Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
K&N filter will likely damage your bike. (Read 330 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: K&N filter will likely damage your bike.
Reply #15 - 09/02/17 at 11:40:21

you didn't get a bracket?

WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #16 - 09/02/17 at 12:50:25

Surely the problem isn't the lack of the bracket! Shocked  From what I understand, he can't get the boot to cover the hole and seat all the way around? Undecided

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #17 - 09/02/17 at 14:58:47

@Verslagen,

Don't worry I got the bracket! I was just holding it position so the gf could photograph it for k&n. I just wanted to show it squashing against the top. When I first had it in it looked alright till I noticed that it was pulling away at the top, then I spent some hours with a flashlight peering into the cavity and trying to work out how the filter fits into the grooves eventually I could see that it was being pushed away from where it is meant to seal at the top simply because it was squashed so hard against the top and the top was sloping backwards.

What is so freaking nuts is that it is so much larger than the OEM. Anyway as I said at the beginning, I've known about this issue for a while but it's only recently that I have discovered and SALB has confirmed that somehow sand seems to be able to make it's way right up to the filter when another bike, my GS in this instance does not have that problem. And this makes a perhaps slight seal separation, that would not normally be a big deal into something with potential serious consequences.

I also would like to note that regarding the OEM filter, the Hi Flo filter has THREE TIMES as many pleats! That must translate to a significantly er.. higher flow. On my GS for example I did not notice any increase in pleats from the OEM to the Hi Flo. Check it out...

« Last Edit: 06/28/18 at 15:20:43 by eau de sauvage »  

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #18 - 09/03/17 at 03:48:11

I've seen sand got through the stock filter, too. Can't understand how it got there.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #19 - 09/03/17 at 14:59:18

I am not sure why so many are hot-to-trot to use K & N filters.  More air flow?  Why?  Besides, K & N has a LOUSY reputation for actually doing what their filters are supposed to do: namely FILTER the air.

I wouldn't touch a K & N for any reason.

I see no reason why one would change from stock unless it is for looks - like on a cafe bike.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 09/03/17 at 15:51:32

IMO, the Old Feller mod beats stock and K&N. Shoot a light dose of oil on it and I can't picture a better one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 09/03/17 at 17:46:06

I agree , Oldfeller's is way better than K&N ,it filters better ,you need to oil it once a year(in N.Y.) and it's top shelf dishwasher safe ,and reusable, cost is about 1/4  ,it has no pleats (less restrictive ,at each bend the filter material in the K&N is compressed and airflow slows),and a can of spray oil a year doesn't break the bank.K&N filter is over priced.the cotton filter only takes out the big stuff ,is not good in moist air (cotton absorbs water ).and the oil is costly as well ,and needs to be applied much more often.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #22 - 09/03/17 at 23:01:43

More importantly the OldFeller one actually fits and will not let sand sneak around the corner.

Q: How many grains of sand does it take to damage your cylinder walls?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:15:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K&N filter will likely damage your bike.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.