NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
What's that noise
09/29/17 at 11:59:32

Morning,
I'm relatively new to the forum and have been lurking.  The amount of knowledge here is staggering!!  Well, here's a question for you Savage gurus. What I have read so far is that a question needs background information.  Here's the background:

Bike: 2007 S40
Purchased used...3rd owner...2400 miles on speedo
Dyna muffler
Raptor petcock
Jets that stopped the backbark (mostly if I throttle with some finese)
Seat raised
12.5 inch shocks
Recent service..oil change...10-40W Castrol...viewing port shows full...not half down the glass
Pretty much stock...haven't tinkered yet with carb change, etc.
Love this little bugger...big single torque...totally cool

I changed helmets and am hearing more.  So this isn't a loud anything.

Here's the symptom:

When I cut the throttle for deceleration at stoplights, in traffic, or even to shift I am hearing a noise that seems to be coming from the left side of the tranny case (who knows as sounds can refer to other areas). It is kinda of a high pitched chirping/whining, not really a grind, maybe some chain slack rubbing on guides, definitely mechanical...sounds like some kind of gear backlash in my limited experience. If I pull the clutch the noise immediately stops. Since I'm 65-years-young I believe getting on top of an unwanted or symptomatic noise is paramount as mechanical issues seldom, as in never, heal themselves.  Doesn't effect performance...is annoying.

Here's the question?

Anyone have insights?  Is this the camchain adjuster issue that seems to be a standard replacement on this bike?  Disengaging the transmission by engaging clutch makes me think this is a tranny issue, though. Is this part of this bike's charm like the occasional backfire I've grown to love?

Like I said at the beginning of my post...the knowledge in this forum is truly amazing.  I'm sure I'm not the first or last to hear this unwanted noise.

Thanks in advance for your time and shared expertise! * NMSavage  

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: What's that noise
Reply #1 - 09/29/17 at 12:22:24

Sounds like the belt. You can prove it by rubbing canning was on it. If it changes,you found it.
The belt is a common irritant. Adjusting it according to Suzuki specification guarantees noise. The Tech section has lots of answers

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/29/17 at 12:29:05

My transmission whines a bit on deceleration.....and this is pretty normal on this bike.

I am not worrying about it, as the transmission is not one of the areas where the forum experiences any frequent problems.

I would be more worried about the 10W-40 Castrol.  Are you using a car oil in the motorcycle.......or a motorcycle oil?  How much ZDDP does it have?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #3 - 09/29/17 at 14:02:34

Dave wrote on 09/29/17 at 12:29:05:
I would be more worried about the 10W-40 Castrol.  

+1 .   Get some 15W-40 Diesel oil (like Shell Rotella T) in that machine Wink

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #4 - 09/29/17 at 14:35:56

I had the belt squealing issue when I purchased mine (2011) and I found out here that then properly adjusted, the bottom of the belt should be able to be twisted 1/4 rotation.

Also, the belt will tend to "dry out" so I found that the best solution is to lightly spray it with your wife's spray cooking oil (like Pam).  Works for about 1,000 miles.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #5 - 09/29/17 at 14:55:03

Thanks for the responses.  I'll check out the belt. Could definitely be transmission whine...weak whine though. Oil was motorcycle oil as per local Suzuki dealer.  I'm in the process of reading all the oil discussion and the Redline addition of ZDDP.  Obvioulsy there's lots of concern about kind and quality of oil.  I wasn't thinking oil would cause a whine...I'll go the Rotella with ZDDP route. I've owned this bike approximately 2 weeks.  
Anyway...I appreciate all the input.  

I was most concerned about something internal with too much slop. Sounds like it might be easier than that.

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/29/17 at 14:59:19

Letting it idle on the sidestand starves the high end of the cam for oil.
Low idle doesn't deliver oil to the top end well.
We've got some high mileage bikes, one over 150,000 , using Rotella.
It's cheap, available, and it works.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/29/17 at 18:32:47

there is a lil pad that isolates the belt guard from the front pully guard

SGP# 14789-24B12
had to replace twice on my 06

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/30/17 at 06:14:36

He stated that when he pulls the clutch, the noise disappears.  That don't sound like a belt problem.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/30/17 at 06:50:41

Loaded, unloaded, belt makes completely different noise.

