Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Photobucket owns TinyPic! BEWARE (Read 48 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Photobucket owns TinyPic! BEWARE
08/10/17 at 14:55:31

We have had several threads on this lately and I don't want to kick a dead horse (well, maybe...it could be entertaining?) but in reading this article I see that the turds at Photobucket apparently own TinyPic, which is where I have all of my pics hosted.  YIKES!

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/photobucket-alternatives-for-third-party/

I'm not sure what to do, but it makes me want to go save all of my images from the detailed how-to posts I have made (and keep a copy for future reference) and upload them on one of the alternative sites.  If they do to TinyPic users what they did to Photobucket users it's going to cripple our forum.  

Cubeload that Rich mentioned previously it pretty cool and very user friendly, the downside is they are a donation-based site that has no guaranteed longevity.  

vgy.me seems like a potential. I read their FAQs and they are trying to grow their business and encourage sharing of photos, etc. but who knows if they will one day play the same game. Site is pretty easy to use. Here is a picture hosted on vgy.me.

Not sure what to really say we should do, if anything.  Maybe Photobucket will get enough heat and turn things back on?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Photobucket owns TinyPic! BEWARE
Reply #1 - 08/10/17 at 20:01:02

If the service is free, then you are the product. I reckon the best solution is to find a  hosting service that charges a competitive rate.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/11/17 at 02:26:02

The TinyPic site is loaded with advertisement.....I hope that makes enough revenue for them that they will just continue to allow it to operate for free (to us).

The downside of all the "moving" ads - is that on my home computer it is somewhat time consuming to download photos......as most of my slow internet connection capacity is used up for their advertising.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 08/11/17 at 06:31:39

Dave wrote on 08/11/17 at 02:26:02:
The downside of all the "moving" ads - is that on my home computer it is somewhat time consuming to download photos......as most of my slow internet connection capacity is used up for their advertising.

Agreed. When I was loading the pics for my recent thread it took me maybe 45 minutes to load the 23 pics. I had to upload several of them multiple times. Out of 5 pics per batch, usually only 1, 2 or 3 would load and the others would flake out and I I had to reload them over and over with the next batch until the job was complete. If this is what I have to deal with for free use that they won't take away from us I can live with it...as if I have a choice!?!?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:19:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Photobucket owns TinyPic! BEWARE

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.