Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: non-Ryca Cafe Racer?
Reply #45 - 10/09/17 at 09:44:02

You should go ride a Savage and see if you like the power (or lack of power) that a big single delivers.  You will also get to experience the pathetic front brake, and anemic top speed (compared to sport bikes).

The Savage suits my riding style and environment very well - I have plenty of curvy rural roads to keep me entertained.  On most of these roads 50 mph is not possible to maintain, and a 100 mile ride takes most of the time between breakfast/lunch or lunch/dinner.  I seldom go riding with a need to be somewhere - most of my rides are just 2 wheel therapy sessions.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #46 - 10/09/17 at 10:17:42

Clears the mind by the time I get to 2nd gear after that it's a very serious !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 10/09/17 at 11:07:28

yeah but I wasn't sure if I would get the Ryca experience by riding Savage?

I heard the Ryca CS-1 is 60 lbs lighter but does it still accelerate similarly?

IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 10/09/17 at 11:09:53

Not that I have money or anything but one of the members here named Lancer has pretty awesome kit.

I think he sells 695cc high compression piston, performance carburetor, stage 3 camshaft, racing valves, etc.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #49 - 10/09/17 at 12:20:31

I built the Ryca Tracker and was able to get it down to 308 lbs without really trying to hard and it still may loose a few more before it's finished. It's a 695cc with lot of mods too, I have ridden much faster singles but I won't complain it hauls a$$ for a cruiser engine !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 10/09/17 at 15:29:19

Timpo wrote on 10/09/17 at 11:09:53:
Not that I have money or anything but one of the members here named Lancer has pretty awesome kit.

I think he sells 695cc high compression piston, performance carburetor, stage 3 camshaft, racing valves, etc.

Some of us hop up the Savage with help from Lancer.  The engine does run better and can go from 30 HP up to 40 HP....maybe a bit more.  My Cafe' has a 95mm Wiseco, Stage 1 cam, Mikuni carb and a bit of port work.....it goes 0-60 in 5 seconds and can get to 100 mph if you really have to - it prefers to stay below 80 mph (or maybe that is just me).  With a 97mm Wiseco and a Stage 3 cam you might be able to do better.  Even with the hopping up it is a torquey engine and not one that really likes high rpm.  It is a bit more expensive to hop up the engine in this manner.......it is easy to spend $1,000 on hop-up parts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #51 - 10/09/17 at 17:01:38

Quote:
...it is easy to spend $1,000 on hop-up parts.

Well, if you insist. 😁🏍😎.  Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: 10/09/17 at 18:37:58 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #52 - 10/09/17 at 19:25:35

If you have a bike already , it's simple , get a backpack put 4  15 lb bowling balls in it and go ride your bike hard then take it off and go for another ride and you will notice the difference in loosing 60 lb off a bike.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #53 - 10/09/17 at 19:59:10

You should build a cafe only if that's what you really want. Building one and then selling it you most likely will loose money. We build our bikes cause we can't buy what we want and we want to be different. The Savage/S40 is the ideal bike to build and very cost effective , oh yeah it's hella fun too !
Build a cafe make it how you want it and then if it pleases you , then pull the motor out and give the upgrades , spread out the payments so to speak. Warning , building bikes is addicting , it will take on a life of it's own and consume you , demanding all your thoughts & dreams & skills ! It is a sickness , proceed with caution !!! Go ahead and laugh , you'll see !!! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 10/11/17 at 12:03:30

Ruttly wrote on 10/09/17 at 19:25:35:
If you have a bike already , it's simple , get a backpack put 4  15 lb bowling balls in it and go ride your bike hard then take it off and go for another ride and you will notice the difference in loosing 60 lb off a bike.

I don't know if that would be quite the same experience since the Ryca CS-1 has different suspension, riding position, wheels/rims/ etc...
but yeah I should be able to get a feeling of acceleration..

oh and I'm not trying to make money by building a cafe racer, I know it's a hobby and NOT an investment haha

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #55 - 10/11/17 at 12:35:05

Buy one and build it,big fun and then getting to ride what you built,that's the best part !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #56 - 10/11/17 at 12:50:33

I've never ridden a Savage...haven't even sat on one.

I purchased my bike, rolled it into the back of my pickup, brought it home, rolled it onto my bike stand and had it completely apart (engine in frame) in about an hour from arriving home.

Looking back I probably should have ridden it, but it just didn't interest me. I've ridden bikes with forward controls in the past (even owned on, VN750) and I don't like 'em.

The S40 cafe has plenty of power. Afterall, it's not a sport bike - it's a cafe tribute. Even if it could go faster I wouldn't ride it any faster than I do (50-60 mph on the back roads). I've had it up to 70-80 on the highway and it just isn't fun. On back roads, it's an absolute blast to ride.

More power for acceleration is always welcome, but on this bike, not necessary.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #57 - 10/11/17 at 19:51:14

That's funny Gary , mine had tool & saddle bags with roses on them , so they got removed even before it came off the trailer ! Unloaded it , started it rode it down to the corner and back. Took it apart and cut the spokes with bolt cutters to send the hubs & fuel tank & swing arm to RYCA.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #58 - 10/16/17 at 22:51:15

@Timpo

Just some input for you.  Ive owned and ridden a big variety of bikes from CRF50's to a bunch of different liter bikes.  Each one has its thrill and the LS650 bike cafe'd out is the same.  It doesnt thrill much in the high speed department or even cornering that well,  but still compared to all the bikes I have had its in the top 2 or 3 funnest bikes Ive ever had.

Something about how narrow it is, the sound of the bike, the torque, the simplicity of it.  Its just a blast to ride.  Ive held on to mine now for more than 5 years, I think that may be the longest stint with a street bike for me.

This opinion is in comparison to some of these that I had or borrowed...  CBR600rr, CBR929rr, CBR954rr, YZF600, Harley Fatboy, Harley Springer softtail, XR600r, CR250, KTM520, CRF450, CRF250, RM250, YSR50 ha ha, Yamaha Fatcat , Suzuki 1700, Kawasaki 1800, YZF426, YZF450, CR125, XR400, Ducati monster 800, Triumph T100, CB750, CB360, GSXR 600, Yamaha R1, R6, TT100, YZ80, KX100, CBR250, Suzuki GT550, Suzuki GS550,  and so on.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #59 - 10/17/17 at 06:25:42

SpamyToo wrote on 10/16/17 at 22:51:15:
... Ive owned and ridden a big variety...  Each one has its thrill and the LS650 bike cafe'd out is the same...its in the top 2 or 3 funnest bikes Ive ever had. 

Fun like this?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 12:30:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › non-Ryca Cafe Racer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.