Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How many gears do we need? (Read 133 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
How many gears do we need?
08/29/17 at 03:36:47

I went riding with a new friend the other day. He's got a new HD Sporty 883. I told him before we left ""I'll beat ya off the lights, but you'll probably wind her out past me over 100 km/hr (62 mph). It was all talk because I had only read (on here mostly) that was the case. Anyway, I was surprised ... I smoked him from a standing start!

Then, up around 100 km/hr (62 mph) I still had plenty of pull to keep up with him (keep in mind I've only been riding for about a year). He had a gear or two on me, but it made zero difference. At one point we may have hit 140 km/hr (86 mph) - overtaking traffic - no problem (and me, with my 'square-ish' saddlebags)

Anyway, it got me thinking about a common complaint I've heard about the LS650 - "It needs another gear." And, that got me thinking further ...

When I was tuning my carb, I installed a tach - I have access to a space where I can test ride the bike, so I wound her out to find out what she could do. That was 150 km/hr (93 mph) at around 6000 rpm. At that speed my open faced helmet almost blows off my head, but the bike absolutely purrs.

I really think people get so used to the torque of this bike, and commuting at low revs, so anything above 4000 rpm feels weird. But honestly, after an hours trip in the 100km/hr + range, commuting feels strange to me.

I've started to think of my bike as a four speed (with a token 5th). It's really changed the way I appreciate what she can do.

Tell me I'm wrong!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: How many gears do we need?
Reply #1 - 08/29/17 at 04:10:15

The 150 kph indicated might be a little exaggerated if you are running the original IRC tyres, apparently these make the speedo read fast. There are a number on this forum who think that the fifth gear in standard form is just a token. If the bike needs anything, it's probably Dave's Kawasaki front pulley idea rather than a sixth gear which would involve Suzuki in a lot of tooling up, pattern and mold making. If you wish to customise the bike to your liking, read the threads about Dave's Kawasaki front pulley. front pulley

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 08/29/17 at 04:20:32

The front pulley works very well, I have it on my '09 S40.  I just wish that Suzuki had seen fit to apply the gearing change to the 5th gear only and leave the first 4 as they are.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/29/17 at 05:00:48

The need for a 6th speed....or the Kawasaki pulley conversion don't increase the overall speed of the bike.  The taller gearing allows for a more relaxed and comfortable cruise at steady highway speeds.  It is somewhat hard to believe that a change from 23 teeth to 25 teeth (8.7%) makes that much difference, as it only drops the engine rpm 400-450 rpm at most cruise speeds - but that really does make a noticeable change.  After the change is made you may find that for high speed runs into a headwind - you may need to shift to 4th gear (which will be very close to what your current 5th gear is).

Suzuki really should have made the spread between 4th and 5th gear a bit wider..........

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 08/29/17 at 05:04:39

LANCER wrote on 08/29/17 at 04:20:32:
The front pulley works very well, I have it on my '09 S40.  I just wish that Suzuki had seen fit to apply the gearing change to the 5th gear only and leave the first 4 as they are.

I have read about the Kawa pulley mod. I like the idea of the taller top gear. But, I like the setup on the other 4 - although first gear could be a little taller (If I nit-pick). The highest speed limit anywhere here in Aus is 110 km/h so I'm not really that worried about the top end. I certainly wouldn't sacrifice anything of 1-3 to cruise at lower rpm in 5th.  I love the pull in the first three gears ... good enough for me  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 08/29/17 at 05:12:15

Dave wrote on 08/29/17 at 05:00:48:

Suzuki really should have made the spread between 4th and 5th gear a bit wider..........  

What he said!

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #6 - 08/29/17 at 10:23:50

I guess I'll have to be the contrarian.  When cruising some of the mountain passes around here,  dropping down to forth is just about right for accelerating quickly from 55 to 70 without winding the engine up too far.  Of course, the fact that I weigh about 270 in full gear, and some of the grade is 10 percent, doesn't help.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/29/17 at 10:48:30

Practically every bike I've ever owned needed just one more gear...
...and if I had it, I'd probably need another... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/29/17 at 12:34:41

SALB wrote on 08/29/17 at 10:23:50:
I guess I'll have to be the contrarian.  When cruising some of the mountain passes around here,  dropping down to forth is just about right for accelerating quickly from 55 to 70 without winding the engine up too far.  Of course, the fact that I weigh about 270 in full gear, and some of the grade is 10 percent, doesn't help.

