Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear shock upgrade suzuki intruder 800. (Read 128 times)
singleBanger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear shock upgrade suzuki intruder 800.
09/17/17 at 12:05:30

Hi,
I just finished doing the swap out from my stock s40 rear shocks to the suzuki intruder 800 rear shocks . I picked a pair of them off e bay for 40 bucks .  If you decide  to do this modification , there are some things you'll need to do to make sure you don't ruin anything .

First the intruder shocks are so big that you can't just effortsly slide them on . You will need to compress them with  motorcycle spring compressors and then fit them on .  If you don't have any, Tusk makes some really nice ones for 40 bucks online .  You will need to grind down the outside wall of the washers on your bike to make them fit back on with the intruder shocks because they are a tapered fit , just on the top part of the shocks .

After you get the shocks on , you need to get underneath your bike and look near the primary pulley .  The bottom  drive belt guard  will be literally touching your primary pulley . You need to either cut it to make it fit or just take it off .  I just took mine off .
Then the top of the drive belt guard is going to be rubbing on the belt also right where the primary cover and drive belt cover come together. You will need to  mark and take  off the belt cover . Then cut a notch out so that the belt wont  rub on the guard . Or just take the guard off and leave it off . Thats what I did .
A couple more things your belt might have to get adjusted mine became loose . So i loosened my axlenut on my rear tire to adjust my belt .
Last thing right underneath the primary pully there is an engine bolt head that rubs on the belt too. You will need to grind the head until its  low profile or go to a good hardware  store  and try and find a stsinless bolt just like it but with a more low profile head .  I just ground mine down . I'll probably get a new bolt eventually .  I went to lowes and ace hardware today and neither of them carried what i was looking for . And i really wanted to go riding today .
Hopefully this will help someone out so they dont destroy there bike in the process .
Singlebanger

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Rear shock upgrade suzuki intruder 800.
Reply #1 - 09/17/17 at 12:25:55

These so much going wrong in this post I don't know where to begin.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
snels516

Reply #2 - 09/17/17 at 12:29:02

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 09/17/17 at 12:25:55:

I'll begin with the fact that I didn't need to compress my intruder shocks when I put mine on.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/17/17 at 12:31:39

I wonder if getting the rear end lifted up would have helped..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
snels516

Reply #4 - 09/17/17 at 12:34:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/17 at 12:31:39:
I wonder if getting the rear end lifted up would have helped..

Helped me for sure...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 09/17/17 at 16:25:50

Yep, just have to jack the bike until the stocker come off,then jack a little higher until the mounts are the same distance apart as the new ones and slide them on. You can run the belt guard by cutting the top back just enough so that it doesn't strike the top of the pulley cover.when you put on longer shocks the angle of the swing arm moves downward making the distance between the pulleys shorter ,but when you hit a bump the swingarm moves back toward level ,where they are farther apart ,tightening the belt may have been a mistake.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/17/17 at 16:54:39

As others are indicating....you don't compress the shocks - you jack the bike up and see what is not letting the swing arm go down enough to fit the longer shocks.  The mount for the lower belt guard bumps into the aluminum pulley cover on the engine, etc.  With a stock muffler the swing arm bolt hits the muffler, etc.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 09/18/17 at 06:51:40

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 09/17/17 at 12:25:55:

I just didn't have the band width to properly respond to this yesterday.

First and foremost, the Intruder shocks are NOT an upgrade, they are just longer (I think the spring rate may be higher, and if you're a big feller that would be a benefit) than the S40 shocks. They employ the same cheap twin-tube design as the S40 shocks. In short, they are garbage.

Secondly, as others pointed out, you simply need to jack the rear of the bike up to the point where the longer shocks slide into position.

Lastly, I have no idea why you needed to make so many modifications to the hardware. I'm concerned that you may have compromised the integrity of the nuts and bolts.

In short your "how-to" is really a "what not to do".

But welcome to the forums and in the future feel free to ask questions before cutting in to bolts.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/18/17 at 08:20:17

Do these just raise the back end a few inches?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 09/18/17 at 09:10:34

They do. They are have a higher rate spring too. If you experience frequent full-travel compression of the S40 shocks these would help. But they will not improve the ride quality. Ride quality comes from motion control (aka damping). The compression and rebound damping is the same as the S40.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:44:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear shock upgrade suzuki intruder 800.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.