non-Ryca Cafe Racer? (Read 755 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: non-Ryca Cafe Racer?
Reply #30 - 10/06/17 at 11:14:37

Timpo wrote on 10/06/17 at 08:27:43:
yeah that battery box was one of the reason why I felt Ryca stuff was out of my budget  Embarrassed

The battery box is $350 ($400 if you want gloss black color)

But I guess the time it takes to fabricate and stuff maybe it's worth it?

Buy a plastic model, glue it together, add paint.
Step back, say
I built that.

Grab materials, cut, shape, weld, assemble, add paint..
Now YOU built That.

Wanna build a box?

Grab a pad, and sketch it out, cut it out, fold it up..

I use different types of paper when I'm trying to mock something up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 10/06/17 at 13:15:55

oh yeah that's a good idea.

So if I build a box using cardboard, now I have a template and take to a local sheet metal workshop?

It doesn't seem like too difficult to fabricate.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #32 - 10/06/17 at 15:09:13

After my first full mock up I saw something I just couldn't live with. I did the chain conversion made my chain tensioner and stood behind the bike and had a huge gap between the shock & chain. Wow that shock was way out in left field it looked horrible ! So both shock mounts on left side were cut off , shortened the top and fabbed a new lower mount and welded it on. Still out a tad more on the left than the right but barely noticeable.
Lot of work but it had to be done.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #33 - 10/06/17 at 15:26:09

Bending metal is much easier with a work bench brake. You can get them at Horbor Freight.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #34 - 10/06/17 at 17:02:12

Timpo wrote on 10/06/17 at 13:15:55:

So if I build a box using cardboard, now I have a template and take to a local sheet metal workshop?

Do you have a place to work?
Tools?
Tell us about you,

Cardboard,, hmm, probably not the kind
you think of first..
Shoe box, construction paper, single layer, different weights for different things.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #35 - 10/06/17 at 21:25:55

The Origami Master !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 10/06/17 at 22:43:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/06/17 at 17:02:12:

Do you have a place to work?
Tools?
Tell us about you,

Cardboard,, hmm, probably not the kind
you think of first..
Shoe box, construction paper, single layer, different weights for different things.

I do have all the basic tools. Angle grinder, impact wrench, different kinds of wheel stands, etc.. I do all my motorcycle maintenance by myself..or at least I try.

However I do not have welder and I do not fabricate custom parts.

But I know how to install all the parts, like exhaust, Power Commander V, rebuilding brakes calipers, changing suspension seals and springs, HIDs, spark plugs, sprockets & chains, changing tires, etc.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 10/07/17 at 04:11:54

I do use cardboard to mock up parts - not the corrugated kind....the kind that they call "poster board".  I save the cardboard from the back of paper tablets or packing (or the signs the Antifa folks drop when they run away).

Building a bike and not having a welder is a huge handicap.  You can screw/bolt/rivet/epoxy things together - but it is more difficult and the end product may not be as visually acceptable.

Do you currently own a Savage?  If not, you may be money ahead if you watch for a RYCA Cafe' bike to come up for sale that the owner hasn't finished (or hasn't finished well) - and buy a Savage that already has the parts needed for the conversion.  I bought my RYCA parts in 2012 and some of the parts were not as expensive then - and I felt that some of their parts were worth buying rather than fabricating (kick stand mount, rear set mount, seat parts, body side panels).  I found footpegs, clip-ons, tail light, turn signals, mirrors and other parts at better prices, and I adapted a fuel tank from another bike and built the other parts I needed.

Making your own parts is not easy - if you haven't done it before and gained some experience in making things from scratch.  It can be very time consuming to make a pattern, convert it to metal, and get it to fit and look proper.  Even for experienced folks it can be very time consuming and keep you in the garage rather than on the highway.  I can remember when I was working on mine one spring - it was a pit painful to hear the bikes going down the road while I was hiding in my garage making and fitting parts instead of being able to go riding.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 10/07/17 at 06:40:19

Get to riding.. have fun.
Build something later.

IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 10/07/17 at 21:39:02

Dave,

No I do not currently own Savage.
The reason why I joined in this forum was because the Ryca CS-1 really intrigued me.
I have been riding sportbikes, but recently I've been interested in getting a cafe racer. I like they way they look and like the idea of simple and fun.

I was originally looking at Yamaha SR400 and turning it into a cafe racer, but it was a bit too heavy. (yes, I know, the SR400 isn't THAT heavy at all, but it is compare to other cafe bikes)

The TU250x was on my mind as well, but I found out that the Ryca CS-1 weighs about the same as TU250x so I was like why not just look into the Ryca CS-1.
The TU250x can look pretty awesome though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imzsyBgfT7c&t=569s

I like the Triumph Street Cup, but expensive and heavy.

I was looking at the Cleveland Misfit, but it's just a re-badged CPI XR250 so I was like nah, their asking price is too expensive for what it is.
http://www.cpi-motor.com.tw/eng/xr.htm

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 10/08/17 at 04:19:52

What size sport bike have you been riding?  I have a Ninja 250, and the performance of a stock Savage is similar as they both have around 30 HP - however the ride is a lot different.  The little Ninja has little torque and needs to be wound up for stuff to happen - the Savage is torquey and pulls hard at lower rpm.  Both of them are powerful enough to be ridden long distance and can handle speeds of 70-75 mph.

I don't think you would like the TU250 riding experience.  I have never ridden one - but I did own a Kawasaki 250 dual sport and 60 mph was pretty much as fast as you could ride comfortably - beyond that the engine was just working too hard.  The small 250 has to work pretty hard to accelerate at the same speed as the cars/trucks that are surrounding you at the traffic lights, and may not be able to keep up to speed on the hills.

If you are not in a huge hurry, use Tempest Craigslist and look for a Savage that already has a RYCA Cafe' kit installed.   I believe there are a couple of them that come up for sale on eBay every year.  Use Tempest Craigslist to see if you can find one anywhere near you.

Blue Collar Bobber makes kits for the Ninja 250, TU250, and they are more affordable than the RYCA kits.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 10/08/17 at 07:41:06

I have never ridden a little Kawasaki, but would like to. A guy was telling me about a fellow he knew in Odessa, six foot or so, not small,, who rode the 250 and really had fun with it. Rode it for years.
Suggest you get something to ride.
Have fun, think about what you want as a cafe, maybe you can find one someone started on. You can work on getting tooled up and schooled up on bending, welding, brazing, and be able to ride
And build.
How old are you?

IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 10/08/17 at 16:07:38

I have had a Ninja 250R (2008), Ninja 300 (2014), Nina ZX-6R (2016) and Ninja 650 (2017).
Yeah I know, they're all Ninjas and I don't know why, I always feel Ninjas feel right when I sit on them compare to R6 or CBR600RR.
I like the Suzuki GSX-R750 but the fact that there's no ABS option was a deal breaker. And no I'm not looking for an ABS for Ryca since I know it doesn't have one.

Yes I have seen the website and pictures of Blue Collar Ninja 250, but I didn't like it at all.
The shape of tank does not flow, the gauge cluster is big and cheap looking, the Parallel Twin with liquid-cooled block with radiator does not look classic/vintage of cafe racer.
To me, that bike looked like a toy. Yes, I know Triumph Street Cup is not air-cooled (if I remember correctly) but it doesn't matter because it has this air-cooled look.

The TU250x is not bad, but it's only 250cc and not any lighter than the Ryca CS-1.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 10/08/17 at 17:29:02

Have you sat on a savage?

IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 10/09/17 at 07:26:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/08/17 at 17:29:02:
Have you sat on a savage?

Actually no I haven't.
But I don't really see a point because sole purpose of me looking for Savage is to convert it into a Rycan CS-1 (or DIY cafe racer).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 12:51:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › non-Ryca Cafe Racer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.