Send Topic Print
Trailer question (Read 94 times)
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Trailer question
10/12/17 at 19:05:22

I would like to join some of you on trips next year. If local (anywhere in Colorado), I would not need a trailer. Any further, and I would like to use one.

I would like the kind of trailer the dealership used to deliver my S40, a nifty device where the guy pulled a lever and the trailer bed goes to the ground. Any suggestions?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Trailer question
Reply #1 - 10/13/17 at 04:52:00

The Savage is a relatively light bike and easy to load as long as the trailer is low to the ground.  One of the problems in getting low trailers occurs if the trailer uses a conventional axle and leaf springs....the trailer bed ends up being pretty high off the ground.  Tilt bed trailers can help, and axles that use the rubber torsion springs can be low.

You likely can find a trailer like this one from a local dealer, or used on Craigslist.  The tilt helps - but when you can find a loading dock or sloping ground it reduces the tilt of the trailer bed and that helps a lot.  

This kind of trailer is likely the cheapest option, and you can use the trailer for hauling lots of other stuff. You should add a wheel chock to make loading and tying down the bike a lot easier.
http://www.superior-trailer.com/2017-texas-bragg-trailers-4x8lb-tilt-sQpc|hP....

The campgrounds for motorcycles generally have loading docks that help, and there are are always folks around that will help you unload when you arrive.

I like the idea of trailers that can lower to help with loading - I guess you need to Google who makes these to find a price.

This is pretty cool - but it isn't in the US.  You could most likely adapt the moving wheel chock idea to any tilting trailer. (Folks will likely wonder why the right side of your bike is covered in bugs).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt66nwvxlRw

These all use a similar concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcgDTK4pjVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzfIqopsb4k

I would imagine the factory built trailers that lower to the ground will cost more than you paid for your Savage!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 10/13/17 at 06:49:53

I'm not sure the extra money is worth it in a tilting trailer, unless you really have extra money.  I got this 5x8 trailer with leaf spring suspension and full size wheels and tires (not skinny 12" trailer wheels) for $500 brand new years ago. Just finished it's 3rd (maybe 4th) rehab with new paint, lights, repacked wheel bearings, and decking. Best little trailer I have ever owned and it loads bikes, mowers, etc. perfectly fine with the gate/ramp. You can get taller ramps which equates to slightly easier loading due to the lessened ramp angle.

Note to new trailer owners: Don't load/unload the trailer when it is not hooked to the truck. As soon as you get weight on the rear of the trailer the front end will do a little dance with you and you will likely drop and/or damage your bike when it does.

IMG_20170903_181439.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 10/13/17 at 06:51:32

JLC

I've got the 5x8 w/ramp.   It works fine for local stuff and ridding mowers , but the ramp stand too tall and catches too much wind to drag up and down the road much.   I took it one time on a long trip and kind-of wish I'd got the tilt version instead.   The tail gait on my is taller than the one on Stew's , and the floor on mine is diamond metal that I had to put boards on where the wheels roll (Diamond metal bows too much).

I think I'll use my Ford Ranger next time I need to haul a bike.   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 10/13/17 at 06:55:30

Well, truth be told here is how I haul my bike for long road trips.  Maybe this is an option for you?  All you need is a little incline to back up to and it rolls right off. The 'carrier' doubles as a ramp.  I can actually do it single-handedly, but an extra set of hands is always nice.

IMG_20170908_174834.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 10/13/17 at 06:58:32

MMRanch wrote on 10/13/17 at 06:51:32:
JLC

I've got the 5x8 w/ramp.   It works fine for local stuff and ridding mowers , but the ramp stand too tall and catches too much wind to drag up and down the road much.  

MM, my ramp/gate comes off. I can slide it off after loading things and lay it in the back of the truck, reattached when I need it.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 10/13/17 at 07:18:27

Huh

I'm going to look see if mine will ...

My Astro Van that normally gets 23-24 mpg only gets 17 pulling the trailer.  

You want to trade for a good late-model trailer ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/13/17 at 07:44:52

I was luck to find a small enclosed trailer that hauls well behind my little Vibe.  It pulls the trailer well and my mileage drops from 30 to 25 mpg - but it doesn't overload the car and it does well on hills.  It also provides a nice warm place for me to sleep at night.  It is 8' long and 4' tall and wide and the Savage fits fine after taking off the mirrors.

I built my open trailer and it is tilting, and I have hauled my ST1100 to Michigan and my NT700 to Georgia on it.  Loading the 700 pound bikes on it is a bit intimidating, and those drop floor trailers sure would be nice as I get older (and older and older).
In the photo below I was getting ready to unload the motorcycle and I pulled up a few feet and put the end of the ramp on the curb, and the ramp slope was nearly level.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 10/13/17 at 07:53:10

MMRanch wrote on 10/13/17 at 07:18:27:
Huh

I'm going to look see if mine will ...

On mine, you open the gate, then slide it to the left and the hinge pins that are welded to the gate just slide out of the piece that's welded to the trailer side. If you have never removed yours (and it is removable) you may need to give it a little encouragement to get it started sliding on the pins.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/13/17 at 08:01:04

Harbor Freight sells a trailer in a box.
All you have to buy is the plywood for the floor. And a spare,  

I used two layers and inset tie downs.
It tilts,, still need a bit of ramp, but you won't be on YouTube, upside down with the bike on you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #10 - 10/13/17 at 09:24:25

f150 with 6 ft bed. I borrowed the neighbor's loading ramp for Quads.   Folds down center and apox. 3' wide for easy single handed loading / unloading.

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #11 - 10/13/17 at 11:16:08

So much information, so many choices!  Thanks.

Still trying to figure out what I'll buy. Only one thing I am sure of: my truck is full size and 4WD, which means higher than the 2 WD version. I am only 5'3", and too chicken to try to walk or ride a bike up a plank/ramp into the truck bed! The truck option is out for me.

I am looking at a utility trailer with sides and a full width rear gate/ramp (I could use it for my garden tractor), a tilt trailer from my local motorcycle dealer, and one of those fancy "go to the ground" trailer - waiting for prices!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 10/13/17 at 11:35:39

one of those fancy "go to the ground" trailer - waiting for prices!

You might just
Go to the Ground
when you see That price.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:57:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Trailer question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.