Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motor mounts, do I need to use the rear one? (Read 95 times)
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Motor mounts, do I need to use the rear one?
10/17/17 at 07:36:50

I'm working on a custom frame and considering not using the rear most motor mount hole, the one nearest swing arm pivot.  I will use all others in a similar fashion to stock.  It looks like the voodoovintage kit doesn't use this point?  Any one with any experience not using this mounting point?  Am I okay to leave it out our will it lead to over stressing the others?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Motor mounts, do I need to use the rear one?
Reply #1 - 10/17/17 at 16:47:34

The motor mounts are torqued to 64 ft/lbs ,they not only hold the motor in place but hold the two sides of the case together ,without the  rear you may have an oil leak at the center seam. due to the drive pulley and shaft placement the rear of the motor may fish tail back and forth causing drive chain misalignment and stress cracks ,clutch cable tension ,vibration an other problems.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 10/17/17 at 19:26:06

You can always put a bolt thru unused hole to hold cases together but you have to mount the top of the head. But I advise putting a mount there , especially if the motor is getting a bunch of upgrades.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 10/19/17 at 02:47:59

If you look at where the rear motor mount is, it is near the swingarm pivot. Connecting the steering head to the S/A pivot in as straight a line as possible is a key part of making a bike handle. Gotta imagine not using the mount will make the bike handle worse.
My 2 cents.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 04:32:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motor mounts, do I need to use the rear one?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.