Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Opinions on riding a savage after a 'high' hp bike (Read 817 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Opinions on riding a savage after a 'high' hp
Reply #30 - 09/20/17 at 02:21:46

jcstokes wrote on 09/19/17 at 20:35:52:
Stock bikes in good nick appear to top out in 86-92mph range.

I reckon you're right on that one .... as long as the carb is set up right. After I re-jetted and removed the throttle restrictor (Australia) top speed was 93 mph on a straight run on a still day  Smiley

I maybe could have got a bit more or of her, but I ran out of road.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 09/21/17 at 04:08:47

I figured out how to use the Gearing Commander.  I thought I needed to plug in the primary drive ratio, gear ratios, final drive, tire circumference, etc. - turns out you can enter your bike model and it will fill in the blanks, then you can change them as you wish!
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

When I got my 101.1 mph my bike, it had the stock gearing.  The 101.1 mph would have been at 6,392 rpm....the bike just felt like it was running out of breath.  With the current gearing I can reach the same speed at 6,079 rpm in 4th gear....maybe it can go a little faster with less rpm?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #32 - 09/21/17 at 05:01:55

dontwannapickle wrote on 09/19/17 at 11:43:37:
I had a Savage for a year or so.  I also have 85k miles on a Yamaha sportbike that was their racer in the mid-90s, but was replaced as their racer by the R6.  I've raised the bars an inch on it. Although it has a 13k+ redline, mine rarely revs above 4.5K till I get over 65. Gets 63mpg!

I didn't miss HP on the Savage. It pulls fine at all legal speeds, even wiff Shorty on back. I DID miss, terribly, the great, adjustable suspension and better riding position of the ThunderCat.

I had to remember to avoid a certain lane on the local I-state with a groove scratched into it by something that had dragged there, or the front would start shaking at 70mph. The forks are terrible! And forget about two-finger braking.

Those flimsy forks without much option for improvement, the wooden brakes, (correctable using parts from good bikes, the T-cat for irony), and the terrible riding position (which is subjective, I suppose) were why I couldn't enjoy my Savage.

IMO, Savages are fine for sub-55 mph, sub-five-foot-six societies, which IS what they were designed for, afterall.

Ive had my `03 Thunder Kitty for just at 2 weeks now and only put close to 250 miles on her so far but I am completely in love!

I had an `82 XJ1100 years ago and the 600r just feels like it has all the giddy up and power of the Maxim and then some... half the weight but still amazingly solid, and twice as responsive.

I'm a pretty lightweight guy. I average 165lbs most of the year. Also a little tall at 6'3". The seat on my Savage could use some adjustment by way of the riser mod, and a set of 5-6 inch forward controls... and possibly a handlebar adjustment. Beyond that I feel like it could be a comfortable bike for longer rides. Night and day differences between any of the bigger (more powerful) bikes I have ridden. Everything seems to happen at a much more leisured pace on the Savage. My Savage was perfectly happy scooting me down the road at 80+mph for a solid 30 miles with no breathers before something let loose. So they can run up the needle on the speedo pretty easy... just dont push them for too long at a stretch.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #33 - 09/21/17 at 05:56:59

Ruttly wrote on 09/18/17 at 12:16:17:
Dave , Hope you know now it's my next benchmark in life to beat your 101.1 mph by at least a few clicks. 105 would be awesome, my old SR500 would pull 108 with factory speedo , the tracker now has a GPS speedo and is getting 18/51 gearing. And that extra lightened flywheel. Records are meant to be broken  Cool

What did you do to the engine to make it capable of 108 indicated ?
I bought a new '78 SR500 and it would barely break 80+ in stock form.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #34 - 09/21/17 at 06:09:54

Ruttly wrote on 09/19/17 at 19:57:37:
Lancer , Does a DR top end fit the LS ? Or just the head ? Bore & stroke the same ? After that it's the weight of crank assembly, compression ratio,
Size of valves & cam.
Will the engine bolt in to the LS ?
46 H/P stock , Cool
Maybe that's the motor I need for my Yamazuki project !

A few years back I got a DR650 head and cylinder so I could compare the two. This is for model years 1990-1995.

You cannot take the top end of the DR and put it on the Savage bottom end, there are slight differences in the bolt on areas, and the same with the DR head, it will not go on our cylinder.

The valves, springs, and rocker arms are the same as I remember.

