Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sputtering and dying when starting (Read 128 times)
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sputtering and dying when starting
09/09/17 at 11:17:49

Hi forum, I'm having some issues with my Savage. I had to re-charge the battery and I changed the spark plug. I had also changed the petcock a while ago. Now the bike starts and I let it seat on iddle for a couple of minutes, I don't give it more gas or touch anything, just seating, it goes strong for a couple of minutes and then it starts sputtering and it eventually dies. It all happens in the 2-5 minutes range. Right now I'm planning to empty the tank and fill it with fresh gas (as the one in there has been sitting for a while), But I was wondering what else could cause it? Any suggestions on what I should check?

Thanks,

Marc

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Sputtering and dying when starting
Reply #1 - 09/09/17 at 13:48:19

Has it ever run okay since you had it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/09/17 at 14:09:28

Yes, it had been running ok last year, and this summer has been sputtering now and then, but it would had not stop. When it looked like it was going to choke, I would give it some gas and it would be ok again. Now giving it gas just kills it quicker

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 09/09/17 at 16:27:51

The gas in the carburetor gunked up the jets.
If you have never had the carb apart the odds of winning with it still mounted is slim.
The easiest, certainly safest, approach is remove the carb, get it on the bench and get the bowl off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/10/17 at 06:20:55

I did not want to remove the carbs Cheesy it would be my first time, but at least is nothing terribly wrong, right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/10/17 at 06:42:10

It's tedious, not technically difficult.
Tools are cheap.  

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #6 - 09/10/17 at 14:03:26

marccarrion wrote on 09/10/17 at 06:20:55:
I did not want to remove the carbs Cheesy it would be my first time, but at least is nothing terribly wrong, right?

I removed my carb for the first time a few months ago. I had no previous experience. I had put it off too. The key is to do a lot of searching on this forum, there are lots of conversations about it. As JOG said, it's not difficult - but there are a few tips that really help.

I didn't fully disassemble mine. Just removed the jets and slider for replacing/cleaning. I left the float in place.

The best advice is to plan a time and place to do it. Don't try to hurry. Don't take shortcuts - if a screw is stuck, don't try to force it with the wrong tool. I also took photos with my phone at every step as a reference.

First time I was really nervous. Second time was fine. Third time I felt like I knew what I was doing. It's very satisfying for someone with no experience ☺☺

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/08/17 at 10:45:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/17 at 16:27:51:
The gas in the carburetor gunked up the jets.
If you have never had the carb apart the odds of winning with it still mounted is slim.
The easiest, certainly safest, approach is remove the carb, get it on the bench and get the bowl off.

I finally got to it, after fighting with the nuts on the top of the carb, I was able to take it apart. I cleaned it with carb cleaning foam, and put it back together. Nothing looked terribly gunk'd up. I'm going to be re-installing it soon. I hope that fixes it Cheesy

Thanks,
Marc

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/08/17 at 14:09:23

Chemtool, B12, spray.
Make sure the jets are clear and the passages in the carb.
You can't Get too much ventilation or be too careful about keeping this stuff Out of the eyes.
The slide needs to be clean and dry, no fingerprints. Be careful with the diaphragm and orient it correctly.
Putting the carb on and finding out it's not okay will be a bummer.

IP Logged
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/11/17 at 13:22:18

Thanks!

I put it together, and the bike started with no problem, I went for a short ride on the neighborhood (as my state inspection is expired) and it was ok, a little bit of hesitation between second and third gears, but nothing major.

But then I checked other things and noticed the oil is really low, I mean really low. But I filled it less 100 miles ago, so I don't know if I didn't fill it enough or if I'm loosing oil (but I don't see any obvious leak, no oil on the pavement where the bike is parked). So, I'm planning to refill it before I take it for the inspection and longer rides, but I was wondering what can cause a leak without obvious oil outside the bike, and how can I fix that.

Thanks!!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 10/11/17 at 14:24:40

The sight glass will look empty when the bike is on the sidestand,to check the oil the bike needs to be held level.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/16/17 at 13:18:52

You saved me another oil change Smiley, when I tipped it, I saw the line, it's all good. I took it to pass the state inspection, no problem. The bike sounds much better than before Cheesy, now I just need to figure out what is this big spring that was left after I cleaned the carbs... not sure where it goes, but it looks like it is not needed, right?

Thanks everyone!!!

PS: I'm kidding, the spring went where it came from, I had no pieces left after putting it back together Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 22:25:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sputtering and dying when starting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.