Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cutting out / stumbling at highway speeds? (Read 574 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Cutting out / stumbling at highway speeds?
Reply #15 - 09/22/17 at 11:53:53

Jeremy,if you still have the original rubber tube, you could use that to come off the carb and a piece of PVC pipe for the rest?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #16 - 09/22/17 at 15:57:21

Good idea.  Worst case, I can definitely cut a lot of the length off of the intake that's on there now and try to get the cone filter much closer to the carb.

Also found the rest of the jets that Lancer sent, so I've got those to try out as well.  Got my hands full of stuff to test!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 09/22/17 at 16:00:11

Wow,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #18 - 09/22/17 at 17:06:21

Cut a good chunk off of the intake, which should shorten up the intake path, as well as smoothing out that elbow as much as possible.

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #19 - 09/22/17 at 19:08:12

This is what I did. A longer straighter smooth intake flow into the carb is usually better.

S40_Filter_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #20 - 09/23/17 at 03:21:51

Yeah, that looks much better.  Gonna try to hit the hardware store this weekend and see if I can come up with some parts to fab up a baffle.

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #21 - 09/23/17 at 10:45:58

IslandRoad wrote on 09/21/17 at 19:12:45:
Dave, that is the most succinct set of instructions, for carb tuning, I've ever read on this site. That post should be made into a sticky!

I must agree IslandRoad, great tech tip Dave... forward and to the point!!👍

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #22 - 09/23/17 at 11:10:02

Jeremy wrote on 09/22/17 at 03:32:39:
Also, if it makes a difference, the cone filter is mounted on an elbow that bends down behind the engine, not directly to the carb...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Savage/i-5CvTPzk/0/0e58a188/M/IMG_1615-M.jpg

Great looking build Jeremy!!
I'm looking to head the direction of that look for the one I have "on the table" now! I was lucky enough to score 2 garage find fixer uppers not long ago. The daughter wants us to get one running for her, and the other is aiming for that lean bobber look youve obtained!
But where is your battery? Or do you push start it?!!

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #23 - 09/23/17 at 11:25:41

Thanks, Mike!  It isn't a look that everyone likes, but I wanted as lean and clean as possible.  Pretty happy with how it came out.

Battery is mounted in a little battery box that I bent up / welded.  It sits on a little bracket, just forward / under where the swingarm mounts to the frame.  It's that blue thing you can see in the picture right above the muffler.  A little LiPo battery.

If you have any questions at all about mine, just ask.  Not necessarily explanatory, but here is the gallery of all the pictures I took during the build...  https://jstrain.smugmug.com/Other/Savage/  There are some pictures of the battery box (which also functions as a muffler mount) in there somewhere, but I'm happy to snap some more detailed pictures if it'll help you out!

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #24 - 09/24/17 at 08:04:29

So the reshaped / shortened intake didn't help at all.  Still cutting out on the highway

Next step is trying to do something with the muffler.  I may give a shot at Batman's idea with the water jacket plug.  I think I can buy a replacement baffle (which you can't really call a baffle in the first place  Grin ) for cheap, which should make it easy to fiddle with off the bike.

If this helps troubleshooting, here is a picture of a new plug that I put in just before this morning's ride.  The ride was about 10 miles and involved a bit of highway, some surface street speeds, and some sitting in traffic.  Not sure how long you need to run a plug before you get a reliable reading.

For reference, this was the plug that was in the bike when I bought it and has been in use up until this morning...

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #25 - 09/24/17 at 09:47:47

Also pulled the petcock off and checked the filter screens just to be sure it they weren't clogged.  Both screens looked nice and clean.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 09/24/17 at 18:44:52

The porcelain tip of the plug should be light tan from the tip all the way down into the plug to where it meets the metal(even after many miles) your running very rich if it looks like that after 10 miles.

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #27 - 09/25/17 at 02:53:22

The top picture (with the pliers holding the plug) is the fresh one with just 10 miles. That one looks rich?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #28 - 09/25/17 at 06:25:11

Sorry ,can't really tell ,from what I can see it looks OK ,but I can't see down inside ,but porcelain should be "clean" with no soot all the way to it's base. the color will turn to a light tan over time (more miles).if it remains bright white then your running lean.

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #29 - 09/25/17 at 07:15:55

Gotcha. The second pic was the old plug that I took out. Could be the original for all I know.

I’ll keep the current one in for a while and give it another look after more miles.

In the meantime, I’m gonna check some other issues like making sure the gas cap vent is clear, float height, and my fuel hose. I think it might be some 1/4 inch that I had handy. Have some 5/16 coming in the mail.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:32:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cutting out / stumbling at highway speeds?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.