Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do I tell which cam is which? (Read 161 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
How do I tell which cam is which?
10/13/17 at 00:23:23

Hi all,

through the years I have bought a few cams from lancer, and currently ride the Stage2 cam.

The OEM cam was nice and sweet down low but not very quick.

The Stage 2 cam is nice and quick in the high rpm range but commuting in stop&go traffic the engine becomes lumpy and won't go much below 3000rpm (I have a tach)

Then I bought a Stage 3 cam which is supposed to have all the lift of a Stage 2 plus the nice round mellow phase of the OEM cam.
BUT
I have the OEM and Stage 3 in one box and would like to know how to tell them one from the other.
Roll Eyes
Use a micrometer and measure the lobes?
Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: How do I tell which cam is which?
Reply #1 - 10/13/17 at 03:33:47

Yes , larger/taller lobes have more lift would be the performance cam.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/13/17 at 05:17:23

The Stock and Stage 1 cam will have the lowest Lift.....the Stage 2 cam has a higher lift and longer duration.

So......the cam with the thickest lobes will be the Stage 2 cam, and the Stage 2 will have the largest angle between lobes and likely have a broader width at the top of the lobes.  It might be hard to tell which is which if you don't have them side by side to compare....and it may even be a bit technical to tell if you do have them side by side.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/13/17 at 08:45:23

Dial calipers might help.
Maybe roll them across a layer of
Play Doh,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/13/17 at 09:04:08

LANCER wrote on 06/01/12 at 19:25:55:

PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT

A camshaft defines the character of an engine.  
The stock cam is mild mannered and easy going.
A Performance Camshaft does a quick change in the phone booth...different attitude altogether.

CAMSHAFT                           VALVE LIFT IN/EX                          DURATION @ .050

Stock camshaft                       .254/.244                                          224
Webcam std.                          .256/.256                                          226
Stage 1                                      .264/.264                                                 239
Stage 2                                      .274/.274                                                 248
**Stage 3                                      .273/.273                                                 238
** The Stage 3 cam profile is the only profile offered at this time since
I feel it is the best profile for the LS650 engine.**  

Effects of duration:
220-235  =>  Low End Torque
235-250  =>  Midrange Torque
260 +       =>  Top End Power

Both Stage 1 and Stage 2 camshafts are in the midrange for duration; the Stage 2 is just a bit higher in the category and makes its peak torque & power at 500-1000 rpm higher.  The Stage 1 is the better choice for an otherwise stock engine or mild to moderately modified.
The Stage 2 is designed for a moderate to more highly modified engine.  Stage 3 was added as a blended profile of 1 & 2, for those who want something in between.
The Stage 3 is a blend of 1 & 2.  It has the same basic duration of the Stage 1 and the lift of the Stage 2.

** Camshafts are $299 incl shp with your old cam core in exchange.
$100 refundable core charge if you do not send your old cam core at the time of your order.  The core charge will be refunded upon my receipt of the old usable core.

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp396%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E639%3E697%3EWSN...
[/color]

Tip: To quickly find maximum lobe lift, measure the base circle of the cam and subtract it from the thickness across the cam lobe's highest point (see the diagram below). Tip: Maximum valve lift can be calculated by multiplying the maximum lobe lift times the rocker ratio.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 10/13/17 at 09:40:30

I may be all wet here ,but here goes! the high performance cam being made from our cores may be ground more on the broader base (rounded) end of the lobe to achieve it's higher lift .(The distance from the center of the cam shaft to the base subtracted from the distance from the center of the shaft to the pointed end of the cam lobe being the total lift)therefore if you measure the distance of the entire lobe the one that measures the shortest might be the performance cam. If the cams are welded up and completely reground this still may be true,if not than I am full of it and subject to tasting crow .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 10/13/17 at 10:18:54

So , How do you like your crow prepared ? Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/13/17 at 11:03:42

As long as the grinding removes material equally around the base, the lifter would track closer to cam center down there, allowing the lump to create the lift.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 10/13/17 at 16:52:12

Ruttly,I  like my crow well done,thank you! JOG ,if more was ground off at the center and less at the sides of the base then this could increase duration.(were the heck did I put those files?  Roll Eyes)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/13/17 at 17:12:24

You don't want a valve cracking open until the cam is further around. To get what you want doing it that way would take a complete analysis of the valve train. If you're trying to affect the valves, best to play with the lobes,
The lift would be increased by cutting the circle down that the lobe Grows up out of. By whatever the ratio of lifter movement to valve actuation is.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 10/13/17 at 20:00:49

Jog ,I was lust kidding about the files ,I  think the best way to go is to buy a cam if looking for more performance.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/13/17 at 20:29:08

Way too hard for files..

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 10/13/17 at 22:56:57

Ok , a reground cam like our aftermarket cams,are ground down rewelded all the way around then ground to the new specs. Sometimes you can see the layer on the sides of the lobes.
Cam lobe  has a base circle , 2 ramps , 2 flanks and the nose
Base circle the round area where there rocker arms have clearances to the cam,base circle should always remain the same diameter
Ramps are the area that opens & closes the valve,moving the ramps changes when valves open & close,duration
Flanks area between ramps & nose
Nose is what determines amount of lift
Overlap,lobe separation,lobe centers,advance,retard is where it gets very complicated  Undecided

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/13/17 at 23:24:32

complicated?   Huh

I'm sure you can work it out.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 10/14/17 at 04:36:49

I just compared a stock cam to a Stage 3 Webcam.

The distance from the bottom of the cam circle to the bearing has the same distance on both cams - so they have not just ground more material off the bottom of the cam profile - they have welded and reground the cam to make the new profile.

You should be able to visually observe the difference in the cam lobe profile.  Hold the cam with the gear end away from you, and sight down the length of the cam with the lobe on top.  The Webcam has a very round top of the lobe - it opens the valve and sets it back down at what looks like the same rate.  The stock cam has a very rounded look on the left side of the lobe (that is the side that lifts the valve off the seat) - the right side of the cam lobe has a much sharper curve - so it begins to drop the valve down at a faster rate.  The curve and slope of the lobe is not symmetrical on both sides where maximum lift occurs.

So.....if the lobe appears the same on both sides - it is likely the Webcam.
If the lobe appears a bit different on both sides - it is likely the stock cam.
The height of the lobe above the bearing surface is also larger on the Webcam (more lift).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 05:25:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How do I tell which cam is which?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.