Will you miss the NFL? (Read 81 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Will you miss the NFL?
09/29/17 at 13:20:44

It is looking like some lawyers have their eyes set on the deep pockets of the NFL owners with CTE being their vehicle to wealth.

About CTE:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

Will the NFL succumb to the pressure exhibited upon it?

You can see other sports are linked to its risk as well.

Could motorcycle riding be outlawed under that umbrella too?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Will you miss the NFL?
Reply #1 - 09/29/17 at 13:23:50

Is "Touch Football" in the NFL future?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/29/17 at 14:07:47

Every thing they've done is to reduce the 'immediate' type injury... broken bones, blood spurting everywhere.  Yet injuries persist.

From our Ozzie compatriots, how does rugby fair?

If the armor was removed, players would be less inclined to spear the opponent.  It's either that or the helmet is going to be fused to the shoulder pads.

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 09/29/17 at 14:36:26

Will our world really become of the mindset of VR?

I jest, sorta, but Ray Bradbury and company wrote science fiction, however now you might find it listed in the non-fiction section, as much of it has been realized.

Will we become a human race that lives through another media, opting out of real interactions for the safety of what seclusion offers?

A real Howard Hughes complex?

Hasn't life always come at accepting death?

I don't want to venture down that thought too deeply, forcing it unto another forum....
I would rather keep it lighter, and just focus on the surface of what our lives would be like without risk.

Can you imaging no football?

The impact of its absence would be staggering.........

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 09/29/17 at 21:29:28

Ok I changed the subject a little , but yeah in 5 or so years it will be nothing but a game of grab a$$. At least MMA has a winner and a loser , football will be played by losers  and watched by losers. I can see it now Super Bowl of Graba$$  Grin Grin Grin
National Foofoo League  Grin Grin Grin
Read statistics on head & neck injuries for horseback riders sometime are they going to make that illegal too !
They know the dangers , let them play football , after they sign a waiver !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 09/29/17 at 21:47:57

I won't miss football , but I would miss being moderated. It's fun knowing someone can't stand my opinions and has the authority to cancel someone's right to free speech.
Ray I recall you whining about being moderated awhile back.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 09/30/17 at 01:37:18

verslagen1 wrote on 09/29/17 at 14:07:47:

You can't tackle above the shoulders. otherwise, it's pretty brutal. Google "illegal tackles in rugby" and look at the images. Pretty funny stuff. AFL (aussie rules football) is almost as bad sometimes but unfortunately the fisticuffs are frowned upon nowadays.
No armour used in these games.  Cool

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 09/30/17 at 18:25:43

verslagen1 wrote on 09/29/17 at 14:07:47:

If the armor was removed, players would be less inclined to spear the opponent.  It's either that or the helmet is going to be fused to the shoulder pads.

There are no spear tackles in either code of rugby. The generally accepted technique is to hit the opponent in the waist with your shoulder. If you get an opponent off the ground you have an obligation to make sure his feet don't get higher than his head, so you can't spear him into the ground.

Probably the most dangerous play for the neck is to be caught in a collapsed scrum. That's over 900 kgs of body weight on either side, pushing against each other, while your shoulders are locked against your proponent's, or between the hips of your team mates.

In Australian rules football, which is a very fast game, and includes tackling, the general guideline for a fair tackle is - your body has to be on the line as much as you're opponent's. That means elbows down, eyes on the ball and tackling from the front or side. It is illegal to tackle from behind if you just drive the guy forward into the ground. If you tackle from behind you have to either pull the opponent back onto yourself as you fall backward, or roll the two of you over on the way to the ground

AFL has new rules now about concussion too. Players must be pulled from the game if it is suspected they suffered a concussion. Of course, the diagnosis can be somewhat subjective.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:22:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Will you miss the NFL?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.