Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Be watchful/careful!
09/29/17 at 05:14:43

Last night I rode to the bike night at Quaker Steak and Lube, it was 77 degrees and could be the last event of the year that is well attended (it was 47 degrees when I drove to work this morning).

I took the back roads as I275 is crazy and dangerous in the evening rush hour.  As I was riding I saw a pickup truck pull up to a side road....and I kept my eye on him to be sure he was going to stop.  He stopped, and as I got within 100 feet of him - he pulled out in front of me.  Luckily I had my eye on him and was ready for him to do this - there was no traffic in the other lane so I applied the brakes and moved over to the left and passed him....and paused briefly along side so he could see that I was magic and could appear out of nowhere.  There is a STOP sign about 1/4 mile up the road, and I stopped and went back to talk to him.  He and his wife appeared to be in their late 70's, and as I suspected.....he didn't see me.  He was not a cell phone user - just one of those folks who scans the road for a car and doesn't really look.  I had on a red jacket, and an 8" headlight with an LED bulb in it - I am not very hard to see!

Then a mile down the road I came up behind a truck pulling a small trailer.  He was going about 10 mph under the speed limit, and he was in a passing zone.  As I got up behind him he slowed even more as we approached a bridge......and then he turned left into a driveway without using a turn signal.  If I had chosen to pass him (it would have been a legal pass) - but I would likely have just hit the side of his truck as he turned.

We really need to ride as if everyone else is going to do something stupid - because they do stupid things all the time!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Be watchful/careful!
Reply #1 - 09/29/17 at 05:51:40

That's right Dave you should treat every vehicle as if it is out to KILL you !
No exceptions , that one time you loose concentration is when it happens and anything in the roadway can get you too. Animals , shredded truck tire , debri of all kinds , scan the road well ahead of the bike , stay alert & sober and stay alive , Ride Safe !!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 09/29/17 at 07:10:05

YEP

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 09/29/17 at 07:59:41

That makes me think of putting a light bar on my bike ... Three lights instead of one , but even then "Careless people are still Careless people"  Sad Sad .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/29/17 at 09:03:19

Thanks for the warning Dave. I have to admit I do not ride much at night. I also have to admit that I am not bashful about using my horn or flashing my lights. Yes, I believe every car is out to get me.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 09/29/17 at 09:24:17

Dave wrote on 09/29/17 at 05:14:43:
We really need to ride as if everyone else is going to do something stupid - because they do stupid things all the time!

I've always said something similar; "ride like they are going to kill you - because they will".

I drive a full size pick up truck and I'm amazed how people do stupid things because they didn't process that I was ACTUALLY there. "Sorry Dude, I didn't see you" just isn't good enough after bike car contact.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/29/17 at 10:34:07

I was following an ambulance,bright red, yello reflective stripes, and a pickup stopped at a sign and pulled out in front of him. He was on the horn and brakes as he dodged. I was glad that ambulance was in front of me.
There's really no way to distrust the other guy too much.
I've walked back to talk to a guy who ran a stop sign,on the phone. He was still on it while I was telling him to lay it down before he killed someone. He was older than me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 09/29/17 at 14:35:39

Ruttly wrote on 09/29/17 at 05:51:40:
That's right Dave you should treat every vehicle as if it is out to KILL you !
No exceptions , that one time you loose concentration is when it happens and anything in the roadway can get you too. Animals , shredded truck tire , debri of all kinds , scan the road well ahead of the bike , stay alert & sober and stay alive , Ride Safe !!

Exactly! Mindset is so important. I had a close call a couple of days ago on the way home from work. I live in an area with small suburbs set among coastal nature reserves. There are often various critters about 1-2 feet in height that mull around on the side of the road - wallabies, wombats, and flightless birds. I usually slow right down to pass them.

I hadn't ridden much during winter and spring is arriving here so it was a nice evening to take the long way home. I also had a bit of stress recently. So, I thought I'd go via a road where I could open the bike up a bit to 100km/hr. I was in the mindset of 'blowing out the cobwebs'. I saw a couple of flightless birds up ahead on the side of the road. I actually forgot about the importance of slowing down. But I did keep an eye on them.

Sure enough, one of them darted (they kid of jog) across the road. I was ready with the brakes, but began to try to evade him first. I realised quickly we were going to meet at the shoulder of the road. So I was on the brakes hard and managed to pull up enough to watch him dart in front of my front wheel.

He was big enough that I would have lost traction if I'd hit him. I was relieved but also surprised at myself for forgetting what I knew was a necessary tactic when approaching these guys.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/29/17 at 17:45:41

EVERY other driver/rider out there cant see you
I had a biker in the same rally I was riding in cut me off from the left of me getting to the side of the road
good thing I was staggered with new front brake pads
he was clueless
no signal, no looking back, just cut over from the left part of the lane to the roadside..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 09/29/17 at 19:14:09

You have three Friends in motorcycling, your two mirrors and the big gap all around you. Everything/one else is your enemy.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #10 - 09/30/17 at 08:27:15

While not the most fashionable, wearing bright (fluorescent) colors does seem to help a little.  There's a guy I see around here occasionally who painted his Harley safety orange. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 09/30/17 at 10:01:26

Went for ride Monday morning,.. a llama crossed the road in front of me...

A LLAMA!!!.... Undecided

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #12 - 09/30/17 at 21:26:10

Serowbot wrote on 09/30/17 at 10:01:26:
Went for ride Monday morning,.. a llama crossed the road in front of me...

A LLAMA!!!.... Undecided

That's awesome!!

A mate of mine was riding a Honda 750 through some mild twisties, through farm land. He was coming to a slip road (had a clear road ahead). He did a head check over his left shoulder, looked back up, and there was a bull standing on the road!! He hit it at 80 km/hr. Straight over the handlebars: Broken wrist, dislocated shoulder, twisted ankle, and damaged hips!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/01/17 at 03:58:59

springman wrote on 09/29/17 at 09:03:19:
Thanks for the warning Dave. I have to admit I do not ride much at night. I also have to admit that I am not bashful about using my horn or flashing my lights. Yes, I believe every car is out to get me.

My incident was around 6pm, it was still daylight and the sunset would not be for another couple of hours.  There was plenty of light for him to see me if he had looked......and I have that 8" headlight to help announce my presence.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 10/01/17 at 08:19:56

As I left the house this morning it was daylight and leaving the driveway the road is dirt/gravel for 0.3 miles before hitting the pavement.  Half way down the gravel portion I see some Ginneys (cousin to chicken) on the left side of the one lane road.  Chickens are not too smart and Ginneys even less.  As I approach at about 35 mph they are just watching me and as I pass them the in ONE who jumps across the road right in front of me and somehow manages to to escape being run over by my wheel. I would have gone down if I had hit him straight on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:22:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Be watchful/careful!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.