Send Topic Print
Full of Gas (Read 88 times)
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Full of Gas
10/18/17 at 22:56:17

My daughter brought over her Savage because it wouldn't start. Gas would puke out the breather hose when cranking. So I checked the oil level and it looked murky in the sightglass. Opened the oil cap and the crankcase was full to the top with gas and oil! Drained it and it had 2 gallons in it. I'm gonna say it needs a new float seat and needle valve? That's why it's important to shut the gas off when parked I told her.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Full of Gas
Reply #1 - 10/19/17 at 04:08:36

Raptor petcock...

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/19/17 at 04:53:59

The diaphragms in the stock vacuum petcock don't hold up well with the ethanol in the E10 fuel.  The diaphragms get holes in them, the the fuel flows through the vacuum tube and into the intake port...then is flows into the crankcase and/or air box.

You can get an expensive "OEM" stock replacement or a rebuild kit and go through this again at a later date - or you can install a Yamaha Raptor petcock that is manually operated...and very reliable.  The part number from Yamaha is 5LP-24500-01-00, and it you buy it online be sure you see the part number, the white box, and the words Yamaha.  There are a lot of Chinese copies that use the words "Raptor petcock" that are not well made....you should expect to pay about $30 for it.

If you look at this eBay link you will see the real ones for $26.99 with the white box that are real Yamaha parts...and the $7.99 Chinese copies.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 10/19/17 at 08:31:39

Savageman, you can't get mad at your daughter ,there is no "off" on the stock petcock,that's why we go with the raptor! If it has a raptor ,then yes, you need to check out the float /float valve.

« Last Edit: 10/20/17 at 11:08:18 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/19/17 at 08:38:22

batman wrote on 10/19/17 at 08:31:39:
Savageman, you can't get mad at your daughter ,there is on no "off" on the stock petcock, that's why we go with the raptor! If it has a raptor, then yes, you need to check out the float /float valve.

There... fixed it for you.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 10/19/17 at 13:59:10

Vercy ,thanks I went back and fixed it ,before I saw you fixed it, can and can't, I can think-but I can't type! and on is not no Sad

« Last Edit: 10/21/17 at 15:35:31 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 00:16:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Full of Gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.