Send Topic Print
Running on PRI (Read 539 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Running on PRI
Reply #45 - 08/21/17 at 13:44:09

If it's coughing in second at twenty on level ground, something probably isn't perfect, but I would play with it at cruising RPM before I got too worked up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #46 - 08/21/17 at 21:49:08

I think you might be shifting to soon you should be shifting closer to 30.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Sosacj21
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 08/25/17 at 18:50:40

Another update. So tested out lower gear riding all week and tested the cruising steady at about 15-20mph in 1st and I'm still sputtering but gears 3-5 feel good. Still getting some popping on upshifting from first to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd but nothing on decel. Also noticed the jardine is starting to turn bluish and brown which is spitting out a blue flame on shutdown  and the main pipe closer to the header is getting a little gold tint. Any suggestions on what could be going on? Also I'm planing to ride down the coast about 100 miles each way in a couple days, from what I described am I good to do so?

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #48 - 08/25/17 at 20:16:08

not for nothing but that slight bucking your getting at lower cruising speeds was a issue that i had and drove me nuts.  as was suggested on another forum post i found a gas station that sold non-ethanol gas and tried a full tank of that. low speed bucking is gone and the after fire/popping in the muffler was lessened.  
i had to do a google search for non ethanol fuel stations, the one i buy at now has it marked as "recreational fuel" at about 50cents/gallon more.  it runs so much better its worth it.

IP Logged
Sosacj21
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 08/26/17 at 12:08:29

not for nothing but that slight bucking your getting at lower cruising speeds was a issue that i had and drove me nuts.  as was suggested on another forum post i found a gas station that sold non-ethanol gas and tried a full tank of that. low speed bucking is gone and the after fire/popping in the muffler was lessened.  
i had to do a google search for non ethanol fuel stations, the one i buy at now has it marked as "recreational fuel" at about 50cents/gallon more.  it runs so much better its worth it.

Cool thanks for that info. I never knew bikes can use Anything other than 91 because that's what I've always been told but I'll definitely start using something different and see how it runs 👍

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #50 - 08/26/17 at 14:00:29

Sosacj21 wrote on 08/26/17 at 12:08:29:

Cool thanks for that info. I never knew bikes can use Anything other than 91 because that's what I've always been told but I'll definitely start using something different and see how it runs 👍

I've had the same experience here in Australia. Our fuel is not blended by default, but 10% ethanol (E10) is available in some places. I spent ages tuning my carb after re-jetting and the spacer mod. Finally had it running beautifully. Then I stopped at a gas station that sells E10. I filled up with (supposedly) straight fuel. As soon as I left that place the bike felt like all the carb tuning had been undone, I had that surge back. I've been there a couple of times with the same result.

That gas station is really convenient because it's on the way out of town, but I never use it. I now keep a fuel can at home, with fuel I know is good, and I just fill up before I go.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Sosacj21
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 09/13/17 at 05:32:22

What's up guys been a little bit but got an update. Started using 87 gas for a couple weeks now and the sputtering has definitely decreased a lot when cruising in lower gears. Still have some loud popping issues when upshifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd but have noticed if I really rev up the engine before shifting is tends not to pop anymore. Also still noticing a blue flame shooting out of the exhaust on shutdown. All in all the bike runs and feels good just these little issues but don't know if they are normal or maybe something I need to try and adjust? Again Current set up is a #52.5 pilot jet, #155 main jet, no white spacer mod with a Jardine slip on exhaust and a raptor petcock

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #52 - 09/13/17 at 06:49:40

with a Jardine slip on exhaust

Very tricky to get that set up to not backfire. Any leaks anywhere and it's gonna.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sosacj21
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 09/13/17 at 07:58:46

Yea I've noticed its not easy but I have checked for leaks and found none so I'm able to live with it just wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign that I need to make an adjustment somewhere. Im assuming that blue flame on shutdown is also normal though?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #54 - 09/13/17 at 08:13:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/13/17 at 06:49:40:
with a Jardine slip on exhaust

Very tricky to get that set up to not backfire. Any leaks anywhere and it's gonna.

The more open and unrestricted the exhaust is.......the more prone it will be to being noisy (including unwanted explosions)!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #55 - 09/13/17 at 14:50:06

Most of the time the throttle is only partly open ,you need to brake down and do the spacer mod ,your running lean in the mid throttle (where you spend most of your time)do to your muffler.when you shift from 1st to2nd ,2nd to 3rd ,your rpm is about 3000 to4000 rpm ,but your closing the throttle leaving only the pilot jet to deliver gas to the air coming in,which is only enough to support combustion at 1100 rpm,the sparkplug can't fire the lean mix(the motor misses ) so it then passes on into the exhaust header where the heat causes it to explode (backfire and /or flames shooting out the muffler)then you reopen the throttle and the mix recovers from lean and the power returns .Doing the needle lift should make a lot of your problems lessen/ disappear.

« Last Edit: 09/13/17 at 23:46:58 by batman »  

IP Logged
Sosacj21
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 09/14/17 at 09:49:23

Ok cool thanks for that info I'll make sure to get this spacer mod done as soon as possible. What size washers again and how many do you think I should use?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #57 - 09/14/17 at 10:10:16

#4 steel machine washers How many to use would depend on your elevation  ,usually 3 if your above 1000ft ,2 if your below or near sea level. you may have to use 2 because of your more open muffler.

IP Logged
Sosacj21
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 09/14/17 at 15:01:41

I live in Southern California so pretty much right at sea level. I'll go with the two washers and test it out to see how that feels

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:42:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running on PRI

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.