Rat Bike Sighting (Read 143 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Rat Bike Sighting
10/08/17 at 12:30:56

Here in Lynchburg we had  a "Car show" Saturday .    Some Really Nice Cars were there !  

On the way into the park , up in front of one of the BBQ shops there was this Rat Bike that looked like a decorative piece you might find out in front of a junk yard (Yard-Art) , cool looking collection of parts .  Cool

On my way out of the park ... there was this Rat-Bike , same one--- it had moved !!!
I couldn't hardly believe it ... I chatted with the rider for a while.   Come to find out its a Diesel Water Pump Motor .   He said when he left Oregon all the part were shinny sanded steel.   He cranked it up and it sounded good as any bike I've ever heard .    While the motor was idling (600rpm-ish) the tork-converter was tugging on the belt as if to say  "Let's Go" !  Grin  

There are more pictures of it on the Scavenger Hunt Thread .  Smiley

rat_bike_1_001.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Re: Rat Bike Sighting
Reply #1 - 10/08/17 at 12:48:16

I like the bike in the background.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 10/08/17 at 12:58:07

Yea , that's one of my other bikes , its a 2016 Guzzi V-7 II Stone , only "new" bike I ever bought .  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 10/08/17 at 21:17:22

Bike show a long time ago:  Squirrel mounted on front fender. Owner looked just as bad! Cool

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 10/09/17 at 15:09:49

That rat is very cool , looks like a 2 cylinder diesel,very cool I would ride it! Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/09/17 at 21:08:18

Yeah, injector lines are visible.
Bet that thing is Hell on chains.
I doubt there's anything in the power train to soak up the punch of the piston coming down.

Next time you find something like that could you Pleeze take more pictures?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 10/10/17 at 03:54:19

Need a video of the thing starting and running.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Rat Bike SightingW
Reply #7 - 10/10/17 at 21:41:48

Well , he was from Oregon , so .... we can try to hunt him down ?  

That thing ran nice and smooth , the pulley on the converter was  way, way  down in the front "V" and the rear pulley was really big with lots of room to shrink .   He was ready to leave when I pulled up and ask if I could get the pictures that I did get .    
Save the pictures , and super-size them for inspection.   I'm glad I could get the pictures that I did get .    
Fact is I'd thought of doing the same thing with my old Savage Frame but the only converters I found were for 5-8HP motors like is on my Minnie bike.   The converter this feller had looked big enough for 30 or more HP.    

Junk-Yard Wars !... ?  Roll Eyes

DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #8 - 10/11/17 at 19:19:30

We're looking at the little 2 cylinder Caterpillar C0.5. Originally built by Shibaura and sold by Perkins but now marketed by Cat. CVT appears to be a Polaris product.
At .5L speeding citations are of little concern. But he could farm with that thing - plow, pull stumps, haul mother into town. A tad heavy compared to the Kubotas. The engine. Not mother.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 10/11/17 at 21:18:18

So , That engine is only 500cc ?   If so , the converter was way, way  over size ...  Huh

Still it caught my eye as a neat set-up .   I'v got a fat tire mini bike with a converter that tops out at 39 mph/gps .     I think its 6.5HP ...  

A 30 + HP diesel motor might be too much for the converter I've got , it came with a 428  chain sprocket.   So what motor would we want for 30+ HP ?  

DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #10 - 10/12/17 at 19:51:57

For bike purposes it quickly becomes all about weight. Plenty of 30 hp diesel options, but most would require hydraulic outriggers.
Best option is the 3 cyl 900cc Kubota D902 at 150 lbs (by comparison the CB750 engine/trans pushes 200 lbs.). I've got one in the shop for the next build. Rated at 25 hp. But with the Aisin blower, 30 hp is within reach.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:16:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rat Bike Sighting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.