Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Opinion on removing the belt guard (Read 319 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Opinion on removing the belt guard
08/15/17 at 01:16:52

I would like to remove the belt guard, for purely aesthetic reasons. I read a comment on this forum where someone described that as a newbie-mistake.

Anyone got an opinion, or experience, about this?

I don't carry a passenger so protection for the passenger's  left foot is not going to be an issue.

What could go wrong?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Opinion on removing the belt guard
Reply #1 - 08/15/17 at 01:50:00

You get in a bind, take a dab, in which case your leg and foot always move back some 'cause the bike is still movlng ...... then wham !! your pants cuff cycles around the pulley once and bangs your ankle up something fierce as the cloth gets sucked in while it is doing it ---- the yanking always shifts your weight on the seat some throwing your balance off ---- then you crash a little bit 'cause you lost your dab on the low side.

Or, you stretch out a bit while cruising down the freeway and WHAMMO, your pants cuff gets caught and pulled in at high rpm ......  breaking your ankle or worse.   Then you crash the rest of the way at 65 mph.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2 - 08/15/17 at 02:02:48

Thanks Oldfeller, I hadn't considered that scenario. Good enough for me. The guard stays put. I'm not that desperate to look coo!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/15/17 at 04:56:45

If you are talking about the chrome belt guard that is attached to the swing arm......about the only danger is the rear tire throwing crap onto the belt.  Little stones can be wedged into the teeth and damage the belt or pulleys.  My Cafe bike has a much smaller guard that is located where the front of the tire passes the belt.

If you are talking about the pulley cover on the engine.....it is best to leave that in place as your shoe laces and pant leg can get caught between the belt and pulley.

On my Cafe' conversion my foot is back by the pulley cover, and even with the pulley cover in place I did have my boot laces get blown into the narrow slots in the cover.....and the belt/pulley yanked my shoe laces off my boot!

You could possibly trim the cover a little bit and reduce the size....without making the area too dangerous.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/15/17 at 05:51:08

To my knowledge Dave is the most graceful rider of all of us, and in all his years riding trials he never had to take a dab, ever, nor has he ever done anything dumb, like stretching his feet backwards (he stands up on the foot pegs instead).

And yet Dave, DAVE no less, has had his laces snatched off his riding boots by a hungry belt and pulley.

Roll Eyes       enough said

What do you think happens to the normal type folks like MM and me ?    Undecided    We bleed.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 08/15/17 at 06:23:50

Dave, yeah I was referring to the guard that covers the belt, not the one that covers the pulley. It's not a huge issue, just an idea I thought might make the bike look a bit more the way I want it to. Your comments have inspired me to consider having a go at making up something smaller.

Ultimately, I would love to do a bobber conversion but I ride the bike all the time and would like to keep it road legal. Most of the distinctive aspects of a bobber are definitely not road-legal here. So I'm just trimming mine down a bit for a more minimalist look.

I've been researching some options and I reckon I could probably come up with a legal-bobber but I'll have to wait until I can afford a second bike purely as a project.

The Savage was only released here for a few years originally. So there aren't many cheap ones around. On the other hand the older bikes qualify for 'club plates' so registration can be simpler and cheaper.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/15/17 at 06:32:00

Mine's been off for 10 years,... and I'm Dave's polar opposite.  If there was a way to get myself tangled in the drive, I would have.
Stay away from huge bell bottoms and flowy dresses and you'll be okay... Smiley

When I was a teen, I had a Hodaka.  In mid jump, my bell bottom pant leg caught in the chain and pulled my ankle tight to the engine case, killing the engine.  When I landed, I couldn't get my foot to the ground, and the bike naturally fell to left onto the trapped leg.
Ever try picking up a bike that has you nailed to it on the kickstand side?...
It took some embarrassingly awkward gymnastics...
Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 08/15/17 at 06:53:57

Rather than remove it I bobbed it just past the rear of the shock(I cut the curl off as I didn't like the look) the guard still provides protection for both me and my passenger.If your doing a bobber make the cut at a 45degree angle  or to match the angle of your rear fender.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/15/17 at 07:35:34

That's what I've done on beast, been that way a couple of years.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/15/17 at 08:37:19

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/15/17 at 05:51:08:

To my knowledge Dave is the most graceful rider of all of us, and in all his years riding trials he never had to take a dab

Thanks for the compliment....however my trials riding did have some creative spills now and then.  One day I popped up onto a log and while I was balanced on the back wheel on top of the log......it turns out I was in 2nd gear and the engine stalled.  I was too high to reach the ground, and the bike and I tipped over to the right side and I slid down a creek bank head first and stuck my helmet in the mud!  My neighbor and his son were walking in our woods.....and got to see the whole thing!

Look at the RYCA site and there are plenty of cut down belt guards to look at.  Once fellow made cutouts and inserted screen - it looked cool.

http://www.rycamotors.com/RYCA-customer-builds-page2.html

« Last Edit: 08/15/17 at 12:14:42 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 08/15/17 at 11:48:31

My bobber's never had the pulley cover or the belt guard on. Hasn't caused me any problems.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 08/15/17 at 12:33:02

Unless you intend doing extensive bobbing or modding, I don't really see the point, your resale on a stock bike may be better.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/15/17 at 17:10:29

gizzo wrote on 08/15/17 at 11:48:31:
My bobber's never had the pulley cover or the belt guard on. Hasn't caused me any problems.

Crash and get something that matters in a pinch point and that won't be true any more. The shields are there for the rare moment when you need it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 08/15/17 at 17:36:45

jcstokes wrote on 08/15/17 at 12:33:02:
Unless you intend doing extensive bobbing or modding, I don't really see the point, your resale on a stock bike may be better.

I have considered the resale value. At the end of the day I've decided to make the bike they I want it to be, not the way I think the next owner might want it be Smiley

Not that I have plans to sell it!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #14 - 08/15/17 at 17:37:17

Thanks for the feedback guys. Some really interesting comments there Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:35:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Opinion on removing the belt guard

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.