Send Topic Print
Harvey (Read 292 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Harvey
Reply #30 - 08/29/17 at 14:50:47

This is a crisis. Sad comes when we see how many people are homeless, jobless and uninsured. Not everybody has flood insurance. Tons of homes in New Orleans weren't rebuilt. Businesses went broke.
The number of dead will climb as waters recede. This is a really big deal. Unprecedented rainfall. And right on top of and stalled, Stalled, the fourth biggest city in America. That's not normal at all.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #31 - 08/29/17 at 15:09:38

Even worse when people start to rebuild, many may not be able to even if they have insurance.  After Katrina, many of the insurers told they customers they had to prove it was wind or water damage that caused the initial failure.  Of course the adjusters always told the customers it whatever coverage they didn't have.  There were reports of people who had multiple coverages and it took years for the insurance companies to reconcile.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #32 - 08/30/17 at 12:23:13

My wife just stopped to get gas;  $4.43/gal.  OKLAHOMA

YEP😕

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 08/30/17 at 12:29:37

GG, might have to bring gas with me.  Gas is still under $3 here.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #34 - 08/30/17 at 12:48:11

High prices keep people from buying what they don't have to have.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #35 - 08/31/17 at 12:55:06

I see that gas prices shot 10 to 50 cents per gallon here in Houston.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #36 - 08/31/17 at 13:21:49

It was at two dollars the day before it got ugly. Now it's forty cents more.
Longview.

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #37 - 08/31/17 at 14:10:39

The great flood of Texas, is finally receding.  Many of us will never be the same.  Texas isn't known for puny anything, though.  We had the greatest drought in history a few years ago.  Don't recall much whining.  

In spite of the media horror treatment, many have services back, much of the water is going down, we're hearing miraculous stories about people helping each other, doing that bootstrap thing, and starting to rebuild better lives together; as we have before.  

So  it seems pretty obvious Texas at least is recovering already, with less fuss and probably less cost than predicted.  I'm told it's a state of mind.  

In the mean time, the weather is on the way east and north.  Ya'll be careful up there too please.   Smiley  Those of us who remember to be are grateful.  

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #38 - 08/31/17 at 15:57:10

Gas prices are back down to $2 something.  Apparently the price hike was a computer error/problem.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #39 - 09/01/17 at 00:27:30

I see there are two threads on Harvey, so I will repost what I wrote in the other thread.

mpescatori wrote on 09/01/17 at 00:17:06:
European news are all over Harvey, in the news we get as much as 10' out of every 30' on Harvey.
That's a lot of airtime, even squeezing out EU domestic policies, Africans immigrarting on inflatable dinghies and two earthquakes (in Italy) in the last 12 months.

A word from one who's seen it all happen more than once, what those people need, much beyond food...
- a car to go back to work; if their car was parked (engine off) when flooded, chances are it is still workable - but it will take time and money; if you have an old jalopy sitting around, consider donating it;
- a place to live; flooded homes, if built in lightweight timber, may need tearing down; if you have an old trailer or caravan, small as it may be, it still beats living in a tent;
- furniture; modern day furniture is not made of solid wood, it is actually industrial crap, and if it's flooded it will decay faster than you can say "wow"; so if you have any old stuff in the garage, polish it and donate it... bedsheets too.
- Pots'n'pans, and cutlery !!!
- TOYS and BOOKS ! (No, I'm not talking Playstation, I mean dolls and footballs and old bicycles and those old Hardy Boys' and Roald Dahl that have been collecting dust in the garage ever since Junior left for college - and he's a married man now)

How to donate ? Either your local Church/Parish is collecting and participating in an organized architecture,
or you can donate directly to reputable organizations (Masonic Lodges and Shriners are a good example)

Wish you all the best.

Smiley

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 09/01/17 at 12:29:39

The leftover rain has moved into KY this morning, it is a pretty insignificant drizzle compared to what you got in Texas.

I helped with the building inspections when Butler and Falmouth were flooded by the Licking River 20 year ago - the houses and business were such a mess, it is hard to imagine what was lost.  Even now 20 year later you can see the empty lots where houses were taken down and not replaced.

Texas_Homey.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #41 - 09/02/17 at 19:53:53

Yes, the water is gone or going, the electricity is back in most places and I will actually be back at work on Tuesday. I feel blessed to have made it through this without any real consequences specially after what I saw today. My church today cooked up 300 dinners to deliver to a neighborhood near me that was badly affected. I helped to deliver the food. No sooner did we turn into the neighborhood all you could see was all of the people's belongings (and broken sheet rock) piled up into large trash mounds. It was so sad to see this, and that that this is an affluent neighborhood. I cannot image the emotional hurt that those that know they do not have the money to rebuild are experiencing. But good people are banding together, contributing in any way they can, neighbor helping neighbor and we will be back on our feet shortly.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:35:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Harvey

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.