read 446 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Changes coming to Suzuki !
10/25/17 at 00:00:24

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Changes coming to Suzuki !
Reply #1 - 10/25/17 at 05:07:17

That's not encouraging..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 10/25/17 at 06:13:43

There are hard times ahead for motorcycle manufacturers. Companies like Harley Davidson who have not innovated their product for decades will become a fraction of who they are...if they are able to properly downsize (otherwise they'll just disappear). Even established brands who sell competitive products like Suzuki and Kawasaki, who consider BNG an improvement, are in for trouble.

The motorcycle industry has done a poor job at selling the value and fun of riding. Look at what Honda did in the 60's and 70's - and they were considered a novelty brand in the 60's. No one is aggressively marketing motorcycling for motorcycling sake.

The future belongs to companies like KTM, Zero, Yamaha and a bunch of smaller/nitche companies that have their ear to the market and take chances. These companies aren't afraid to innovate, create new market segments and deploy technology. Moreover, they market to a broad spectrum of riders - and non-riders.

I have owned a lot of motorcycles over the years. I don't know why, but over 50% have been Suzuki. But if they refuse to take chances and continue to turn-out boring products - then they'll pay the price.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 10/25/17 at 06:30:52

Wonder if it is connected with the poor Suzuki auto sales they suffered over the last few years.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/25/17 at 07:28:40

It is a bit weird - but nobody is making a motorcycle right now that I would buy new at a dealer.....I also just don't have enough disposable income to justify buying a new bike when I can buy a very nice used bike at half price.

The Triumph Thruxton would be great - but it is out of my budget.  The Honda CB500X with detachable luggage would most likely be the best "new" bike for me to consider if I wanted a dependable bike to just go riding and exploring on and not worry that much about what the bike looks like.
http://powersports.honda.com/2017/cb500x.aspx

I would buy a Suzuki 650 retro standard bike like the Tempter....they don't make it. (So I am starting to build one).

I would buy a mid sized (600 - 800cc) Sport Touring bike that is comfortable for double riding...they don't make it so I bought a used Honda NT700.

If I was much better off financially - I would consider buying a BMW R1200 RS.....but the huge amount of electronic stuff on it scares me.  I might go looking for a low mileage R1100 RS that has carbs and can be worked on by an average mechanic....they are pretty cheap on the used market as they are 16 - 24 years old!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 10/25/17 at 07:52:39

Dave wrote on 10/25/17 at 07:28:40:
It is a bit weird - but nobody is making a motorcycle right now that I would buy new at a dealer...

I would buy a Suzuki 650 retro standard bike like the Tempter....they don't make it. (So I am starting to build one).

---------------------------------------------------

Exactly the same for me.  I wanted a retro bike without the retro problems so I built one.  I put 4k miles on it this summer and didn't have to do any maintenance beyond checking the oil level and air it the tires.   (The little bit of exhaust work and carburetor tuning were more unfinished build items than anything else.)   I could never do that with the old Triumph and GT500 I owned a while back.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 10/25/17 at 08:25:30

Keep in mind they are not cutting the US program where pretty much all the best racers in the world currently race.  GP racing has almost turned into a feeder series for European riders to cut their teeth on at the pro level before coming to the use to race the Pro Motocross and Supercross series.  (And there are a lot of really talented Euro riders right now.)  

The Japanese series has traditionally been a testing series ever since the AMA implemented it's production rule back in 1986.  After that, the one off "works" and pre-production bikes were "raced" in Japan buy test riders.  Over the years, one off "works" bikes gone by the wayside and Japan is mostly just production bikes and early production models.  

I think OEMs feel they can test without racing and then just release a new model and work with it.  KTM has even been releasing mid year production models to get new tech into the hands of their racers early.  This gives them some racing experience that they can then apply to the next model year without being forced to switch the whole team to the new bikes.

The OEM's have other options theses days, but it still sucks that the industry is depressed.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/25/17 at 10:53:47

If you have $25,000+ to spend....Honda has a new GoldWing!
https://powersports.honda.com/2018/gold-wing.aspx

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #8 - 10/26/17 at 06:58:02

I agree 100% with Dave above.  I want a standard retro "fun" bike.  There is not one new bike on the market that I would buy or can afford.  I came from the BMW world where I owned 3 "Airheads," a '68 R50, a '74 R90, and a '78 R100 (over 38 years old).  I rebuilt the first one completely.  The second I updated and did some mechanical work, and the last I did lots of upgrading.  All three, to me now, are too big and heavy for me so I wanted to do the best I could with a smaller, lighter bike.  I am 68 and LOVE to just ride (since I was 14).  I no longer do an interstate slab, but lots of back roads, mountain riding.  