Use wax, see if it changes.

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #10 - 09/30/17 at 12:49:04

I get the same type of sound with the same symptoms on my 2005 with 4K miles.
When the clutch is in, noise goes away. Also there is no noise if I just rev the engine to the same RPM. Noise seems to be gone if I am hard on the throttle. I get the noise with light throttle and when backing off.
I have only put a few hundred miles on the bike since I got it.

IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #11 - 09/30/17 at 14:30:28

Afternoon All,

I took the time today to attack the unwanted noise issue armed with the thoughts and recommendations from you forum contributors. Here's what I did and the final result.

1. Checked belt tension.  Seemed like my twist offered up a greater than 90 degree deflection.

2. Removed the cover and watched the belt as it moved through it's travel. On the underside of the belt approximately 10" back from the pulley there are case bolt heads.  It looked like the underside of the belt could rub on one of those case bolt heads.  (I replaced the 10.5 inch shocks with 12.5 inch Intruder shocks). The longer shocks changed the attitude angle of the belt and it looked like that introduced the underside of the belt to the bolt head. I never looked before the shock change. Verslagen1 shared that with that shock mod there's some trimming to do.  I trimmed the lower belt guard when I installed the shocks to stop interference with the pulley.  I did not however trim the upper belt guard in front of the pulley.

3. Tightened the belt 1.5-2 turns on each side tightener.  Twisting resulted in 75 to 80 degree deflection. That resolved the underside of the belt having enough slack to touch the case bolt head. However, it caused the lugs on the belt to rub on the upper belt guard.  Little trimming there and no more rub. (all this was done on my bike jack so bike was unloaded and swing arm full down position).

4. Didn't have canning wax so I used some furniture wax and reconditioned the belt.

5. For you oil guys...I dropped the Castrol Performance 1 10-40W motorcycle oil. Filled the crankcase with 2 quarts Amsoil 10-40W motorcycle oil and 4.5 oz of ZDDP additive.  Didn't think oil would cause the noise I was hearing...but hey...I'm not an ingrate and appreciate all the input.

6. Took off my helmet and went for a test ride...NO NOISE!  I'm Friggin' happy.

Buster6315, I have no idea why engaging the clutch decelerating from 30 to 0 would stop the noise if it was belt...unless the backing off let the bottom of the belt droop enough that the belt and that case bolt head were having an issue. Pad between belt and front pulley guard looked to be still functional. So justin_o_guy2, piedmontbuckeye, and all whom pointed toward belt...think you guys were on to something. I've only had chain drive previously...belt funkiness is new to me. If Amsoil is that much better than Castrol Performance 1 racing motorcycle oil then it stopped the noise if the noise was internal.

Bottom line is no more noise.

Antmanbee...I do believe I would start looking at the bottom of the belt as it travels.  A quick tension job and some wax might be your answer.

Thank you all for the brain trust ideas, recommendations and experience.

I would like to write more...but...it's time for a ride  Grin

* NMSavage  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 09/30/17 at 16:39:58

What kind of ZDDP additive are you using?

With Redline, we only add 1 oz per gallon.

You don't want to exceed 1,400 ppm, or it can actually do harm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/30/17 at 16:56:51

Rotella
Simplicity

IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #14 - 09/30/17 at 18:42:41

Dave,

I certainly appreciate your seriously honed eye on the ZDDP additive situation.  I used Rislone 3x Concentrated ZDDP w/Zinc treatment.  Las Cruces NM couldn't answer the call for Redline in 4 stops so I made a decision to try what I could buy.  "For 4-stroke marine & motorcycle , agricultural industrial and racing engines use 2 oz for every quart of oil capacity." 2.4 (or 2.3 depending on where the capacity spec comes from) quart = x 2 = 4.8 (or 4.6 oz) treatment.  

If you know this Rislone is counterfeit and that ultimately I f**** up...please enlighten me.  I'd  rather, again, dump fresh high quality oil to make sure I'm not headed down a trail that leads to disappointment.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:27:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What's that noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.