Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trip planning -- year 2018 (Read 322 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Trip planning -- year 2018
Reply #15 - 09/13/17 at 18:54:27

My vote is for Denver because we may add to the group. There's nobody in in the black hills.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 09/13/17 at 21:10:42

lancer ,  can I over-night at you place on the way to Denver ?   Smiley

https://www.nps.gov/band/planyourvisit/juniper-family-campground.htm

might be an overnight spot on the way there . ?

--------------------------------------------------------

http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/custer/campgrounds/sylvan-lake/defaul...
lots of camping in the "Black Hills"

I can see 3 days min. for me to get to the black hills .

4 day to ride the area , and 3 days back

What the chance of a 10 day stretch of no rain ?    

I'm bring a rain suit or a truck ?  Undecided

« Last Edit: 09/13/17 at 22:17:20 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 09/13/17 at 23:27:08

How is this for an idea that is good for 3 bikers.  (Not me btw, I will be recovering from prostate surgery and won't be up for a huge huge ride like this)

Two bikers (Dave and one other) arrive at MM's on their bikes.  They load up bikes on MM's truck and and either pull MM's trailer with the extra bike or else get a bit clever loading the bikes two forwards and one backwards in the bed of the full sized pickup truck.    Lancer and Verslagen know the ins and outs of this trick as they do it fairly often.

3 people can ride the seat of a full sized pickup truck OK, not wonderful but OK.    Split the gas and the driving on the truck, it becomes more do-able.

Next advantage, 24 hour driving in 4 hour shifts keeps an alert fresh driver behind the wheel and gets you there in 2 days, easy.

It is a ball buster of a trip you are talking about and I won't be going since I will have just gotten my balls professionally busted ......

« Last Edit: 09/14/17 at 04:55:42 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 09/14/17 at 05:07:03

I had prostate surgery on 2000 and needed 3 months before I could ride again at all, but then they had split my stomach from my belly button down to my ... well it was as far as they could go down.  I had a whole string of stainless staples that were at least an inch wide, about 20 of them.  
Mega piercings !

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 09/15/17 at 13:17:54

Well, I'll learn more after the surgery on Oct 17th.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #20 - 09/15/17 at 15:33:24

Denver or Black Hills you can pretty much count me in barring anything crazy happening.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #21 - 09/15/17 at 15:43:56

Denver or Black Hills suits me fine... Unless I am in Europe at that time!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 09/15/17 at 18:38:33

MMRanch wrote on 09/13/17 at 21:10:42:
lancer ,  can I over-night at you place on the way to Denver ?   Smiley

Of course you can...silly question !

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #23 - 09/15/17 at 20:07:16

Wild HOGS !    Yeee-Hhaaa

I'm sure SpringMan is bring a Savage , I'm bringing a Savage  ,

My Van only gets about 15 mpg when pulling the two bike trailer  ,  truck might get 18 mpg (20mpg , if I play Feather-Foot) .

I'm good for 500 miles (super-slab) or 400 miles (state-roads).  on my Savage.   My house to Lancer's was one-day and my house to SpringMan's was one day --- but those were long days .

We bring a Bike to Trailer week ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 09/16/17 at 04:30:24

I don't yet know the answer to my participation.  Looking at Mapquest it is a 17 hour trip along a northern route for me.......MM has a more southern route and it takes him 19 hours - our paths don't cross until we get to Omaha.  It takes me 7 hours minimum to get to MM's house.....so unless we somehow reroute and meet somewhere between the northern and southern routes....I don't see how we could travel together.  I would be bringing the Honda NT700 bike for a trip like this, I probably would put it on a trailer to travel to South Dakota,  and it is possible the wife wouldn't let me make a trip like this without bringing her.

I can get away for long weekend trips easily next year - trips of 7-10 days are a different story.  My wife and I have not been on a long vacation in 10 years - it is time for us to do a trip together.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 09/16/17 at 09:56:35

Dave, instead of a SUPER MEGATRIP (leave those things to MM who jest loves them) how about a trip all the way up the Blue Ridge Parkway to that steam tech park you found just past the end of it?

Or to some other focal point trip of similar (relatively fewer) days?

The trip all the way up the Blue Ridge is 2-3 leisurely days, likely with a hotel stay near the steam museum.

