Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Snapped Cylinder Head Cover Bolt (Read 70 times)
NCGibbon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Snapped Cylinder Head Cover Bolt
09/02/17 at 17:18:52

Today I was working on my 600 mile servicing and completed over torqued one of the M6-60 bolts to the point where it broke off inside the head.  

Not knowing what to do, I put it back together and ran it but started to see oil go down the side of my engine and see it is coming from the missing bolt hole.  At this point I feel like I should take the head cover off and try to extract the bolt that is broken off so I can put a new one bolt in place (already ordered one from BikeBandit, the cost of shipping is twice as much as the part itself.

A couple of questions I would like to ask.  
Do you feel like I need to do all that work of taking the head cover off and retrieving the broken bolt?   If I don't done it, what other options do I have to keep oil from coming out?  If I do take off the head cover, do I need to replace the seal on the head cover as well?  If so what stuff do I need to buy?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first bike and I feel like i really messed up here.  Thank you for any advice you can give me.

-B.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Snapped Cylinder Head Cover Bolt
Reply #1 - 09/02/17 at 17:42:18

Just buy the polished stainless Allen bolt kit on eBay and replace them all.
If one broke then you might break another going back together , replace them all. I prefer the allens cause if you use a 4" long Allen socket , when you can see the socket shank twist it's tight enough no torque wrench needed !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/02/17 at 17:58:51

Use feel.
How many times did you turn each bolt?
Did you tighten each bolt the first time the socket went on it?
Go around twice?
Did you use the semiliquid gasket sealer or RTV?

Your decision, fix it or run it leaking.
But if you didn't use a semiliquid gasket carefully applied and  go slowly around the torque pattern three or four times the gap between head and cover will be wider than optimal, decreasing oil pressure in the top end. Go back, fix it right. I had mine off three times. Never messed up a bolt. A 1/4" ratchet is all you need.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #3 - 09/03/17 at 07:40:54

Check McMaster-Carr for your stainless screw replacements. You may have to purchase packets of certain sizes (like 5 per pack) but often cheaper than buying a made-up "kit" that someone else has put together and charge you more than you need to pay.  

As a purchasing agent, I have never had an issue with McMaster-Carr - ever.  And, they have an excellent online catalog service that is easy to use.  Shipped right to your door!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Elmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/15/17 at 23:56:02

Careful with the torque on these bolts.  The aluminum case is very sensitive and will strip.  I stripped out the long bolt as well.  I ended up finding a bolt that was just a bit longer to bite into the threads below the old bolt.  Now it hangs on just tight enough to keep the seal and no oil leak thus far.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:20:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Snapped Cylinder Head Cover Bolt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.