Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My modified seat and forward controls (Read 177 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
My modified seat and forward controls
10/10/17 at 20:51:46

I finally got my modified stock seat recovered. I'm stoked with the results. The seat mod was part of an overall plan including lowering/widening the handlebars (done previously), and fitting a set of Ed.L's 4" forward-controls (done yesterday). I've done one short test ride with the forward controls. The seat changed everything in a really positive way. The Forward controls work great and change the ride as I expected, but they make such a big difference that I will have to do a bit more riding in different circumstances to fully appreciate them.

Here are some pics of the setup:

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: My modified seat and forward controls
Reply #1 - 10/11/17 at 09:40:49

lookd great

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #2 - 10/11/17 at 10:25:26

Right on, mate ! Wink

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #3 - 10/11/17 at 12:21:29

Thanks guys Smiley The forward controls are kind of an experiment. The ride was really good with just the modified seat, but I thought, why not go for even better?! We'll see how it goes.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 10/12/17 at 18:18:49

I like the "low slung" look of your bike.  The bars, seat and rear fender now really flow together.
What's that extension on back of your front fender?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 10/13/17 at 11:18:32

Tocsik wrote on 10/12/17 at 18:18:49:
I like the "low slung" look of your bike.  The bars, seat and rear fender now really flow together.
What's that extension on back of your front fender?

Thanks Tocsik, that's the look I was going for! I've been really inspired by the bobbers on this site, but don't have the funds or experience to build one (especially from my only bike, and daily ride).

I decided to simply tweak everything I could manage, in that direction. I started with the notion of trimming it all down (removing chrome, smaller lights etc, and I was going to do a solo seat, but the high, long, stock rear fender guided me in a different direction ... that, and a desire to personalize the ergonomics. I also set out to remove any of the chrome parts I could, but ended up putting some other shiny stuff on.

At the end of the day I chose to work with the bike as it is rather than wishing it was something else. I'm pleasantly surprised how much these somewhat small changes have combined to change the bike so much.

As for the extension on the front fender, I'm pretty sure it's just stock for the 2015. It was like that when I bought it.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 10/13/17 at 19:38:53

I think you did a great job on the seat! Not  a fan of extended forward controls ,when I look at your bike my eyes are drawn to them first do to there mass ,the plate on the brake side being nearly as large as the case,and on the shifter side why can't the curve around the case be cut back to show that it not part of the case .I don't understand why the outside edges can't be trimmed by 1/4 -3/8 inches ,there is an awful lot of extra meat around all the mounting bolts ,and if it were me I'd think about drilling a few holes and maybe connecting them to make slots ,it shouldn't weaken the plate as any pressure applied is inline with the plate,and you may have some weight savings. Even painting them black might help them "disappear ".But  this is just my  opinion.the bike as a whole looks nice!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #7 - 10/14/17 at 04:23:21

Thanks for the input Dave, it's much appreciated. I'm very happy with the seat. I like the way it turned out visually, and I've had a few rides now and I'm very happy with it.

I hear ya, on the foreatd controls. I got them primarily for the position. I knew from other's photos that they would be "out there". I got them mostly as an experiment. I was prepared to remove them if it didn't work out. The stock position was ok. But I was going for better!

I considered painting them black but I'd seen photos from others. I feel that the chrome tabs on the heat shield, the plate for the right peg, and the kickstand assembly, make black plates look bolted on. I decided to polish them similar to the crank case so, even though they stand out, they at least look intentional. I'm actually getting used to the look  Smiley

Functionally, I like them alot. Aesthetically, I'll take on board your suggestions. I had a look over them tonight. I think it would take some careful thought to trim them down a bit,but it could improve the look. That will become a project over the next few weeks. I like them as they are, but always happy to take time and make good, better  Smiley

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 12/09/17 at 21:39:30

So, I've experimented a bit, in Photoshop, with the idea of trimming down the forward controls. I've done everything from the least amount of aluminium, through drilling holes and engraving grooves in them.

To be honest, the whole experience has shown me something about the way they were designed in the first place. There are a lot of factors to take into account when designing the shape of the plates. I think, as they are, they are kind of 'intuitive'.

The only thing I would change now is, I would level the top of the plate on the brake side (I think I can do that without removing them). Apart from that, I'm really happy with them!

Now, to find some way of putting some cool pegs on those bad-boys!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 23:16:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My modified seat and forward controls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.