Be watchful/careful! (Read 187 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Be watchful/careful!
Reply #15 - 10/01/17 at 10:57:55

Salb has a point, while riding home last Saturday evening, I noticed a guy broken down in the middle of one of our excuses for motorways. He was dressed in black and riding a gloss black bike. I didn't notice him until I was quite close.
I've always worn some form of high visibility jacket and a white helmet, I ride a predominantly white bike, and I don't care what people think of this. I wonder why people would buy matt black or grey bikes which blend into tar seal/blacktop. I think the high vis stuff can give the enemy a little more warning of your presence.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 10/01/17 at 11:26:26

That and a chromed 357 magnum   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 10/01/17 at 15:26:07

If I know I won't make it home before darkness sets in I bring my backpack with my hi/vis clothing , but don't ride much at night. I find that sun up & sun down times the most dangerous due to changing light and sun low on the horizon makes it even harder for them to see us !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #18 - 10/02/17 at 03:03:13

Yes Verslagen, but only you Americans would be able to fire it while riding, the rest of the world would fall off their bikes.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #19 - 10/02/17 at 09:50:01

Glad you made it out OK, Dave.  Great example of how you can never let your guard down.

I learned how stupid people can be while driving when I worked at the Fire Dept.  I would be driving a big quad cab class A pumper with 1500 gallons of water and everything else a fire truck has to offer (heavy and not easy to stop on a dime), and we would approach intersections with lights and sirens blaring and cars would literally look up and stare you in the eyes, slam on brakes, and stop dead center of the intersection in front of you and just sit there. Some people just panic and freeze up and others just don't pay attention.

No matter how big and loud you are people are still going to do stupid things at your expense.  BE VIGILANT!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #20 - 10/02/17 at 20:57:39

Riding at night requires extra caution, like Ruttly mentions packing Hi vis clothing. I have found these great Bell Silicone LED Light Sets sold at Walmart in their bike dept. They are small and compact, have these stretchy bands and clips, so easy to attach. You get a white and a red in each pack. They run on one battery (each) the size of a quarter. Small enough to stash in your tool box on bike or saddle bags, even your pocket. At night I put a red on each rear turn signal pointing down and slightly forward and the whites on the crash bar on front of frame pointing down at road between frame and front wheel. Greatly improves visability of bike from almost all angles. Attached a photo. They cost about $13.00 per pack of 2.

IMG_1602.JPG
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #21 - 10/02/17 at 22:25:33

Here's a picture of the lights in the package.

Untitled_026.jpg
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 10/03/17 at 12:11:46

It's not just people, I had a head on with a vulture recently. Head on as in I dropped my head not to take the hit in my face shield and smacked him head on with the top of my helmet at about 55mph. Can't believe it didn't knock me off the bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:16:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Be watchful/careful!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.