Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Buying a diesel truck..... (Read 61 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Buying a diesel truck.....
10/10/17 at 10:36:02

On the edge of retiring, and looking to trailer a bit.
Looking at used 5th wheels and used trucks.

Don't want to break the bank, as I am not sure how much we will take to this new adventure.

The Dodge Cummin is just too much, unless it has a ton of mileage on it.
I don't like the truck style itself anyway, seems cheap, great motor, bad cab.

Chevy just doesn't feel right.

I like the Ford the best I guess.
The old 7.4 is suppose to be great, I've yet to drive one.
I have driven the 6.0 and the 6.4.

The 6.0 is nice, but has some big issues if tricked/chipped out, and not maintained, or upgraded.

The 6.4 is awesome..... the power is amazing, quick too, but it had some
issues too, if not maintained properly.

Not sure I even need a diesel, but used trucks don't differ all that much resale wise, between gas and diesel, with the latter being way better on fuel consumption when towing.

The cost of repairs scares me too.  

Anybody pulling a trailer that can advise me or lend some insight?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Buying a diesel truck.....
Reply #1 - 10/10/17 at 11:56:14

Before you pay up
Have it checked out by a diesel mechanic.
If it's got a turbocharger that's a place where most people don't treat right.
I'd expect a good checkup to cost close to three hundred dollars. Just on the engine.Automatic Transmission would be another thing.
Just my opinion, might be able to get a check up for less, but I'd probably want, depending on cost of the truck, compression, injector pump, and turbo checked out. Maybe even an oil analysis.
Looking for online complaints about whatever you are looking at, maybe a forum,
Reelthing has an older Dodge that is in great shape. He gets mileage in the mid twenties. It's a standard transmission.
If you're wanting an automatic transmission, that is, IMO, not the answer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #2 - 10/10/17 at 11:57:18

"Chevy just does not feel right"?

Back in 2010, I sold both my aging 1992 Chevy one ton truck (454 big block gas engine) and my 1998 Ford (5.4 Triton engine). I wanted to by a new truck, and decided to test drive a Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton, a Ford 250, and the Dodge Ram 3/4 ton, all with diesel engines. I was looking at mid-range priced trucks (for the trim and options), quad cab, short bed, and 4 WD.

The Ford had the best interior, but the Chevy (Duramax engine) had the best handling and the best performance, even though the Ford had more power (both HP and torque) on paper. I liked the Ram, but I  was wary of its reliability, or potential lack of.

I bought the Chevy (2011 model), and it has 70,000 miles now. Only trouble has been two glow plugs failing, and this was fixed under warranty. I only knew of the failure because of the engine warning light on the dashboard. I love the Duramax engine and the Allison transmission. My overall mileage over 70,000 miles, including regular towing, has been 16.7 mpg. The only thing I don't like about the truck is the lack of a Diesel Exhaust Fluid gauge. There is a text warning on the dashboard when you get within 1000 miles of empty, and it's not very reliable. Last time I saw the warning, it was at 769 miles, and within 200 miles it was indicating 149 miles left to empty! If you let the DEF level get too low, you will be limited to 55 mph, then 4 mph. The Ford has only a warning light, and the Ram is the only one with a DEF gauge.

Here in Colorado, any diesel truck will have a higher asking price than the equivalent gas engined truck. Difficult here to sell a 2 WD truck, so prices will be lower for those.

You don't mention your budget... Where I live, a truck like mine is now worth $30,000 at best.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 10/10/17 at 12:11:21

Thanks, great info.

The ones I'm looking at fall between 15 to 20 thousand, automatic 4x4.
My favorite so far is a 2008 6.3 f-250 xlt super cab with 120,000.
The pollution stuff requires close attention, as failure to maintain it can lead to major problems. Some folks delete them.

I am really ignorant on this diesel stuff, and that concerns me.
This motor has all the filters, etc, in a very serviceable location.
I like that a lot.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 10/10/17 at 12:12:34

Btw, most stuff you find on the internet is negative about any given motor, as people most often only post to whine  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/10/17 at 12:14:40

Reelthing's Dodge is old enough to not have pee injection.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #6 - 10/10/17 at 13:22:54

A 2008 Ford 6.4 will not have the "pee injection" (LOL), only the DPF and EGR.  Yes, some owners delete them, thus gaining better mpg and more power. There are some possible technical problems doing so, including failing pollution control tests, and a possible $10,000 fine if the authorities catch you! The EGR system on this engine is a known source of problems though.

Like Justin wrote, if I were buying a used diesel truck, I would have a diesel mechanic do a thorough check on it.  Parts for diesel engines tend to be expensive.

FYI, check here:  https://www.littlepowershop.com/6-4-powerstroke-common-problems-issues-and-fi...

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 10/12/17 at 05:05:30

My own two cents' Worth:

I have owned a diesel truck (4x4 station wagon really, the size of a GHrand Cherokee if not larger) and put id a good 110K miles on her before having to sell because of health issues.

After 12 years and 110K miles, the engine was clean as a whistle and good as ever before.

The secret is gas engines are designed to operate in the "max torque to max horsepower" rpm range, whereas diesels are designed to operate "around the max torque rpm".

So a diesel is the ultimate workhorse for towing and long range Touring.

The EGR may (may) be bypassed simply by opening it and fitting a small, 0.5mm (1/64th") thick  steel plate (i.e., a cutout from your cola/beer/tuna can)

If it works, it prevents the engine inhaling exhaust gases (designed to improve exhaust fumes)
If it doesn't, you get a Yellow (if not red) "check engine" alarm and have to remove the plate (and maybe have your local mechanic reset the alarm.

DEF... we have Particulate filters... but no gauges and certainly no "speed kill" if you run on empty.

Still... have you considered a Toyota diesel ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 10/12/17 at 07:22:31

Ray , how much you thinking on haling ?

Seems like you might be more concerned about the transmission ... all the modern diesel motors are good .   Some are not as fuel efficient as others ...

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #9 - 10/12/17 at 09:50:51

One of the reasons I bought my 2011 model Chevrolet diesel was the automatic transmission: It is fitted with the Allison 1000 six speed, which has a stellar reputation. Ford replaced the five speed 5R110 transmission with the six speed 6R140 for the 2011 model year. I heard that early builds had problems (torque converter and solenoid), but apparently this was quickly resolved and I believe it is a very good transmission, quite able to withstand the torque of the turbocharged engine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:26:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Buying a diesel truck.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.