Send Topic Print
Raptor question (Read 79 times)
DavidV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raptor question
10/12/17 at 19:27:12

I'm about ready to put the raptor petcock on my bike. Do most people remove the tank for this or swap it in place? Second, I assume that clear plastic tube over the longer stem gets removed before installation? It seems if it was left on that it would give a lot more reserve.

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Re: Raptor question
Reply #1 - 10/12/17 at 19:54:52

You do not need to remove the tank. Dave wrote a very useful article on installing a Raptor petcock. Search the technical section to access it.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 10/12/17 at 20:23:39

Remove clear tube , it's to protect it for shipping

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 10/12/17 at 21:10:59

I just did this a month ago on my '03'. I chose to remove tank, it did need to be lifted to get the old petcock out. It's only 2 screws for seat on sides and 2 for the tank on tab. It was worth it as I checked plug while it was out and to see what's under tank. It took about 15 minutes to remove tank, install raptor, check plug and put it all back together.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/13/17 at 02:33:35

Here is the somewhat ironic and funny part.  On most Savage motorcycles the stock petcock won't clear the frame when you remove the tank - so you have to remove the stock vacuum petcock before you remove the tank...........so........you might as well just switch the petcock with the tank on the bike.  (Remove the clear tube that protect the filter during shipping).

Here is a link to the Tech Section article:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/13/17 at 05:18:22

Use that tech article.  I've put 4 Raptor petcocks on and never took a tank off to do it.  Remove the plastic tube, it serves no purpose after the item is shipped and it may corrode over time inside the tank.

IP Logged
DavidV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/17/17 at 07:22:57

Thanks for the information. I did go ahead and remove the tank. I thought it would be a good opportunity to get a look at the spark plug as the bike is fairly new to me and I had not seen it yet. Good thing that I looked. It was barely finger tight. Petcock went on with no problems. The paint on the tank did peel a little bit. I was worried about making the seal with the new one but, knock on wood, no leaks yet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 16:53:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.