Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What you do if you had money, time & skills? (Read 163 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
What you do if you had money, time & skills?
09/09/17 at 00:09:54

I came to motorcycling late ... like a year ago, at age 47. I've come to love riding, learning about bikes (especially cruisers, 'standards' and their variations) ... more especially singles - and making simple mods to my bike. If I had money, time and skills I'd make a bike like the one in the attached photo.

What would you do?

Suzuki-Savage-Bobber-1.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: What you do if you had money, time & skills?
Reply #1 - 09/09/17 at 01:03:43

If our beloved little bikes butt rivet you after a few hours, that one will probably do it in an hour or less.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Re: What you do if you had money, time & skill
Reply #2 - 09/09/17 at 01:28:59

jcstokes wrote on 09/09/17 at 01:03:43:
If our beloved little bikes butt rivet you after a few hours, that one will probably do it in an hour or less.

Hahaha ... that's been my main issue since I got the S40. I have put a lot of thought and time into resolving it ... still working on it  Smiley

If I had enough money for multiple bikes, the one pictured would just be one of them. Probably for having a coffee in town, and back again!

I just love the look of it, as an object  Wink

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #3 - 09/09/17 at 06:04:49

That's a great look. And the Savage lends itself well to the design. Indeed, you're not going to be spending hours in that seat. But then, I spent hours at a time in the saddle of a hardtail '56 FLH, cuz that's all Harley made at the time. It did however have a very well sprung seat.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/09/17 at 06:42:39

I'd build a 652cc 70's style standard and on the cheap! Ha, ha...

Actually, I'd build some sort of board tracker style bike.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 09/09/17 at 07:47:38

DieselBob wrote on 09/09/17 at 06:04:49:
That's a great look. And the Savage lends itself well to the design. Indeed, you're not going to be spending hours in that seat. But then, I spent hours at a time in the saddle of a hardtail '56 FLH, cuz that's all Harley made at the time. It did however have a very well sprung seat.

Hours at a time on a hardtail! - That's impressive! Smiley

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #6 - 09/09/17 at 07:55:33

ohiomoto wrote on 09/09/17 at 06:42:39:
I'd build a 652cc 70's style standard and on the cheap! Ha, ha...

haha ..  Grin Grin

The board trackers look amazing too. They really speak of their era.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 09/09/17 at 10:20:47

I would build a shop and buy the equipment for building bikes.
And finish all my bikes and then build some more. Using ideas & skills I learned over the years so I could put myself on my own list of what I call
"Next Level Builders" someday.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 09/09/17 at 10:33:43

Ruttly wrote on 09/09/17 at 10:20:47:
I would build a shop and buy the equipment for building bikes.
And finish all my bikes and then build some more. Using ideas & skills I learned over the years so I could put myself on my own list of what I call
"Next Level Builders" someday.

Sounds perfect  Wink

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 09/09/17 at 11:26:32

Yeah my list of next level builders grows & grows but my name is nowhere to be found , it's still on the hobbiest list , but it's truely a time & money issue , skills can be learned or faked (having someone else do it) !
In my heart I am a builder , part of a worldwide network of builders.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 09/09/17 at 11:37:19

If I had enough money for multiple bikes, the one pictured would just be one of them. Probably for having a coffee in town, and back again!

[/quote]

Super smooth lines over the front tire up the forks over the bars sweeping down the tank & seat up & over the rear tire/fender. Looks fast just sitting there. Shapes & Lines very nice !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #11 - 09/09/17 at 12:09:19

Ruttly wrote on 09/09/17 at 11:37:19:

Super smooth lines over the front tire up the forks over the bars sweeping down the tank & seat up & over the rear tire/fender. Looks fast just sitting there. Shapes & Lines very nice ! [/quote]

I've been looking at it and trying to think how I would 'improve' it. But, I really can't find anything. I was gonna pick on the chrome head covers, but then you would have to attack the tool box, then the headlight  ...  and that would just leave the forks all shiny on their own!

It reminds me of when I do a rough hand sketch of an idea for a logo or design. Something about the sketch might really work but I decide it needs 'cleaned up' - that never works. Sometimes a thing just works as it is.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 09/09/17 at 12:28:07

I/R , Sometimes it's just about keeping it simple , function before form and it just happens.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #13 - 09/09/17 at 21:30:34

One of my regrets is never learning to 'weld'. I bought a cheap welder a while back, but the garage I rent would need rewiring, and the landlord might regret the rise in power consumption.
Sticking a midsize sportbike engine in a 'feetforward' frame is another object to accomplish! Cool

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #14 - 09/09/17 at 22:53:19

zipidachimp wrote on 09/09/17 at 21:30:34:
One of my regrets is never learning to 'weld'. I bought a cheap welder a while back, but the garage I rent would need rewiring, and the landlord might regret the rise in power consumption.
Sticking a midsize sportbike engine in a 'feetforward' frame is another object to accomplish! Cool

Funny you mention that. I bought a small welder a few weeks ago for the first time, have done a couple small jobs recently ... nothing that depends on the integrity of the welds though. It's very satisfying  Cool

"Sticking a midsize sportbike engine in a 'feetforward' frame ..."

That sounds like the Vulcan 500  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:22:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › What you do if you had money, time & skills?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.