So...I purchased this used S40 (2011) and it is OK, but I was dismayed at the poor handling, and the obvious poor designing of some critical areas.  But, it is what it is, and when I ride it, I do really enjoy it.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 10/26/17 at 07:20:19

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 10/26/17 at 06:58:02:
I agree 100% with Dave above.  I want a standard retro "fun" bike.  There is not one new bike on the market that I would buy or can afford.  I came from the BMW world where I owned 3 "Airheads," a '68 R50, a '74 R90, and a '78 R100 (over 38 years old).  I rebuilt the first one completely.  The second I updated and did some mechanical work, and the last I did lots of upgrading.  All three, to me now, are too big and heavy for me so I wanted to do the best I could with a smaller, lighter bike.  I am 68 and LOVE to just ride (since I was 14).  I no longer do an interstate slab, but lots of back roads, mountain riding.  

So...I purchased this used S40 (2011) and it is OK, but I was dismayed at the poor handling, and the obvious poor designing of some critical areas.  But, it is what it is, and when I ride it, I do really enjoy it.

Fortunately, there are some things that can be done to correct those deficiencies.  
Brakes; front & rear suspension; foot control/peg location; seat comfort if desired, and tire selection of course.
Those go a long way toward making it handle better.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 10/26/17 at 07:26:37

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 10/26/17 at 06:58:02:

Your prays have been answered. This bike has my full attention:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2017/10/2018-kawasaki-z900rs-debuts-at-tokyo-m...

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 10/26/17 at 08:24:28

Very nice looking bike.
I like it.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/26/17 at 09:03:06

Dave wrote on 10/25/17 at 07:28:40:
It is a bit weird - but nobody is making a motorcycle right now that I would buy new at a dealer.....I also just don't have enough disposable income to justify buying a new bike when I can buy a very nice used bike at half price.

The Triumph Thruxton would be great - but it is out of my budget.  The Honda CB500X with detachable luggage would most likely be the best "new" bike for me to consider if I wanted a dependable bike to just go riding and exploring on and not worry that much about what the bike looks like.
http://powersports.honda.com/2017/cb500x.aspx

I would buy a mid sized (600 - 800cc) Sport Touring bike that is comfortable for double riding...they don't make it so I bought a used Honda NT700.

If I was much better off financially - I would consider buying a BMW R1200 RS.....but the huge amount of electronic stuff on it scares me.  I might go looking for a low mileage R1100 RS that has carbs and can be worked on by an average mechanic....they are pretty cheap on the used market as they are 16 - 24 years old!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well put Dave.  I feel the same way.

At the risk of getting run out on a rail  Smiley - have you (or anyone else here) ever considered/tested Royal Enfield?

I know - they're from India and the first few years they had bum engine cases, but I saw them at a (non-trade) show and I gotta say, I was kind of impressed.  Especially with the sub $6000 price tags.  

They have an interesting, sort of retro look to them too.

I never got a chance to ride one - so if anyone here has, lemme know what you thought.

Anyhoo - just throwing that out there.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #13 - 10/26/17 at 09:03:14

Fortunately, there are some things that can be done to correct those deficiencies.  
Brakes; front & rear suspension; foot control/peg location; seat comfort if desired, and tire selection of course.
Those go a long way toward making it handle better.
[/quote]

The trouble with that is, even with all that upgrading you will still not have a great handling bike, not even a good handling bike, and the design upgrades will only be slightly better than original.  All of that upgrading is costly, and the S40 has a problem maintaining any sort of value, and certainly one with the added expenses will not bring back any good return on investment.  Trust me, that the way in the BMW world. Added costs only will return on a bona-fide collector's item.

The S40 is no collector's item!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 10/26/17 at 09:03:19

I'm not much for 4 cylinder bikes and you all know I'm about shapes & lines and that is one freakin bueatiful bike ! Maybe some in Japan is hearing our call for more standards/retro. Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 09:51:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Changes coming to Suzuki !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.