Send Topic Print
Starter ?? (Read 64 times)
Krusher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starter ??
08/24/17 at 11:14:41

Recently my starter quite.( No big Deal)  I ordered a brand new one from MotoVan. I put it together and it just spun as if the gears where not there. I removed the side cover. Everything was fine? After looking at this for awhile I discovered that the starter was spinning the wrong direction. I did try to look this up on the web and found the only way this can happen is if the magnets are in backwards causing the polarity to reverse and the starter to spin the wrong way. Have anyone ever seen this? Is there a problem with the wiring or just a bad starter?

Thanks for any input

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Starter ??
Reply #1 - 08/24/17 at 14:10:53

Steve H wrote on 06/10/14 at 16:14:08:
Looking at the starter motor from the gear end, it should spin clockwise.

Most bike starters have two end caps and the cylinder with the magnets in it. All this is held together by long screws.  I have seen some of the cylinders keyed the same 180º apart aparantly to allow the cylinder to be used on a bike that requires the starter to spin the other direction.  I have also seen some brush plates that could be put in 180º out from the way they were installed or the brushes could be connected backwards. Either will cause the direction of rotation to reverse.  Ask me how I know  Embarrassed

I'm convinced that your starter is turning the wrong direction.  The fact that it is engaging and turning, even though not starting the bike, should indicate the battery is in correctly.  The electronics in the decomp unit wouldn't like reverse polarity and I doubt they would do anything other than maybe release a little magic smoke.

The starter spins clockwise, causing counter-clockwise on the gear next to it, causing clockwise on the gear next to the flywheel, causing counter-clockwise on the flywheel which if looking from that side of the bike would be the direction of engine rotation. The starting clutch only catches if the gear rotates this direction. The other way, it just spins.

Since you already have the cover off, try catching the flywheel gear and rotating it counter-clockwise.  It should grab and try to turn the engine. Clockwise, it should spin pretty freely.

WWW   IP Logged
Krusher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/24/17 at 14:46:41

yes everything is working the way it should. I was just asking if there should be another reason for the starter turning backwards

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/24/17 at 15:16:58

squirrel83ms wrote on 06/24/14 at 12:20:52:
Well it the starter rebuild kit I got off of eBay made it run backwards.  I used the new brushes on the old part it runs great now. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Krusher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/25/17 at 09:41:26

I'm thinking it was assembled backwards from factory

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:33:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.