Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Opinions on riding a savage after a 'high' hp bike (Read 817 times)
cygnet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Opinions on riding a savage after a 'high' hp
Reply #15 - 09/18/17 at 10:45:38

The S40 is a great bike lots of torque but low on HP. I came off road bikes and miss them when I want to go on the highway, I did the front Kaw pulley mod and that really made a huge difference. So to sum it up the S40 is great around town, great on the back twisties, not so good on the super slab.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 09/18/17 at 12:16:17

Dave , Hope you know now it's my next benchmark in life to beat your 101.1 mph by at least a few clicks. 105 would be awesome, my old SR500 would pull 108 with factory speedo , the tracker now has a GPS speedo and is getting 18/51 gearing. And that extra lightened flywheel. Records are meant to be broken  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Iconkj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/18/17 at 12:56:13

ohiomoto wrote on 09/18/17 at 08:52:31:
Iconkj wrote on 09/18/17 at 05:54:36:
If i drive to my work it's a 10min ride...
-------------------------------

You need to move farther away from work and you'll ride more. Smiley

True that.... but sometimes i have to ride further in order to do my job so that's good no?  Cheesy

IP Logged
Iconkj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/18/17 at 12:59:54

Thanks for all the replies so far! Great forum full with enthousiasts. You guys get me excited (you know what i mean)

For the 400 dollar i think i did a good deal. When it's time to go and get the bike, and i start tinkering with it, i will open a thread here. Plan right from the start: solo seat, other muffler, other handlebar, other air filter, mini battery and put away all the electrics! Can't wait! Grin

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #19 - 09/18/17 at 13:08:27

ohiomoto wrote on 09/18/17 at 10:43:58:
Awesome!  I wasn't sure our bikes had it in'em.   Smiley

They don't, Dave's bike is modified.

BTW, I've taken plenty of bikes in excess of 150 mph, but I don't think I'd take my cafe racer to 100. It becomes a real light dance partner.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 09/18/17 at 14:44:31

Ruttly wrote on 09/18/17 at 12:16:17:
Dave , Hope you know now it's my next benchmark in life to beat your 101.1 mph by at least a few clicks. 105 would be awesome.......Records are meant to be broken  Cool

Bring it on! Smiley A little friendly competition never hurt anybody.

I was out riding on a day that it just seemed right to try, there was little wind, it wasn't too hot....traffic was light and I chose a stretch of a limited access road with no intersections or driveways, and there wasn't anyplace for the LEO to hide.  I just had to find out if my bike could do the "ton".  It gets to 80 pretty quickly, 90 took a while - that last bit to 100 seemed to take a very long time.....I don't think it had very much left in it.  With a gearing change, a cam change, and maybe some tweaking of jets, and maybe a hill and wind in my favor......and I might be able to do better someday.
A 30 mph tailwind sure would have made things easier). Roll Eyes

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #21 - 09/18/17 at 15:17:33

If I'm right cause I know that Ryca speedo was wrong I may have already done the ton or came dang close. With the new seat & paint job it will for sure do the ton. Time will tell , no way to fudge a GPS speedo ! And 0 to 60 then the 1/4 mile. I'm a gunnin for you Dave !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #22 - 09/19/17 at 11:43:37

I had a Savage for a year or so.  I also have 85k miles on a Yamaha sportbike that was their racer in the mid-90s, but was replaced as their racer by the R6.  I've raised the bars an inch on it. Although it has a 13k+ redline, mine rarely revs above 4.5K till I get over 65. Gets 63mpg!

I didn't miss HP on the Savage. It pulls fine at all legal speeds, even wiff Shorty on back. I DID miss, terribly, the great, adjustable suspension and better riding position of the ThunderCat.

I had to remember to avoid a certain lane on the local I-state with a groove scratched into it by something that had dragged there, or the front would start shaking at 70mph. The forks are terrible! And forget about two-finger braking.

Those flimsy forks without much option for improvement, the wooden brakes, (correctable using parts from good bikes, the T-cat for irony), and the terrible riding position (which is subjective, I suppose) were why I couldn't enjoy my Savage.

IMO, Savages are fine for sub-55 mph, sub-five-foot-six societies, which IS what they were designed for, afterall.

'04 Savageless
I don't wanna pickle. I just wanna ride on my motorsickle.
And I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle.
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/19/17 at 11:59:26

I mostly agree with dontwannpickle.  The savage wasn't made for enthusiast.  It isn't much on paper, but it seems to fit many peoples needs just fine as is and the rest of modify them to varying degrees.

For example, I made mine look and fit like a 70s Japanese standard.  It fits my 6'3" frame just fine now.  Yeah, the brakes are weak, but for the size, weight, power of the bike and the speeds I ride, they are fine.  Sure the forks suck too.  I went lowered mine to make them suck even more.  Now they suck just as bad as the shocks, but for the size, weight...they work fine for me.   The motor is a looker but not much of a performer (outside of its toque), but for the size, weight...it works pretty well for my needs. It shifts a bit crude, but the amount of power the motor makes...it's good enough.  

And I just LOVE all the different builds we get with this bike.  It seems to generate a lot of enthusiasm for a bike that wasn't build for enthusiast.  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 09/19/17 at 14:01:36

ohiomoto wrote on 09/18/17 at 10:43:58:
Awesome!  I wasn't sure our bikes had it in'em.   Smiley

Oh but they do indeed.  
A little of this, and a little of that, with a sprinkle of magic stuff, and away it goes !
ZOOM ZOOM

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 09/19/17 at 15:15:24

It takes time & patience & $$$. It will never be a race engine , but there is more power to be had. It's design won't hold up to big H/P like the SR/TT/XT 500s but it's still a night n day difference. Big Fun !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 09/19/17 at 16:40:24

Ruttly wrote on 09/19/17 at 15:15:24:
It takes time & patience & $$$. It will never be a race engine , but there is more power to be had. It's design won't hold up to big H/P like the SR/TT/XT 500s but it's still a night n day difference. Big Fun !

The engine will hold up to the things we can do, it is just that the exhaust port was screwed up to keep power down by Suzuki.  That is the limiting factor.  Remember, a stock DR650 has the same upper half engine as the LS650 (with very slight variations that have nothing to do with power), EXCEPT FOR  THE EXHAUST PORT, and it made 46hp from the factory in 1990-1995.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 09/19/17 at 19:57:37

Lancer , Does a DR top end fit the LS ? Or just the head ? Bore & stroke the same ? After that it's the weight of crank assembly, compression ratio,
Size of valves & cam.
Will the engine bolt in to the LS ?
46 H/P stock , Cool
Maybe that's the motor I need for my Yamazuki project !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #28 - 09/19/17 at 20:35:52

Stock bikes in good nick appear to top out in 86-92mph range.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Iconkj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 09/19/17 at 23:44:32

Thanks guy's. I think i will like the savage.
Since i bought a house i don't have much time or money to ride as much as i wan't to...

My friend sells his suzuki marauder for 1200 dollars but that's (price wise)night and day difference than the 400 dollar for the savage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:33:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Opinions on riding a savage after a 'high' hp bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.