Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Opinion on removing the belt guard (Read 319 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Opinion on removing the belt guard
Reply #15 - 08/15/17 at 19:44:45

What do you think happens to the normal type folks like MM and me ?        We bleed.    

Motorcycles aren't dangerous enough ... now your thinking about taking the chain/belt guard off ???  Roll Eyes

It doesn't weigh enough to justify the added hazard-ness.   Just paint it so it don't show (satin or flat black )

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #16 - 08/15/17 at 21:03:17

MM, it's not about weight  ... just looks  Cool

My boss said to me "everything on a motorcycle is there for a reason". I don't doubt that, and I always think twice (and seek advice where possible) before making mods. However, sometimes the 'reason' is not always what we think it is. For example, I found a throttle restrictor in my bike. As best I can tell it was there for noise compliance reasons - Noise compliance on a stock S40!?

Funny thing is, when I first bought a bike I said to my friend "I don't want to muck around working on it, I just wanna ride it". That's partly why I first bought a Ninja. But, motorcycling, and the S40, have taught me a lot about myself in a short time.

I've discovered, among other things, I like to tweak  Grin

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #17 - 08/15/17 at 21:10:05

I'll offer another example, just because I've got a day off work and I'm in a chatty mood Smiley

I'm swapping out my turn signals next weekend. I want them to look a specific way, but I also want them to be seen by car drivers, and not to let in water! I forked out 100 bucks a pair for quality billet aluminium signals with clear lenses and amber LEDs, and have had a hell of a time finding a minimalist mounting system that will put them at just the right spot for looks and visibility.

However, it's been great fun, and very rewarding to manufacture my own brackets etc. And I get to spend a day with my son (who is a sparky) next weekend while he 'supervises' the re-wiring.

This little bike is the gift that just keeps giving.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/16/17 at 07:13:17

IslandRoad wrote on 08/15/17 at 21:10:05:
I'll offer another example, just because I've got a day off work and I'm in a chatty mood Smiley

I'm swapping out my turn signals next weekend. I want them to look a specific way, but I also want them to be seen by car drivers, and not to let in water! I forked out 100 bucks a pair for quality billet aluminium signals with clear lenses and amber LEDs, and have had a hell of a time finding a minimalist mounting system that will put them at just the right spot for looks and visibility.

However, it's been great fun, and very rewarding to manufacture my own brackets etc. And I get to spend a day with my son (who is a sparky) next weekend while he 'supervises' the re-wiring.

This little bike is the gift that just keeps giving.

I feel the same way.  Please post some pics and a review of the signals when you get them mounted  Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 08/16/17 at 07:34:13

IslandRoad wrote on 08/15/17 at 21:03:17:
My boss said to me "everything on a motorcycle is there for a reason".

Ask him about the chrome head covers that block our access to the spark plug... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #20 - 08/16/17 at 14:39:11

[quote author=435A565A553B0 link=1502785012/15#18 date=1502892797]IslandRoad wrote on 08/15/17 at 21:10:05:
... Please post some pics and a review of the signals when you get them mounted  Smiley

Will do Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #21 - 08/16/17 at 14:42:08

Serowbot wrote on 08/16/17 at 07:34:13:

Ask him about the chrome head covers that block our access to the spark plug... Huh

Aren't they little mirrors so people can see who took the photo when you post an image of the bike on a forum?  Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 08/16/17 at 14:47:40

IslandRoad wrote on 08/16/17 at 14:42:08:

Aren't they little mirrors so people can see who took the photo when you post an image of the bike on a forum?  Smiley

Well... that explains why the crazed then melted after the 1st pic.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #23 - 08/16/17 at 15:03:38

verslagen1 wrote on 08/16/17 at 14:47:40:
IslandRoad wrote on 08/16/17 at 14:42:08:

Well... that explains why the crazed then melted after the 1st pic.   Grin

Grin Grin

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #24 - 08/16/17 at 16:48:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/15/17 at 17:10:29:
gizzo wrote on 08/15/17 at 11:48:31:
My bobber's never had the pulley cover or the belt guard on. Hasn't caused me any problems.

Crash and get something that matters in a pinch point and that won't be true any more. The shields are there for the rare moment when you need it.

Sigh  Roll Eyes . This isn't my first rodeo, you know? I do realise the small risk presented by the choice I made. IR only asked what other people were doing so I shared my experience. I would never try to impose My values on the rest of you. I think that you guys are just as capable of making your own choices as I am.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/17/17 at 10:27:55

I don't run the belt guard......hope I never regret it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 08/17/17 at 10:56:03

Just a small deflector at each pinch point would be a good idea.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #27 - 08/17/17 at 12:50:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/17/17 at 10:56:03:
Just a small deflector at each pinch point would be a good idea.

I like that idea JOG!

My small saddlebags are probably larger deflectors than what you had in mind for the rear pinch point Cool. They are a bit contradictory to the minimalist look I'm working toward, but they're a practical necessity (and they are removable). I'm just picking little things on the bike and kind of tidying it up  Smiley

I've seen a photo of a bobber-style Savage that had a hidden battery, no air-box, and a very thin low seat ... and saddlebags. I wouldn't have expected that to work visually. But it actually looked great - for those times when "you ride a bad-ass bobber, but the missus wants you to pick up milk and bacon!"  Grin

IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #28 - 08/18/17 at 04:00:38

One Aussi without-
P.jpg  

P.jpg
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #29 - 08/18/17 at 22:02:49

Great looking bike! ... But I can't even imagine riding with those handlebars!!  Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:24:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Opinion on removing the belt guard

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.