Send Topic Print
Royal Enfield (Read 118 times)
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Royal Enfield
10/02/17 at 12:24:47

Has anyone here owned one? if so what did you think of it?

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Re: Royal Enfield
Reply #1 - 10/02/17 at 13:35:39

I am interested in seeing what responses you get. Do you mean the originals made in England, or the more modern Indian version?

I never owned a Royal Enfield, but rode a Bullet 350 a fellow motorcyclist let me try. That was in the mid 60s.  I liked my own 1956 Ariel Red Hunter better, but that was a 500cc, with about the same power than our Savage motorcycles.  The 350 Royal Enfield had less. Never rode a 500 version of the Bullet.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 10/02/17 at 13:49:40

I've owned a 2014 Continental GT since new. have 27000km km on it now. hasn't left me stranded anywhere yet. component quality is ok. engines are hand assembled by Indians so build quality is very hit and miss. dealer support is terrible in Australia and it sounds like RE North America are no better. on the up side, it's great fun to ride as longas you don't want to go over 75mph. its amazingly good in the bends. handles like an old twin shock Ducati. and the bike is very simple to work on. if you don't like fuel injection, there are Amal and Mikuni carb conversions available.
go in with your eyes open and you might have a good time. I never recommend anyone to buy a RE because I don't want to be the bad guy if it goes wrong. But I love my CGT to bits.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #3 - 10/02/17 at 16:31:54

We've got 2 in the stable. One is a 2001 iron barrel 4 speed. The other is a 2009 lean-burn AVL European designed head and 5 speed. Admittedly, the AVL is a more "modern" bike. But, I clearly prefer the iron barrel mount. You'll need a full complement of tools, plenty of spare time to tinker and it helps to have a welder. But, easy to work on. There's certain truth in the Enfield poster that proudly states "Untainted by Technology". I've got 2 of those posters. One for each bike.
If your question is comparative regarding the Savage, they're from different centuries - literally.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 10/02/17 at 22:29:45

One of my buddies has a 1956 Indian 500 single,built by Royal Enfield. You can feel every time it fires the plug at any speed/rpm. As primitive as it gets even with the mag/dyno ignition. Has a lever on the bars that changes timing for easy starting. What a ball to ride , a step back in time !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/03/17 at 08:26:12

The best bike I ever owned was a Royal Enfield GT 750cc Interceptor but that was in the mid sixties when the company still existed in England.  The crankshaft was made of a nodular cast iron and was dynamically balanced which made it the smoothest British twin ever made.  Vibration was not an annoyance with that bike.  Published specs today understate its' power and performance because they use the earlier British specs.  Many of the Interceptors shipped to the States had an aggressive "factory race cam" as they called it then and a somewhat higher compression ratio.  It was a hot bike in the sixties and the ergonomics and handling were wonderful.  It also had the signature long stroke that gave it great torque and a unique and pleasing sound.  I think the Indian models still retain that long stroke.

I've been thinking about getting one of the new models but I've heard various opinions on build quality and performance of Indian built bikes.  I've read that the newer ones with the unit construction engine/trans are built in a new European designed plant with better quality control.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 10/03/17 at 12:52:00

Try, and Google "so you want to buy a Royal Enfield".

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:21:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Royal Enfield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.