Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Addicted to polishing - forward controls. (Read 62 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Addicted to polishing - forward controls.
09/21/17 at 01:49:28

It started with some aluminum spacers for the new turn signals. Then my forward-control setup arrived from Ed.L.

I was deciding between gloss black or polish. The polish won!

I have fallen in love with polishing aluminum ... I may be addicted! You can turn a finish that's 'meh' into 'bling' with not much more than some elbow grease.

Good Lord I think I may be 'farkeling'!

IMG_20170921_184802.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Addicted to polishing - forward controls.
Reply #1 - 09/21/17 at 03:31:18

Yep, the polished does look very nice.

One problem is that it does tarnish after a bit, I have to polish the bare aluminum on my bike 2-3 times a year....and it is stored indoors!

If you clear coat it, some of the shine goes away, and you have the problem with corrosion when the surface gets scratched or nicked.  The brushed/polished parts on the Savage are clear coated and we are all familiar with the ugly look when the white/black corrosion starts to appear under the clear coat.

The folks on the Honda NT700 forum claim this stuff works very well to protect the aluminum - I haven't tried it yet.
http://www.skygeek.com/10013.html

Griot's polish has worked better at protecting the aluminum than Flitz, SimiChrome, and all the other polishes I have tried.

griots.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2 - 09/21/17 at 04:15:13

Thanks for the heads up Dave. I do plan to clear coat when finished. I figure the plates will mostly be behind my feet, and will get a bit of wear and tear. The polish is far from perfect, but from any realistic distance they look good.

I have noticed some crazy white 'veins' under the clear coat on some of the stock parts. Luckily, I'm not too worried about a pristine look ... just something that looks intentional - if that makes sense?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 09/21/17 at 09:03:19

They look good, nice job.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 09/21/17 at 13:27:42

Ed L. wrote on 09/21/17 at 09:03:19:
They look good, nice job.

Thanks Ed  Smiley
I'm really looking forward to getting them on the bike! Smiley

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 09/21/17 at 14:40:18

I certainly am not an expert, and I am not familiar with the above-mention products, but I have a suggestion.

I used to be a buyer for a company that made aluminum trailers (EAST Mfg. in Randolph, OH) and one of the components I was responsible for was the wheels.  We used both steel and aluminum wheels depending on what customer wanted.  In talking with the aluminum wheel rep., (we purchased from ALCOA aluminum) they sell a kit for truckers to keep their wheels shiny new.  Check the tractor trailer pulling an all-aluminum trailer and look at the aluminum wheels if it is equipped with them.  Shiny AND protected.  Both cleaner, two types of polish and protectant in the kit.

I did a simple internet search, but came up empty.  But I remember that Alcoa sold it.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:22:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Addicted to polishing - forward controls.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.