ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: non-Ryca Cafe Racer?
Reply #15 - 10/05/17 at 06:54:40

I can relate to Timpo.  

I didn't want to spend the money on a kit.  But, I don't think Ryca is really overpriced either.  I've purchased several parts from them that I could have found a little cheaper.  But, I know their parts will do exactly what I need so I don't mind the little extra I spent on those.  There were other parts I copied and a few that I made based on the parts I was using.  

In the end, I spent around $2,500 $1,700 on my build plus the cost of my bike. I didn't spend a much of money on any of the parts you listed (my tank was $60 shipped) and I didn't do any paint or chrome.  I did have to spend a lot of time chasing/fabricating parts and had to borrow a friends welder.  So if you look at what you get from Ryca it's not really out of line at all.  

EDIT:  Wrong price.

« Last Edit: 10/23/17 at 12:04:45 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #16 - 10/05/17 at 13:04:22

Ruttly wrote on 10/04/17 at 15:18:55:
And you forgot the best part ! No resale value !!!
I have a Ryca but it ain't for sale ! Grin

Here's one on the local Craigslist if you don't have to have one built to YOUR specs.

https://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/d/suzuki-custom-cafe/6244743820.html

It's been listed since at least last spring.

IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/05/17 at 15:02:53

I can't believe some of you guys spent up to 3 year's to complete the project.
RYCA says it should take about 40 hours with basic mechanical skills.

Even if it was custom project like I'm planning.. I shouldn't take 3 years? Unless you were purposely working on it slow?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 10/05/17 at 15:20:03

Not so much complete as perfecting. I work 6 or 7 days a week , commute time is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours round trip. So it doesn't leave but a hour or two a week if I'm lucky. Was riding it for test n tune for about nine months.  Back apart for upgrades , paint , seat , etc !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/05/17 at 16:34:25

ah I see, that makes sense

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 10/05/17 at 17:59:54

Timpo wrote on 10/05/17 at 15:02:53:
RYCA says it should take about 40 hours with basic mechanical skills.

I seriously doubt if you could do the RYCA in 40 hours the first time, even with their instructions it takes some time to understand what it going on, and you will spend a lot of time going back and forth from the instructions and the project....and back again.

It will take even more time if you want to do it on your own - without a kit.

I can devote 10-20 hours a week in the winter - very little in the summers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #21 - 10/05/17 at 19:55:41

I love it when people who've never done something like this tell me how long it will take.
Doing a complete electrical redo on an Airhead BMW right now and the owner tells me someone told him it should only take 7-10 hours.
M-Unit, M-Button, M-Gadget, upgraded charging system, different throttle system, different clutch lever/cable, Motogadget mini buttons, LED integrated tail light, Moto gadget speedo/tach/idiot lights, blah, blah, blah..
Point is, it's always faster in your head than in the real world.
Sometimes one bracket will take over an hour.
And it depends on how good your tool collection is, and what your skill level is.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/05/17 at 20:05:46

And just how persnickety you get about how it looks.
The rule of 80/20 comes into play along with the tooling and skill set.
What fabrication have you done?
Got grinder, cut off, drill press, tools?
If you are comfortable taking stuff apart and don't hafta scratch your butt for twenty minutes trying to figure out how to pull the tank, you'll probably be okay.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 10/05/17 at 21:09:34

My bike was mocked up 3 times and it should have been 4 cause I missed a couple small things. I think the frame/swingarm took the longest , cutting , welding , grinding and finish ready for powder coating. And then fitting a chain tensioner that took a lot of time for alignment & angle , it's welded to the RYCA rear set bracket. Made my own muffler from another and made a repackable core for it. And I could go on & on , this is no 40 hr bike. She handles well,stops fast and hauls a$$,and looks hella sexy.
A lot of blood , sweat & cash , but she's one cool ride Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 10/06/17 at 04:29:10

I have hundreds of hours in my conversion - and I did buy some RYCA parts so I didn't have to spend hours building some of the things they had already perfected. Below is an illustration of just how long some of this stuff can take - I likely have more than 25 hours in just getting the battery box made and the fuel tank modified.

It took me about 10 hours to design, cut, build  and paint this battery box.

The battery box also serves as the lower half of the rear fender.  It has the battery on top, the brake light switch is mounted on the right side, the starter relay is mounted below the battery, and the igniter is located on the left side.

Getting the GT550 fuel to fit the way I wanted probably took another 12-14 hours to complete if you count the blacksmithing, relocating the petcock, making a notch for clearance at the top of the engine where the cam chain is located, and building the mounts.

But in order to get it down low enough to sit proper - I had to make more room in the tunnel under the tank, and it took about 6 hours of heating, hammering and fitting:

Then once I got the tank to sit low enough, I made the front tanks mounts:

I got the mount for the petcock relocated:

The GT550 tank has this spot where it would sit on a rubber cushion on the frame:

I made this mount and rubber block for the tank to sit on:

I then used the GT550 rubber strap and made a new piece for the strap to attach that is under the tank instead of on the back where it hit the seat:

« Last Edit: 10/06/17 at 05:42:01 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #25 - 10/06/17 at 06:02:46

My build is similar to Dave's in a lot of ways.  I did mine is stages and was able to ride it after each stage.  I didn't have to do the extra work on the tank.  I spent far less time on my battery box, but I changed the design slightly and had to do it twice. So probably 4 hours.  Overall I knocked my build out pretty fast, but I still probably have well over 100 hours in it and I didn't finish it to perfection of modify anything mechanical (outside of the mid controls) or electrical.

I started my work at the end of August last summer wheels and suspension.  Then I used it for the rest of the summer while I planned the next phase planned out and acquired parts.  The rest of the build started late fall and was done by spring.  But it's not a show bike and I'll probably add a few finishing touches here and there.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1472222031/0

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 10/06/17 at 06:47:41

I haven't a clue of how many hours are involved and it's not done yet , but none of that matters cause I'm building it for myself and it has to be right.
And like Dave has said in the past , it's never really finished !  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 10/06/17 at 06:47:59

Dave, that is just delicious.
That's building a bike.
Royal Enfield had a design that allowed you to pick what it looked like. Parts just interchanged. The Savage doesn't have any real convenient donors to swipe parts from. But, with the right tools and a mind that can envision the solutions, and the skills to bring the pictures in the mind into reality, it Can be done.

If someone doesn't have the skills, they won't likely have the tools.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/06/17 at 08:27:43

yeah that battery box was one of the reason why I felt Ryca stuff was out of my budget  Embarrassed

The battery box is $350 ($400 if you want gloss black color)

But I guess the time it takes to fabricate and stuff maybe it's worth it?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #29 - 10/06/17 at 10:19:00

Daves battery box design it better , it got room for a big air filter !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 03:26:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › non-Ryca Cafe Racer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.