ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: trans issues
Reply #15 - 08/28/17 at 10:53:59

mommas thumper wrote on 08/28/17 at 04:47:57:
it is sitting at a suzuki dealer they have found a bent shift fork an damaged shift collar.

I have to assume they were talking about internal stuff and not the external shifter mech.

So to "fix" this and maybe discover it, they've had to split the cases.  You must have deep pockets.
Did they show you the damage?
I would be very skeptical of such a diagnosis.

It's very rare that the internals have ever been damaged or at least never reported.
A few of the early bikes had issues with the external shifter mech.

WWW   IP Logged
mommas thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/29/17 at 04:07:56

verslagen1 wrote on 08/28/17 at 10:53:59:
mommas thumper wrote on 08/28/17 at 04:47:57:
it is sitting at a suzuki dealer they have found a bent shift fork an damaged shift collar.

I have to assume they were talking about internal stuff and not the external shifter mech.

So to "fix" this and maybe discover it, they've had to split the cases.  You must have deep pockets.
Did they show you the damage?
I would be very skeptical of such a diagnosis.

It's very rare that the internals have ever been damaged or at least never reported.
A few of the early bikes had issues with the external shifter mech.

no I do not have deep pockets an ya I am going to go look at the damage.Like I said before I know this shop an owner an trust them
I just hope this never happens again.we bought this after reading online about how good the S40 is i just hope this is a one time thing

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/29/17 at 06:19:41

I've horsed my bike around pretty hard, and seen idiots come and go for twelve years , people stomping, literally stomping on the shifter, and nobody has Ever damaged the guts of the transmission.
Eegor bought a bike that had bearings and stuff messed up, but that was from the belt tension.  
I have no idea what was done to cause such, unless it's been dropped at speed and the shifter shoved Up,
I'd be in the shop, looking at the bent part and knowing that it is what was in my transmission.
I've Accidentally shifted into first when I shifted my weight at a light, and killed it. So, I'm not able to understand how it's possible to put a shift fork in a bind that will bend it.
How long was the bike in the shop before they told you it was a bent fork?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 08/29/17 at 06:27:34

One thing that likely could happen to a transmission, could be if someone left foot pressure on the shift pedal after the shift...or the lever was binding a bit and kept pressure on the shift fork all the time.  The transmission gears/dogs are held in place by small steel balls and springs, and the shifting fork is supposed to be centered in the groove and not touching either side once the shift is completed.  If the shifting fork is rubbing on one side of the groove - it can overheat and possible warp.

Evidence of this would be a worn surface on the shift fork and mating gear, bluing from heat, or a rough surface where it should be smooth.  This most likely would have created a noise that would have been noticeable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mommas thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/30/17 at 04:39:02

How long was the bike in the shop before they told you it was a bent fork? [/quote]

the bike has been in the shop for over a week they checked all external linkage and where able to get it to hang up and determined it was internal.hope to get down there later today to look things over

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 08/30/17 at 16:58:21

Post some pics if you can. It might be helpful to someone else down the road.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:40:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trans issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.