Send Topic Print
non-Ryca Cafe Racer? (Read 756 times)
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

non-Ryca Cafe Racer?
10/04/17 at 13:45:07

As you know, Ryca kit will give you the complete look if you wanted to do a cafe racer conversion on your S40.

The biggest problem I have is the price.

The starting price of $3,095 is a bit too steep.

For example, Ryca tank will cost you $999, but if you look on eBay, you can get an universal cafe racer tank for $100 to $200.
The Ryca clip on handle bars will cost you $159 but the universal ones are $25 to $30 on ebay.
Ryca seat kit will cost you $450 to $500 depending on upholstery, but the universal cafe racer seats are $30 to $100 on eBay.

My question is, have you guys ever done DIY cafe racer mod on your S40?
If every single parts is replacable with eBay parts, I think you could save big chunk of money.

What would be the total? I'm guessing it won't be anywhere near $3,095...

IP Logged
Timpo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: non-Ryca Cafe Racer?
Reply #1 - 10/04/17 at 13:46:04

and here's the link.. although the kit looks good and complete, $3095 is out of my budget
http://shop.rycamotors.com/ryca_cs1_kit.html

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 10/04/17 at 15:18:55

And you forgot the best part ! No resale value !!!
I have a Ryca but it ain't for sale ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/04/17 at 16:11:47

RYCA parts are going to fit and be high quality.

eBay parts are hit and miss, they may not fit, they may or may not be good.  At the cost savings you could order eBay parts until you find one that works for you maybe.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 10/04/17 at 18:03:01

Ruttly ,makes an excellent point. when you make changes to a stock bike it should be to make it what you want it to be ,but it won't make it more valuable. I wouldn't see anything wrong with using parts from Ebay etc. even parts you might use that don't fit perfectly could be altered to fit. I've done this on my bike by taking into account how each piece added needs to blend with all the others (consider the whole picture).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 10/04/17 at 18:49:50

There are many non RYCA cafe builds that have been built by our members. The quality is typically outstanding.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/04/17 at 19:19:46

In the Bike Build section, you can find several Cafe' bikes that aren't RYCA bikes.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1383565946

My build is a bit of a hybrid - I used a few of the RYCA parts, and others that weren't RYCA.

If you are talented, have a vision, have good tools and a nice garage to work in, you don't need RYCA's help.  If you are a bit less talented - then RYCA makes it possible for you to build the bike of your dreams in a kit form where the parts are built - but you need to make them fit and assemble them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 10/04/17 at 20:54:16

I've seen built Rycas on C/L asking the moon to start for months & months as the price creeps down into the no profit/taking a loss to get rid of it. But I wanted to build a RYCA ever since I saw a tiny article in a magazine. So when a donor bike popped up in town a 96 with only 809 on the clock for $1500 and a call to RYCA. Although mine is mostly RYCA the project went from a two week project into 3 year project(still in progress)that has taken on a life of its own , totally consuming my life and my dreams. I needed this build as a stepping stone between building stockers to building a custom from a kit and who knows what's next ! It's been so much fun and such a learning experience , some credit to our members here for all the help and putting up with me for almost 3 years !
So build a bike , kit or total custom , just build a bike.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/04/17 at 21:33:55

If you plan on riding, get two.
A nice one to ride and a cosmetically challenged one to build

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 10/04/17 at 21:48:16

Seat to be made this month. Paint job back by Xmas. Rest of upgrades by early 2018. Can't afford 2 of these and don't you even ask how $$

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #10 - 10/04/17 at 21:52:41

JOG:  did exactly that! S41 & S42! one not stock, one looks stock but popular mods. Trying to resist buying a 3rd one! This time of year, lots of bikes going on sale! Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 10/05/17 at 02:42:41

zipidachimp wrote on 10/04/17 at 21:52:41:
JOG:  did exactly that! S41 & S42! one not stock, one looks stock but popular mods. Trying to resist buying a 3rd one! This time of year, lots of bikes going on sale! Cool

Yes indeed, the time for sales is beginning.
December and January are very best months for the best sales, especially if we have a harsh winter.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 10/05/17 at 05:16:13

Ryan and Casey (Ry Ca) did a great job designing a beautiful and simple bike. The parts that are fabricated by them (or for them) are well designed and well built. Are the parts expensive? Some are, but these are low volume production pieces that are batch built. RYCA have to place a large enough order to interest a manufacturer, and then they have to carry the cost of warehousing unsold parts. It's a risky business, and that is reflected in the price.

I have no problem with their mark-up and profit. I'm enjoying my bike and have never once complained about the quality one of their parts. With that said, knowing what I know now, if I were to build another bike there are things I would buy from RYCA and things I would source on my own. But three years ago I didn't know what I know now. RYCA has done a masterful job of creating a one-stop-shopping environment for a novice custom builder.

I hope they are working on another interesting conversion. I'd gladly do business with them again. In fact, my DRZ Street Tracker has some parts on it that I purchased from RYCA.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/05/17 at 05:42:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/04/17 at 21:33:55:

Up here we have winters.  Ice, snow, cold....it is a 4-5 month period where riding is miserable - but it does allow you time to tear into a project and have it done before riding weather returns.  For me the riding stops sometime in November when the first snow comes and salt is put on the roads - and it continues until heavy spring rains in late March wash the salt off the roads.  The salt is very corrosive to a motorcycle - and I like shiny motorcycles!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 10/05/17 at 06:49:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/04/17 at 21:33:55:

When I went searching for a bike for a cafe conversion I set out to find a running, unloved rat. That's what I found and in short order I was unhappy with my search criteria. The bike I found was a'95 with 2,600 miles. It was adult-female owned and never ridden hard. But when it wasn't ridden, it was stored in a metal shed with a dirt floor on the NJ Shore - a wet salty environment. Here's why a "cosmetically challenged" bike is a false economy:

The finish on all of the clear coated aluminum parts (wheel hubs, engine cases, fork sliders, handlebar controls, t-clamps, directional mounts....) was damaged. I thought I could simply clean these parts up and they'd look new again, but I was oh so wrong. I had to remove the remaining clear coat and hand polish everything. It was a gigantic PIA.

The few chromed parts that were reused for the build (fork stanchions, headlight) were pitted. I brought these back to life with steel wool and WD-40, but once again, I was polishing instead of building. The head light bucket was replaced with a 7" unit and I've been looking for replacement forks for some time now. I will settle for nothing less then forks in perfect condition.

My frame was rough. Not only did I have to paint the cut modifications, but I found all sorts of places that required touch up. The swing arm was in such bad condition that I had it powder coated (it now looks beautiful).

There was a dent in my tank. This didn't concern me at first. In fact, RYCA hammered most of it out during the tank modification. But it still required body work. Time and money.

I spent more time polishing and repairing then I did actually building. Knowing what I know now, I'd start off with a beautiful bike...and build a better looking bike from it. My "cheap" rat bike probably cost me an additional $1,000. I would have gladly spent that up front if I knew the amount of effort involved.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 12:56:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › non-Ryca Cafe Racer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.