Carb tuning help. (Read 265 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Carb tuning help.
Reply #15 - 08/21/17 at 07:23:17

Close the throttle gently and roll..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #16 - 08/21/17 at 08:27:03

FWIW, I think Suzuki recommend the idle speed so low (And the gear change speeds) for reasons like emission control and (here in Aus) for noise control. They can be ignored as far as I'm concerned.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #17 - 08/21/17 at 13:33:46

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/21/17 at 07:16:12:
Why in the wide world of sports would you pull in the clutch at 70 mph to coast to a slower speed? This is just a bad technique.

Well it's probably from my decades of driving MTX cages.  To drive most efficiently (use less fuel) I would push the clutch and roll when I know I will be slowing significantly or stopping soon.  Engine braking puts more wear and tear on the engine as well as sucks more fuel into the engine than just letting it idle.  That is why I would do this.  Why wouldn't you?  Huh

Did you misunderstand what I was saying?  I agree it would be silly to do this if you're just slowing down a little but when you are exiting the freeway to a stop sign or for that matter rolling up to any stop sign I don't understand why you wouldn't roll and idle to the stop sign.    

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #18 - 08/21/17 at 16:33:14

Quimrider wrote on 08/21/17 at 13:33:46:
I don't understand why you wouldn't roll and idle to the stop sign.    

Because you never know why you'll have to power out of a situation, and dumping the clutch when sudden power is needed is a sure way to loose traction or control. It's for this reason that I rev-match down shift while slowing, this way I'm always in the power band. Car or bike, I do it the same. Oh, I've never replaced a clutch on any vehicle I've ever owned. That's over 17 cars with a manual transmission and over 20 bikes. Over 1,500,000 miles. My A4 has over 200,000 miles on the OEM clutch and I got 135,000 on the OEM brakes.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 08/21/17 at 18:37:26

Wow, that is impressive Gary !

IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #20 - 08/21/17 at 18:40:14

I guess we just have different strategies but agree on the need to always have power available to get out of a bad situation.  I keep the clutch pulled in and down shift appropriate to the speed I'm rolling at so I always have power available.  Thankfully I've only ever had to get out of harms way once.  That was coming up to a traffic jam on the freeway.  I heard screeching tires glanced in my mirror and saw the side of a car approaching me fast.  I had already aligned myself with the shoulder as an escape route.  I instantly was WOT and was 5 cars ahead on the shoulder in what seemed like .2 seconds before I let off the throttle.  I had no problems using the clutch appropriately for the fastest possible acceleration in an emergency situation.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 08/21/17 at 20:32:21

I have to agree with Gary, I down shift and use engine braking ,I've only replaced my front brakes once in 30,000 miles and have never replaced the clutch.(clutch plates don't wear out on these bikes , 8000 members an only one recorded case) Are you really worried about gas mileage on a bike that should avg .about50 mpg? If you down shift an let the clutch out each time the bike will no longer stall,try it you'll see.If you need to evade you can do it by grabbing some throttle(faster) because the clutch is already out and your in the proper gear .when you pull in the clutch ,and close the throttle at 70 mph the motor turning 4700 rpm and the idle jet is only supplying enough fuel for 1100 rpm ,why wouldn't stall ? how long does it take for the motor to slow to 1100 rpm with no load on it (forever) and there is a super lean fuel /air mix that won't support combustion.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #22 - 08/22/17 at 05:21:17

We will just have to agree to disagree then. Your technique is counter to what many experienced riders practice. Good luck.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 08/22/17 at 06:32:14

Haven't done this on a street bike, but it's not uncommon to downshift multiple gears when riding/racing MX.  

Not recommend on the street because you'll probably lose control if you dump the clutch. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:15:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb tuning help.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.