How long does it take ---- 5min -10min
How long does it take ---- 10min - 20min
How long does it take ---- more than 20 min
You need to vote twice, once for the number of
updates and once again for time updates take

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 09/18/17 at 15:28:52 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Collecting real data on Win 10 (lately, that is) (Read 68 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Collecting real data on Win 10 (lately, that is)
09/18/17 at 12:46:40

There is a poll attached to this where I am collecting list member data on MS "wait for the update" on startup/shutdown.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Collecting real data on Win 10 (lately, that i
Reply #1 - 09/18/17 at 12:58:51

So, we got list members on a variety of equipment who are now running Win 10.   Some are native Win 10, some came from Win 7 and some came from Win 8.

Microsoft claims to have improved the nightly update stuff -- however user forums are rife with people complaining it takes as much or more time to keep up with their machine as Win 7 did.

Enter your numbers in the poll and write a quick post if you have something to say pro or con.

=================================

I just went through a 1 hour 20 minute Win 10 update exercise with four required reboots == which is why I am asking.   I can't believe this is normal for the "new and improved" Win 10.

Tongue

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 09/18/17 at 16:13:29

The number of required reboots was improved. Now it takes 4!  Grin Grin

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/18/17 at 18:34:26

I've had Win 10 since it was first released and minor updates proceed without even being noticed.  I've experienced only two or three major updates during that entire period and they each required two reboots.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/19/17 at 05:00:57

I am beginning to think that since I use my main linux box in Win 10 mode only very very rarely that my larger Win 10 updates are "serially" stacking up on me, with each one requiring 2 reboots each and that Win 10 is only able to proceed by loading them one at a time in order.

« Last Edit: 09/19/17 at 06:50:42 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/19/17 at 05:55:48

I'm more of a Linux and Mac guy but I have no issues with Windows 10.  My machine at work is on Win 10.  I believe I just upgraded Win 7, but I don't remember.  We recently installed Windows 10 on two machines here also.  Other than the initial updates on the fresh install, we never get the "Waiting for Updates".   Our systems generally run well except for one of our developers who installs everything under the sun and runs what seems like 25 virtual machines at a time on his box.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/19/17 at 07:12:46

Linux Mint 18.3 has begun announcing their new features ...... and since they got burned by someone spoofing their download site (which ran on a web site software, not Linux Mint btw) Linux Mint has now been adopted by two major anti-virus firms as their Linux poster child, with their inevitable overkill excesses carefully buffered by Clem and the Linux boys.

Mint is actually doing this because they have an IMAGE problem since they got their server spoofed.   In a sense, it is likely time this sort of stuff got incorporated as Linux is getting more and more popular as MS edges slowly towards a yearly pay me world.   This means the Ukraine hacker boys are hitting on Linux now more and more.

So, if it is needed, security-wise, Linux Mint 18.3 has it -- in spades.   Tough to spoof, tough to infect, has built in complete machine backup (old style outside media backup like a USB hard drive that is) AND they have the new open source equivalent of GO BACK.

Yep, "Back in Time" is part of Linux Mint 18.3 by default installation.   Snapshots are taken automatically (you get some granulation control here) and it operates dirt easy.   If something goes awry you can kick it back one notch or two or three or four until whatever happened goes away.

Actually, it is likely still simpler, quicker and easier to just put your distro disc back in and wipe the whole thing, re-install and recover your machine that way.   But some people do have a LOT of time invested in setting up and saving games and with MS games partitioning and shared drives and such like stuff that make trying the "Back in Time" route first a good thing to try out first when trouble comes.

« Last Edit: 09/19/17 at 10:13:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/19/17 at 09:36:16

Oldfeller wrote Quote:
I am beginning to think that since I use my main linux box in Win 10 mode only very very rarely that my larger Win 10 updates are "serially" stacking up on me, with each one requiring 2 reboots each and that Win 10 is only able to proceed by loading them one at a time in order.

I think Oldfeller nailed it with that explanation.  I have a friend who has difficulty with it but only uses his Windows 10 computer infrequently.  An IT professional told me to set it up to allow the automatic updates (default setting I think) and forget about it.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 09/19/17 at 12:12:49

Down in illiteracy land, I've disabled the Windows update system as far as I'm aware. I still get reminders saying updates are available but I ignore them, still on Windows 7.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:34:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Collecting real data on Win 10 (lately, that is)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.