The stock DR piston is 95 mm and the Wiseco pistons for the '90-95 model years work for the Savage with a bore/hone.  That is why I had Wiseco work up the 94mm size for us.  The problem is that it must be purchased in a lot of 12 of more since it is a Special Order.

The camshaft is the very same cam core as ours, just with different lift/duration.  It can be swapped directly into our engine but do to the crazy exhaust ports we have I have some doubts that the Savage engine can effectively use all of that lift and duration.  The gear on the camshaft is not the same as ours, it is larger as is the cam chain.

Will the DR bolt in to our frame ?  If you change the motor mounts it should.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 09/21/17 at 07:29:29

Lancer:

A DR650 engine transplant is possible - they also made a DR750 & DR800!

It would be a big project.....motor mounts, exhaust, intake would all have to be made to work.  I also don't know about the sprocket alignment (both horizontal and vertical).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #36 - 09/21/17 at 07:43:23

Dave wrote on 09/21/17 at 07:29:29:
Lancer:

A DR650 engine transplant is possible - they also made a DR750 & DR800!

It would be a big project.....motor mounts, exhaust, intake would all have to be made to work.  I also don't know about the sprocket alignment (both horizontal and vertical).

I would love to come across a DR750/800, as in barn find; for just a few $$ to get it our of their way !   Grin Cool

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 09/21/17 at 09:53:31

I'm not big on those big DR's.  Wink

http://www.drbig.info/

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #38 - 09/21/17 at 19:15:16

Hey, you guys got me thinking. I have a 2000 Kaw.  W-650.  This bike went under water during Hurricane Irene a few years back.  Now it is a paperweight. Engine is one lump just seized , with no moving parts. Salt water went into the exhaust, and was held in the engine by the air filter, holding salt in the engine.  How about the Savage engine in a W-650 frame ?  Would be like a old Triumph single.  I'll get out the tape measure tomorrow. I'm excited !

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #39 - 09/22/17 at 03:12:12

Maybe, our engine is pretty tall.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 09/22/17 at 10:24:26

Hotrod, I have a W I'd consider selling.
I Have the title, but an idiot wrote on it before I got it transferred.
I could probably get tags on it and ride it, but the hassle is a little bit more than I'm wanting. I'm in East Texas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #41 - 09/22/17 at 13:15:46

Can't .  I'm in N.C. Have no money and too many projects.  1977 Moto Guzzi Covvert , 2011 HD 48, and 2 savage's.  The w-650 was a fine bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #42 - 09/22/17 at 14:11:18

Okay, it's here if you hit the lottery.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #43 - 09/22/17 at 20:46:56

LANCER wrote on 09/21/17 at 05:56:59:
Ruttly wrote on 09/18/17 at 12:16:17:
Dave , Hope you know now it's my next benchmark in life to beat your 101.1 mph by at least a few clicks. 105 would be awesome, my old SR500 would pull 108 with factory speedo , the tracker now has a GPS speedo and is getting 18/51 gearing. And that extra lightened flywheel. Records are meant to be broken  Cool

What did you do to the engine to make it capable of 108 indicated ?
I bought a new '78 SR500 and it would barely break 80+ in stock form.

Lancer , I employ all the same techniques to every cycle engine I build. Most want the biggest carb, big carbs are for extreme/racing engine, the right size carb for the mods of the engine is paramount for the SR 38 or 40 is perfect for racing. In a lighter modded engine the VM36 creates more air speed into engine. Oh crap I forgot who I was talking to(carb guru). Any ways I build engines that breathe,that SR had a 1 over wiesco 10.5-1 , cylinder head ported by me,a reground cam just a Little more lift & duration than stock,like the Webcam std grind for the LS,what I put in the tracker. A vm36 with heat shield and a White Bros header with supertrapp .
That was 108 as indicated at night cool sea level all tucked in like a flat tracker with stock gearing. About a 13 mph faster than a stockers advertised top speed & 500 rpm or less from valve float event, the right carb for the mods is paramount !!!
My 0 to 60 & 1/4 mile will suffer but the tracker may be just as fast with the 18/51 gears. My current SR has a somewhat more extreme cam and other goodies but I never finished timing & jetting so maybe this winter she might get some attention , it should pull 110 mph if I get it right.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #44 - 09/22/17 at 21:27:53

That was a long time ago when I only weighed 125/130 lbs !
Power to weight ratio was much better back then  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:23:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Opinions on riding a savage after a 'high' hp bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.