New toy - scooter (Read 75 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
New toy - scooter
09/23/17 at 18:19:01

I bought a Yamaha C3 scooter a couple weeks ago.  It had bad crank bearings and I got it super cheap.  

Already got the crank kit (crank, rod, all new bearings, all gaskets/seals) and have the engine most of the way apart.

Looks like what caused all the damage was some ham-fisted idiot took out the timing chain tensioner and failed to retract it before reinstalling. Looks as though it was just shoved in the hole and the bolts tightened.
Both guides are broken and the crank bearing on that side is toast.

Chain looks to be fine and measures well within spec. It's only got 10k miles on it.  You can still see the factory crosshatch in the cylinder walls. I don't know how with all the metal floating around in there but the cylinder walls are perfect and so is the piston and rings.

Water cooled and fuel injected.  It should be lots of fun to ride when I get it all repaired.

Even with the engine problems, it ran like a champ when I got it until you put a load on it and the bearings started clacking. Idled just as smooth and started on the first bump of the starter.

I still find there's nothing better for a quick run to the store, McD's or something within a mile or so than just jump on the scooter, hit the button and go.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: New toy - scooter
Reply #1 - 09/23/17 at 18:43:25

Cool. I have come across a few opportunities to pick up a scooter that needed some TLC. But we live far enough outside of town to where it isn't really convenient to ride without getting on the county highway. With the Savage and the Ninja I'm set for now, but that still doesn't rule out the right scooter deal  Roll Eyes

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 09/24/17 at 10:27:06

Sounds like you need one of the bigger scooters instead of a moped sized one. The gas mileage on the little ones is great but covering large distances quickly just isn't gonna happen.

Around here, I can ride my moped to work (11 miles through the middle of town) and get there in the same amount of time it takes in the car. I have no problem hanging with downtown traffic.

There's been a bergman 400 for sale around here for about a month or so.  I though about it but I don't want a big scoot.  I've got the savage or ninja for when I want faster or long distances.  The scoot is just for local quick runs and some fun.

Maybe I should go ride the dragon on it when I get it running good.  Grin

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 10/17/17 at 17:51:17

Scoot got reassembled last weekend and is running great!

It's strange having fuel injection on something that small.It starts with just a bump of the start button and does right around 40 on flat land like most 50's.

It's so much smoother ride and power delivery than the standard chinese scoots.

I'm looking forward to a long time of service from it now.

It's got a 5 or 5.25" headlight like the savage except this one is a much better light.   You can actually see with it.

There's still a few things to do and a few farkles to add but all-in-all, I think I like it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 02:13:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › New toy - scooter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.