Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Proposed seat mod: advice/criticisms/thoughts? (Read 206 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Proposed seat mod: advice/criticisms/thoughts?
09/01/17 at 22:55:29

Hey guys, I wanna have a go at modifying my seat further. The attached image shows what I'm thinking. The top image is what I have now (slightly modified), the bottom image is what I'd like to do. A friend told me he can't really see the difference, but it's more about ergonomics than looks (although, I like the look). I have a set of Ed.L's 4" forward controls on the way to go with it.

I think the best way to go about this is to pick up a used OEM seat and see if I can modify it far enough for this to work. I'm not sure how but will probably just have to rip into it and see how it goes. I'd like to keep my current seat in case things don't work out.

So, two things: has anyone got any advice, or warnings? Secondly, Has anyone got a used seat I could consider buying? Even a beat up one! Because I'm having a hell of a time finding one here in Australia. Exchange rates and shipping are just killer from the States but I'm getting to the point where I'll consider just about anything  Shocked

A couple of last notes: I don't plan to carry a passenger, so the rear seat is just there to cover all the wiring on top of the fender. And I've already moved the rectifier to the tool box.

I'm open to all ideas  Smiley

Cheers

Seat-Comparison-2.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: Proposed seat mod: advice/criticisms/thoughts?
Reply #1 - 09/02/17 at 00:01:25

the second image will lower your rear, and is more attractive.  I like that image, but I would have to raise it as I want a taller seat.  A lot of foam to cut away.
The seat cover will then be too loose without some tailoring. A job for a Pro? Cool

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2 - 09/02/17 at 00:41:17

My butt is unusually close to the ground for a guy my height, so the lower seat will actually work for me. I straddled the bike when I had the seat off and it was perfect!!

Yeah I will be removing a lot of foam, and probably a fair bit of plastic too!

It's one of those things where I've considered it from a theoretical point of view (straddling the bike without the seat, checking foot position with a ruler, hung my feet over the pegs on the road) and I'm pretty sure about the ergonomics now ... I just need to have a go at making it a reality.

And ... I know I guy who does auto-trimming. He doesn't know yet, but I'll hit him up to do the recovering  Cool

I'm glad you like the second image. I like it a lot!!  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/02/17 at 06:24:23

I like it.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 09/02/17 at 11:19:59

Road: likely you won't have to touch the plastic. The side bit is very shallow. Also, you can avoid disturbing the rectifier.  Cool

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 09/03/17 at 06:09:04

If the rear part of the seat is just to cover the wires, maybe consider a solo seat and a fender bib?  Just a suggestion since you're having trouble finding an oem seat.  An aftermarket seat would open up your options.

I do like the look in the second picture with the cut down seat, though!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/03/17 at 16:38:52

I have a seat off an 05 (perfect condition) that you can have for the cost of shipping. I am in the US.  I can not use it now that the frame is cut.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 09/03/17 at 16:41:26

That's a good deal!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 09/03/17 at 17:13:16

If you think of the stock seat as a sandwich ,bread- meat -bread, you need only to take out the meat,glue the layers of bread together,with the stock cover going back on with the extra material ending up under the seat where it can be trimmed or doubled over and reattached .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 09/03/17 at 17:24:17

MShipley wrote on 09/03/17 at 16:38:52:
I have a seat off an 05 (perfect condition) that you can have for the cost of shipping. I am in the US.  I can not use it now that the frame is cut.

Wow! Thanks heaps  Grin
I'll send a pm  Grin

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 09/03/17 at 17:40:19

zipidachimp wrote on 09/02/17 at 11:19:59:
Road: likely you won't have to touch the plastic. The side bit is very shallow. Also, you can avoid disturbing the rectifier.  Cool

Hey Zipi, the side is shallow, although the part on the rear seat is actually a bit higher than it looks. As for the rectifier, I've already moved that out of the way Smiley I saw on the forum that someone cut out the bump in the pan that accommodates the rectifier, flipped that piece over, and plastic-welded it back into the space. Once I get hold of another seat I'll be keen to get it apart and have a good look  Smiley

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #11 - 09/03/17 at 17:44:13

Tocsik wrote on 09/03/17 at 06:09:04:
If the rear part of the seat is just to cover the wires, maybe consider a solo seat and a fender bib?  Just a suggestion since you're having trouble finding an oem seat.  An aftermarket seat would open up your options.

I do like the look in the second picture with the cut down seat, though!

Hi Tocsik, Thanks for the suggestion. A solo seat with a bib was my plan B. A friend loaned me the stock seat off his Sportster so I could place it on the frame to see if that would work. I probably could get it to work with some modding, but honestly, I wasn't really happy with the look. I've got an idea in mind with this one it now looks like I'll be able to see it through!   Smiley

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 09/03/17 at 17:47:09

and if the postage from the States is too horrific, my offer still stands.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 09/03/17 at 17:47:28

batman wrote on 09/03/17 at 17:13:16:
If you think of the stock seat as a sandwich ,bread- meat -bread, you need only to take out the meat,glue the layers of bread together,with the stock cover going back on with the extra material ending up under the seat where it can be trimmed or doubled over and reattached .

Yeah I was thinking along those lines. The area and shape on top of the seat shouldn't change very much, so the top of the cover should fit similarly to how it does now. Although, the different slant between the front and back seats will change it a bit. If I can keep it symmetrical it may still look OK.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #14 - 09/14/17 at 03:25:40

gizzo wrote on 09/03/17 at 17:47:09:
and if the postage from the States is too horrific, my offer still stands.

Hey Gizzo, I just saw this message! Thanks mate. I may even follow up on your offer. The two piece seat could be an option if things don't work out with the one-piece.

Unless, of course, you sell the bobber in the meantime and the buyer takes all the stock parts with it  Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:26:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Proposed seat mod: advice/criticisms/thoughts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.