If you were going to take your wife, this trip would be less stressful.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 09/16/17 at 18:41:26

After my son get to working a regular job , then the wife will be a lot more receptive to putting the bike in the back of the truck and going places .   The good news is he is out of Collage now ... it will be a change in lifestyle when son goes to work !

So , if my wife is going there is a high percent chance the tent camping days will end .   Sad
But If we are biking it , then I don't have room for sleeping bags and tent anyway.    Hard luggage on the guzzi and budget-motels might get the wife on a 3 day bike ride.  
Next year could be a game changer either way !    Roll Eyes

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 09/17/17 at 07:34:47

I would like to take the gang to Suches, GA next year - it could be a "guys" or "couples" trip.  I will be towing my bike there - so the car would be available if the wives wanted to go shopping/hiking and avoid climbing on the bikes a time or two.  The Two Wheels of Suches has nice cabins, or you can camp.  If I take the wife it will be the Honda, if I go alone and the weather is good the Savage Cafe' bike will go.  It could also be designed as a trip that begins at the Kick Stand Lodge, and we could travel down to Suches and ride around the area, take minimal supplies and stay in a cabin, then ride back to the Kick Stand the next day.

Riding with the wives will change the character of our riding, as none of us own a bike with the "Big Old Comfy Couch" back seat like the Harley's and Goldwings have.  The back seats on our bikes are far less comfortable than the front seat - the padding is very thin and the footpegs are high......the passenger is not treated nearly as well as the operator.  When my wife goes for the ride - the motorcycle serves as the transportation vehicle between sight seeing, shopping and hiking venues - the motorcycle is not the extended 12 hours of twisties that I find satisfying!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 09/21/17 at 17:56:30

I'm not surprised, stuff changes all the time.

What we consider a "good trip" is changing as well.   A good trip used to be ripping up the mountains, then it became ripping up the sweepers, now it is headed towards "Wife on the back, cruising the pretty stuff".

If you told me MM was gonna be a Guzzi man, I'd have laughed out loud.   Me, a Barcalounger boy?  You gotta be joking, right?

Like I said, I talked with the folks at Kickstand and I saw what my future might become, and it was scarey, believe me.   Some of those couples go from known campground to known campground in a seasonal sort of migration pattern, doing maybe 300 miles on a travel day.   And they travel in groups, too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 09/21/17 at 18:39:12

Oldfeller:

Unfortunately......Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.  Every one of us have to face the fact that we will not be able to ride a motorcycle forever.  Some folks have to quite very early in life - others can ride well into their senior years.  We will hopefully recognize when it is no longer safe to ride quickly......safe to ride for extended periods......or safe to ride at all!  Downsizing may help extend the riding period for some - for others it will be a trike!  

I started coming to the group rides in 2012, and we have lost 4 regular members on the group ride in that time (I don't think it is my fault).  They had health problems, lost interest in the Savage, etc.  That first year we had BigZuk, Serenity, Oldfeller, MMRanch, Lancer, AlfromNH, me....and I think I am missing somebody(s).  BigZuk, Serenity and Al don't come anymore, and we recently lost old_rider.  We have a lot of folks that would love to come and chase us around the mountains - but at this point in their lives they have family and work commitments that just don't allow them to travel away from home for an extended period.

Thankfully I am still healthy and I really like burning up the curves on the Savage - I don't go fast on the straights and do intense braking as much as I used to - but I sure do enjoy riding tight curves in a manner that guarantees short tire life!  I am ready for an all day ride whenever I get the chance.  I don't know how many years of riding (or living) I have in my future - I intend to get a lot of it done in the coming years.

This year I was not able to ride nearly as much as I wanted to and I was seldom able to take more than an occasional ride around home.  My workload "pre-retirement" has been intense, and we have had one of the wettest summers I can remember. Next year I plan on riding at least 1 weekend a month - and now and then I will bring the wife so that we can spend time together in our retirement years.  The NT700 rides great double - but I do limit the hours I make my wife spend in the saddle as the back seat is not as comfortable as the front one.  I just can't find a medium size sport touring bike that has a cushy passenger seat - the BMW K1200 & K1600 have great looking back seat - but the bikes just appear to darn big for me to ride.

The only thing that is likely to keep me from riding.....is rain!  I hate riding in the rain!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:27:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Trip planning -- year 2018

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.