Send Topic Print
Replacement Tires (Read 183 times)
DavidV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Replacement Tires
09/12/17 at 17:46:30

I read Dave's tire summary from back in November of 2015. I'm moving towards getting a set of the Pirelli MT-66's. I understand that I will need to compromise on the rear tire size. If I go up to the 140/90 - 15 it will be a 70H rather than a 67H. Is that a big deal? Also, that tire is a "tubeless" model. Any problem stuffing a tube in a tubeless tire? I understand spoked wheels require tubes. The front tire size matches but it will be a 57S rather than a 57H. Do you guys replace the tubes as a matter of practice when changing tires or only if the existing one looks bad? Thanks. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Replacement Tires
Reply #1 - 09/12/17 at 18:00:51

ny problem stuffing a tube in a tubeless tire?
Nope..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 09/12/17 at 18:55:27

I'm not a tire expert but I don't think you'll find a new tire that doesn't say " tubeless " on the side,and fit our bikes also , but our bikes do require the use of tubes.the "S" ,"H", "V"or "Z" are speed ratings ,off 112 ,130, 149+ and168+  all of these would be ok for our bikes(V & Z being overkill) ,but I would favor the H rating myself ,for  safety. but experts say BOTH tires on your bike, should have the SAME rating .I don't think you have to use new tubes each time but again ,it might be better for safety,and they aren't very pricey .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 09/12/17 at 19:32:50

experts say BOTH tires on your bike, should have the SAME rating

I don't unnerstand howcum.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #4 - 09/12/17 at 20:26:54

I replace the tube every second tire.  It usually takes me a little over one season to wear out the back.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 09/12/17 at 20:48:33

Tubes $13, rim tape$3, Hospital$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
New tubes every time! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/13/17 at 02:43:43

zipidachimp wrote on 09/12/17 at 20:48:33:

For me this depends on how quickly you wear out your tires.  If you need a new tire every 2 years.....I have no problem using a tube a second or third time as long as the rubber is good and there is no evident wear or creases.  If it takes you 10 years to wear out a tire (or just replace them because they are old and hard).....then a new tube and rim tape are a good idea with each tire.

In the "67H" vs. the "70H", as Batman stated the letter is the speed rating.  The two digit number is the load rating, and the larger tire size has a higher load rating (makes sense that the larger tire can support more weight).

Tire_Load_Rating.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 09/13/17 at 02:56:52

Seeing as this tyre is not mentioned in any of the recommended tyre threads I'd like to say that we are finding the Metzler ME880 150/80 and corresponding front tyre to be an absolute joy to ride.

The gf has been scraping her boots around corners and I can't keep up!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1496392492

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 09/13/17 at 14:59:00

JOG ,It's just something I read , that different materials used in the cores of the tires for the different speed ratings  have a tendency to upset handing.

IP Logged
DavidV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/13/17 at 19:39:57

This is great information. Thanks, guys for helping me unravel all the jargon. So the speed rating (letter) should match front and back but the load index (number) can be different front to back as long as it is at least as high as the OEM tires, 57 and 67 respectively?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/13/17 at 22:46:23

batman wrote on 09/13/17 at 14:59:00:
JOG ,It's just something I read , that different materials used in the cores of the tires for the different speed ratings  have a tendency to upset handing.

Okay, thanks.
I'd need an engineer and a six pack to have a chance of understanding.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 09/13/17 at 22:49:15

Correct. speed rating should match front and back

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 09/14/17 at 03:55:40

batman wrote on 09/13/17 at 22:49:15:
Correct. speed rating should match front and back

I don't believe there is any issue with mixing speed ratings - all that happens is that you should not drive faster than the lowest speed rating.  Since most tires that are suitable for the Savage are H (130 mph) or V (149 mph) rated - there really isn't any reason to worry about the speed rating.  The S rated (112 mph) front tire that the OP listed is still well over the speeds that the Savage can achieve!

Here is what "Discount Tire" says on their webpage:

Speed ratings can affect the way you drive. To maintain your vehicle's original speed capability, you need to equip it with tires that meet or exceed the original equipment tire's speed rating. Mixing tires of different speed ratings can reduce your maximum safe speed. If you equip your vehicle with tires of different speed ratings, the lowest speed rating will determine your vehicle's maximum speed of which the tires can safely handle. Be aware of your original equipment tire's speed rating to avoid this reduction.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/speed-rating

I am not all that keen on having different brands or models of tires on the front/rear - but folks do it all the time as the rear generally wears out first and they may not install the same brand/model of tire when they get a replacement.  If you are replacing both tires - get the same brand and model (the thread on new tires only lists tire "sets", and it does not include tires that can't be purchased in the same brand/model for the front/rear).  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #13 - 09/14/17 at 09:31:45

zipidachimp wrote on 09/12/17 at 20:48:33:

I don't know why you think that you would end up in the hospital due to a flat tire?  I have had a few flats and they were not as dramatic as you would think.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 09/14/17 at 10:19:42

good tires good brakes that's most important to me. If the bike won't start it can't kill you.I've always run matched tires "h" rated and if they look like they will last 10,000 miles I change them a bit earlier .to each his own but in 38 years of riding.I've never had a flat .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:36:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacement Tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.