Canada...... (Read 18 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Canada......
08/07/17 at 09:46:12

I thought they were experiencing immigration issues too.....am I wrong?

Papa Bear, or any other northern brother/sister, can you enlighten me, please.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/04/why-trumps-new-immigration-...

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Canada......
Reply #1 - 08/07/17 at 10:23:47

And, indeed, human beings are more than just economic animals. Detractors will surely cite the “give me your tired, your poor” lines from the Emma Lazarus poem as proof that immigration to the United States is not simply about how rich the country can get. And those critics have a point—a point I sympathize with. The United States has been historically exceptional in its generosity, welcoming many of the huddled masses with little economic potential. And there’s something about this generosity that should make all of us proud to be Americans.

That's seems to be the most telling paragraph in the article.  

To be clear on this point - I agree there needs to be immigration reform.  But too often the focus is pointed at only one group.  There should also be more light shed on the quid-pro-quo of the richest "immigrants".  EB-5 green cards are passed out to anyone investing $500K or more in the US.  Many of these folks don't speak English or have to take any tests to be accepted.
Kushner Companies are using the EB-5 Visa program to raise $150 million from Chinese investors to build a New Jersey luxury apartment complex.

While I don't disagree with the spirit of the proposal - we mustn't forget the spirit of the Statue of Liberty either.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 08/07/17 at 10:34:47

That spirit was from a different era.
It should not be discounted, but it should not be taken out of context and instilled in the reality of today's world.

Folks back then were looking to become American's, and the promises it offered.
I am not sure that is the case anymore. Seems some are just using our generosity to annex their own country, beliefs, ideas, etc.

To take this declaration as current, as it still holds the same value, as when it was written, then I would assume you are for unfettered gun ownership, in the spirit it was written, back then, without any mention of restrictions to the weaponry fire ability, etc.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/07/17 at 10:54:54

raydawg wrote on 08/07/17 at 10:34:47:
That spirit was from a different era.
It should not be discounted, but it should not be taken out of context and instilled in the reality of today's world.

Folks back then were looking to become American's, and the promises it offered.
I am not sure that is the case anymore. Seems some are just using our generosity to annex their own country, beliefs, ideas, etc.

But that's true of "the old days" as well.  Every major city has a Chinatown or Little Italy or Greektown.

I'm not saying let everyone in - but let's not paint over them with such a wide brush either.

To take this declaration as current, as it still holds the same value, as when it was written, then I would assume you are for unfettered gun ownership, in the spirit it was written, back then, without any mention of restrictions to the weaponry fire ability, etc.

Not the same thing.  Gun ownership is a right that I support - but like any right, there has to be restrictions - criminal exclusions, etc.  Even the First Amendment has provisions.  Immigration is not a right.  The poem on the Statue is merely the "spirit" of how America treats immigrants.  It's not an instruction.

Let's not forget that legal immigration isn't just a "come on in" type of deal.  There is a fairly rigorous vetting process in place today.

My point is that instead of targeting one group of immigrants, we should be looking at the entire immigration process.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 08/07/17 at 11:46:44

My point is that instead of targeting one group of immigrants, we should be looking at the entire immigration process.

Lets expand your reasoning then......

Why not focus on law breakers of guns, drugs, immigration, hate crimes, etc....

Instead of just, Trump?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/07/17 at 11:59:33

raydawg wrote on 08/07/17 at 11:46:44:

Lets expand your reasoning then......

Why not focus on law breakers of guns, drugs, immigration, hate crimes, etc....

Instead of just, Trump?

Well.....  "Politics, Religion (Tall Table)"
Am I missing something?

Should our president not be of focus?

Further, I've posted about lawbreakers, immigration, insurance and hate crimes before.

And as far as I can tell - this thread has nothing to do with tweety, nor have I mentioned him.

Please note - this is an expression - NOT TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY-
Man, you'd complain if you here hung with a new rope....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 21:36:39

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Canada......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.