I believe that most motorcycles (cruisers, sport touring, touring) with more than 400cc and some reserve HP and torque should have high gear as an overdrive.  Smaller engines just don't have enough reserve power to need one - sport bikes that can go 125 mph already have plenty of gearing.

The high overdrive gear is there for those times when the roads are flat, the winds is calm, and you can enjoy relaxed feel that a lower rpm provides.  When you are climbing the steep mountain roads and enjoying the curves and scenery, when you need to pass in a hurry - you don't need to be in high gear and will get more benefit from using a lower gear.

Badwolf and I currently are running double Kawasaki pulleys (front and back), and MMRanch does occasionally.........I don't shift into high gear until I get over 60 mph - and it works really well for me on the light Cafe' bike.

How many folks that ride a 10 - 24 speed bicycle can ride everywhere in high gear? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #9 - 08/29/17 at 13:49:13

Dave wrote on 08/29/17 at 12:34:41:
SALB wrote on 08/29/17 at 10:23:50:

I believe that most motorcycles (cruisers, sport touring, touring) with more than 400cc and some reserve HP and torque should have high gear as an overdrive.  Smaller engines just don't have enough reserve power to need one - sport bikes that can go 125 mph already have plenty of gearing.

The high overdrive gear is there for those times when the roads are flat, the winds is calm, and you can enjoy relaxed feel that a lower rpm provides.  When you are climbing the steep mountain roads and enjoying the curves and scenery, when you need to pass in a hurry - you don't need to be in high gear and will get more benefit from using a lower gear.

Badwolf and I currently are running double Kawasaki pulleys (front and back), and MMRanch does occasionally.........I don't shift into high gear until I get over 60 mph - and it works really well for me on the light Cafe' bike.

How many folks that ride a 10 - 24 speed bicycle can ride everywhere in high gear? Huh

I agree.  However, in my situation, having the gearing close together has it's advantages. Cool  I kinda wish we did have a sixth gear that was as close to fifth as fifth is to forth.  I want a close ratio transmission? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 08/29/17 at 20:17:11

IslandRoad wrote on 08/29/17 at 05:04:39:

I have read about the Kawa pulley mod. I like the idea of the taller top gear. But, I like the setup on the other 4 - although first gear could be a little taller (If I nit-pick). The highest speed limit anywhere here in Aus is 110 km/h so I'm not really that worried about the top end. I certainly wouldn't sacrifice anything of 1-3 to cruise at lower rpm in 5th.  I love the pull in the first three gears ... good enough for me  Smiley

I have the Kaw. pulley on my S40 since it is the more sedate of the 2 Suzuki's and I find the the slightly taller gearing does not hamper the coming off the line at all.  The engines torque does the job just fine and you get a few more mph in 1st gear before shifting to 2nd which I like.  The normal 1st gear is just too short anyway.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #11 - 08/29/17 at 20:32:44

LANCER wrote on 08/29/17 at 20:17:11:
IslandRoad wrote on 08/29/17 at 05:04:39:

I have the Kaw. pulley on my S40 since it is the more sedate of the 2 Suzuki's and I find the the slightly taller gearing does not hamper the coming off the line at all.  The engines torque does the job just fine and you get a few more mph in 1st gear before shifting to 2nd which I like.  The normal 1st gear is just too short anyway.

hmm ... you've just about sold me on the pulley mod  Cheesy

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 08/29/17 at 21:34:58

I'm the one who hunted up the Kawasaki pulley idea because I really like having a Super-Slab gear .   The 140/90-15 Commander II and the front pulley together make for about 15% overdrive. GPS/Standard speedometer difference.
So.  I don't need to shift in the middle of big intersections anymore .
      I can pull out into 30 mph zones and make the limit by time I'm going to second.
      If I do a power take-off , it takes a sports bike to keep up !  Wink
      My motor sounds like its Idling at 50
      I don't do "Wheelies" anymore ...
      I can go to Lancers house on the Super Slab running 75 + mph and be relaxed while doing it !   Cool

I only ran the rear Kawasaki pulley for a test period . I've got a standard motor and don't have the power to run that tall of a gear.  
But !
I use a GPS all the time ... w/ both Kawasaki pulleys on my bike ran 80 mph in second gear !  Shocked

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 09/02/17 at 08:03:14

For me, the old 4 speed in my '86 is perfect. I could care less how fast it is top end. If I want to go faster, I'll ride Another Bike. The 4 speed is fun. stick it in a gear and ride. Change gears if you feel like it. It's got character in spades. Too bad it's leaving home.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 09/02/17 at 13:16:13

Six
6 gears is perfect for almost all bikes ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:54:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › How many gears do we need?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.