Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Front Tire Question (Read 344 times)
ero4444

weekender

Re: Front Tire Question
Reply #15 - 10/17/17 at 14:52:18

>> I'll give it a try, what could go wrong after all

check twice, make sure the tires are turning the right direction.  

The first time I put the front on, took more than an hour and it was backwards.  The next time took 20 minutes or so.  No way I'll ever forget to check now.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #16 - 10/17/17 at 16:10:03

check twice, make sure the tires are turning the right direction.  
Been there done that also LOL
Starting to think the Dunlop D404 might be a better tread design over the Shinko 777 or 712. J+P has them on sale also.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 10/17/17 at 16:25:07

springman wrote on 10/16/17 at 17:53:05:
I ran 712's on the rear and liked them. Currently running the 230 Tourmaster front and back. Never tried the 712 front because I read the straight groove in the middle can increase the side to side effect when on grooved pavement and also that it was difficult to balance. Just what I read though, not my personal experience. The Shinko 230's are running great.

I put the Shinko 230's on my rescue bike.......and they rode very nicely and did everything well.  They are the tire I would put on my bike as long as I wasn't riding 10,000 miles year.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #18 - 10/18/17 at 09:38:27

Ed L. wrote on 10/15/17 at 13:34:32:
Already replaced the rear with a Metzer 880 a few years ago. Had a shop do the job and they pinched the tube which gave me a flat about 60 miles out on a ride.
 I won a $50.00 gift card at the local Harley dealer so I'm seeing if they could order me a tire from J+P Cycle. Both stores are in the same shopping complex at Destination Daytona but J+P won't take the Harley gift card.
I'll probably swap the tires myself, just need some soapy water.

I've been there... pushed dat...

Compressed air not safe is, useless I say... unless inside you can keep it !

OR

Foam or mousse you should use, feel the fArce, Young Man... feel the fArce...

Mousse is the word...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #19 - 10/18/17 at 15:46:21

Wandered around Destination Daytona this morning and watched the vendors coming in for Biketober Fest. Spent the Harley gift card on two tee shirts, they weren't interested in ordering a tire for a Suzuki Shocked.
 After looking at the different tread designs at J+P Cycle I decided on the Dunlop D404 and brought one home with a tube, rim band and a pack of the beads. Pull the bike apart this afternoon and installed the tire with a little grunting and some soapy water.
 Should of picked up a set of brake pads, they are about 1/2 gone so that's next on the list.
 Thanks for all the advice, planning on a quick shakdown trip around the block tomorrow and then maybe a trip to the local range if the wind drops down.
Just picked up a Marlin 1893 deluxe breakdown model in 30-30 built way back in 1897 and want to shake the dust out of the 120 year old girl.  Smiley

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #20 - 10/20/17 at 06:07:07

I recently replaced mine with the Michelin Pilot Activ.  I HIGHLY recommend this tire (I used them on both front and rear of my BMW) as it really wears well, and it grips the road well.  It is fairly inexpensive.  It also works well with another brand on the rear.  Michelins seem to have a closer tolerance so they are harder to install - fit more tightly.

I got mine from Revzilla - free shipping over $39.00 and very good service.

Regardless, let a dealer install - saves tons of work and they usually include balancing.  Mine got installed for $37.00 - well worth the time and effort.  I took the wheel to them.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #21 - 10/20/17 at 06:43:05

Yeah, next time I'll have a shop install any tires that I need. Going to put it down as a "been there done it, take it off my bucket list". It used up a few rainy hours in the shop and got a little zen back working on the bike.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #22 - 10/20/17 at 07:11:47

Ed L. wrote on 10/20/17 at 06:43:05:
Yeah, next time I'll have a shop install any tires that I need. Going to put it down as a "been there done it, take it off my bucket list". It used up a few rainy hours in the shop and got a little zen back working on the bike.

I have changed literally hundreds of tires on bikes back in the day.  Now, the radials are tighter and harder to install, and my back is looser and easier to injure!  the $37.00 was well worth the aggravation and you get balancing to boot!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #23 - 10/20/17 at 08:29:29

The tire beads for balancing  sent me back almost $25.00 so having a shop install a tire with balance for $37.00 is a good deal. Like I said, been there, done it. The older you get the more you learn to pick your battles Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 10/20/17 at 08:55:18

I like them both,.. 777's last a little longer, I think, and the tread pattern is pretty...
I just put 712's on my S50,.. while my buddy put 777's on his 750 Shadow (no 21" in the 712)...
For performance I'd go 712,.. I think they're a bit stickier...
Both are a bargain...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #25 - 10/23/17 at 04:29:34

So far I've use Pirelli MT66 (aka "Route66") and they are fabulous, both front and rear.

However... may I only so slightly highjack the thread to ask for advice.

Replacing the wheel with a 19" wheel off a URAL

Brake plate and brake shoes also available.

Certainly "heavy duty"!

Problem: the axle is larger caliber than the Suzuki front axle
(I don't know by how much but I'm willing to bet on it!)

Just how much can I lathe the axle housing before the remaining metal becomes too thin ?  Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #26 - 10/23/17 at 05:28:56

mpescatori, Before you do any machining on anything, look-up a bearing chart online and see if you can just change the bearings to make it fit. Bearings are pretty much standard and go by the number stamped on them. OD, ID, and WIDTH. Check the stock one and the one in your ''new'' wheel. See if their is one with the same OD and Width as the one in the ''new'' wheel and ID as the stock ones. Changing bearings is a LOT easier than machining anything.  Then you should only have to work on the spacers, and maybe a adapter for the brake, you will have to make something to stop it from spinning anyway. (I am assuming it is a internal brake, not a disc)

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #27 - 10/23/17 at 15:06:03

mpescatori wrote on 10/23/17 at 04:29:34:
So far I've use Pirelli MT66 (aka "Route66") and they are fabulous, both front and rear.

However... may I only so slightly highjack the thread to ask for advice.

Replacing the wheel with a 19" wheel off a URAL

Brake plate and brake shoes also available.

Certainly "heavy duty"!

Problem: the axle is larger caliber than the Suzuki front axle
(I don't know by how much but I'm willing to bet on it!)

Just how much can I lathe the axle housing before the remaining metal becomes too thin ?  Undecided

What do you mean by "axle housing"?  Do you mean the center of the hub?  Or do you mean the holes in the bottom of the forks that the axle goes through?

Don't quite understand.

I am a machinist, and I tend to do a lot of stuff on my own, but I would recommend that you not machine anything where "thinness" is a question - especially on the running gear where failure would be catastrophic.  There are maybe other ways to accomplish what you want.

Can you clarify by measuring (using micrometers) the diameters you are referring to, and using pictures of where you want to machine out to fit?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 10/23/17 at 15:09:59

Wouldn't it be easier to just use the Suzuki hub, and get the spokes you need to mount the 19" rim on the Savage hub?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #29 - 10/25/17 at 02:07:31

Thanks all  Smiley

First of all, thank you Piedmontbuckeye for talking like "Jiminy Cricket" and YES I DO need to get my micrometer out and do some measuring.
Pity the bike is in Italy and this Ural wheel is in Russia... Undecided

Badwolf, THANK YOU for explaining the bearing idea, I had NOT thought about this one !!!

Dave, ABZZ-olutely right !

BUT...

...a bike mechanic expert at lacing wire wheels ?
You mean like pink elephants and that thing about being rarer than hens' teeth ?
Grin
Unfortunately... many mechanics don't even know how to setup points&condenser ignition, never mind lacing spokes...
Tongue

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:10:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Tire Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.