Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One front turn signal not working - fixed it... (Read 96 times)
bubbatime
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

One front turn signal not working - fixed it...
08/04/17 at 17:09:05

Hi guys,

New guy here. Just bought a mint 2012 S40 with 5K miles for $1400. Hope I got a decent deal on it. The bike is completely stock and doesn't appear that it was modified in any way.

Question- The right front turn signal is not working. The driving lights illuminate fine. The left turn signal works fine. The right front turn signal does not work. The right rear turn signal works but blinks twice as fast. I inspected both bulbs and they appear fine. Additionally, I swapped the bulbs, and the left turn signal works perfect (with the right bulb), but still the right turn signal does not work with the tested good bulb.

Any clues?   Any fuses to check or blinker fluid to change?   Grin

**Its fixed*** thanks

« Last Edit: 08/04/17 at 18:36:47 by bubbatime »  
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: One front turn signal not working
Reply #1 - 08/04/17 at 17:30:45

The "double fast" means there is no load.  Either the bulb is burned out, the connector is disconnected/faulty, or a wire is cut/broken. Swap out the bulb for one that you know works to rule out the simple things first.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
bubbatime
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/04/17 at 17:35:10

I swapped the perfectly working left bulb into the right socket and the right socket doesnt blink with the good bulb. Swap it back and the left good bulb works fine in the left housing.

Im guessing a bad ground or broken wire somewhere. I have the headlight out and am looking at everything, but it all looks fine as far as I can tell, and my 12V tester light can tell.

IP Logged
bubbatime
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/04/17 at 18:36:05

OK problem solved.  Using the test light, I found that the blinker was working in the wiring behind the head light, and was not working at the turn signal housing, so the I figured the problem was in the 10 inches of wire between the head light housing and turn signal bulb.

A few days ago, I pulled out the headlight to see how to replace it. (I ride at night ONLY, and wanted to know how to change the bulb in 5 minutes, rather than figure it out on the side of a highway) When I put the headlight back in, I pinched the turn signal wires and broke one. It was an easy fix, and now everything is working fine.  Cheesy

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: One front turn signal not working - fixed it..
Reply #4 - 08/04/17 at 18:42:36

Solving the problem is always nice.
Figuring out I caused it...
Not so much..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/06/17 at 08:41:09

Good on you to catch that one. I also have a 2012, and a week after I bought it the turn signals stopped working altogether. Frustrating, couldn't find the problem. Dealer says, "Bring it in". Never my first choice. So I poked around, no luck. Traced the wiring, removed the seat and Lo - a green plastic connector under the seat had come apart. Plugged it back in, all was well. Wrapped a zip-tie around it to hold it fast. All's well that ends well.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 08/07/17 at 08:03:04

Why worry about changing the headlight out on the fly, I don't think it's likely that you'll lose both high and low beams at the same time.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:24:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › One front turn signal not working - fixed it...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.