Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What's in your tool box? (Read 191 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: What's in your tool box?
Reply #15 - 09/20/17 at 15:02:31

Whacky no , that's just plain cool

Hmmm I wonder

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/20/17 at 16:32:44

Dave wrote on 09/20/17 at 13:08:00:
Yep....some guys are just wacky!

Trailer, trials motorcycle.....mountain bike!
-------------------------------

The seat on that MTB...my thingy is numb just looking at it!!!  

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #17 - 09/20/17 at 17:16:20

I carry with me:

- cell phone
- credit card

If someone can't bring my truck to me after I call them, then my credit card will get me home.  In the last 30 years I've had two on road break downs. Both times I was rescued via my pick-up truck.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/20/17 at 17:59:52

Now that I am an old timer and don't ride more than an hour away from home my most important tools are a cell phone and a business card for a local business called Motorcycle Rescue.  They have a late model pickup truck, a covered trailer and ramps.

But in the old days riding British twins a roll of electrical tape was essential.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #19 - 09/21/17 at 01:12:34

Ah, yeah! I meant to include electrical tape ... and a couple of fuses.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #20 - 09/21/17 at 06:38:36

the tool roll in my Ducati has almost all the tools to rebuild the whole bike  Wink
The Enfield has a screwdriver pliers and a couple spanners.
the savage just has a box of matches.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #21 - 09/21/17 at 06:47:28

gizzo wrote on 09/21/17 at 06:38:36:
the tool roll in my Ducati has almost all the tools to rebuild the whole bike  Wink
The Enfield has a screwdriver pliers and a couple spanners.
the savage just has a box of matches.

lol

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 09/21/17 at 06:52:00

Ruttly wrote on 09/20/17 at 12:30:42:
Years ago I rode everywhere on my SR500 , but now I'm lucky to get a 2 or 3 hour ride maybe once or twice a month. I would love to do a weekend ride , I rarely get much time off.

You need to retire dude !

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/21/17 at 07:10:12

LANCER wrote on 09/21/17 at 06:52:00:
Years ago I rode everywhere on my SR500 , but now I'm lucky to get a 2 or 3 hour ride maybe once or twice a month. I would love to do a weekend ride , I rarely get much time off.

--------------------------

Or ride to work.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #24 - 09/21/17 at 07:17:51

ohiomoto wrote on 09/21/17 at 07:10:12:
LANCER wrote on 09/21/17 at 06:52:00:

--------------------------

Or ride to work.

And go the long way.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #25 - 09/21/17 at 07:31:43

Yeah, I forgot to mention fuses!  Good catch.  

On my bike, I actually have the spare main fuse taped to the fuse box so it's always right where I need it.

Another thing to remember is a SPARE KEY!  On both of my bikes, I have a spare key securely taped to the inside bottom of the tail light housing. No one ever knows it is there, but if you need it all you have to do is remove the two phillips screws and you're saved. I also do the same on my vehicles, but usually have the key electrical taped to a wiring harness under the rear bumper where you never see it under the electrical tape, but know it's there. Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #26 - 09/21/17 at 08:33:03

For those of you carrying tools kits, how many times have they gotten you out of trouble? Like I mentioned I've had two failures over the years; both battery related.

The first was a Suzuki GSX1100F, 20 miles from home, circa 1997. Battery died while riding. Called wife. She drove me to Walmart and I purchased a battery. Tool required, 10mm socket.

Second was my DRZ Street Tracker, 1 mile from home, this summer (during my test ride period so I was never more then a mile from home). Called son, he picked me (and bike) up. Problem was a bad R/R, so no tool I would have carried would have fixed the problem on location.

Tool kits are great if you have a bike that has a known problem - so you can carry a specific tool or tools to make the repair. But to try and anticipate every possible repair or carry enough tools just in case seems like a waste of limited storage space and unnecessary weight to the bike.

My bikes don't break down (and all are custom, so they should). Am I just lucky or am I properly maintaining them? If your bike is always experiencing trouble that you have to carry 10 pounds of tools, you need to wonder if you are unlucky or are you NOT properly maintain the machine.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 09/21/17 at 09:08:23

Several times, but when several people get together for a ride, chances are one will have a problem.
Loose mirror
loose handlebar clamp to riser bolt
Broken shock
bad rectifier
carb adjustments/cleaning/rejeting
busted header (HD)
bent this or that

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 09/21/17 at 09:11:30

Gary.....same for me - both times was battery related.

On the Savage, my wife and I were going to dinner on a Friday night.  We stopped for fuel on the way, the bike would not re-start.  I got a jump from a car and rode the bike home - we took the car out to dinner.  The battery was only 3 weeks old, I took it back and got a replacement.

On the Honda ST1100 I was still using the OEM 13 year old battery, and it never showed any signs of being weak.  I rode up to the hardware store and shopped, rode down the street to get fuel - and the bike would not restart....the battery didn't even have enough power to run the neutral light.  I got a jump from a car.....I took the long way home so the battery would charge - when I shut it off at home the battery was dead, and it would not take a charge.

So......I now carry motorcycle sized jumper cables on the Honda!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 09/21/17 at 10:09:08

I lost a master link on my 71 Triumph one night about an hour from home.  I hid it in the woods, had to ride b!tch on the back of my friends 883...and I'm 6'3"!!...then went back to get it with my truck later that night.

The only other time I was stranded was when I left the key on my bike last summer at my son's baseball game.  Battery died.  Had my wife bring me the stock battery and a few tools to fix it.

So I'm with Gary on this one.  The only thing I need to carry is a masterlink and a battery!  Wait, my bike has a belt.  Just need a spare battery in my tool kit then.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:21:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › What's in your tool box?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.